Project: Natasha

Copied from GTRC (sorry if its in the wrong section)

Well after owning my GTR since May of 07 I think it’s about time I started a build thread. My GTR started out as a nice clean stock GTR with a few minor mods.

Starting point

HKS hipermax 2 coilovers (love these)
Kakimoto tuned ECU (no rev limit or speed cut, unknown mapping)
4” HKS super dragger exhaust
Turbo timer
Tein tension rods
Braided stainless rad hoses

Now for the first little while I owned the car, I told myself I would be keeping it stock. After all it seemed really fast then, and I was still getting used to it. Then I discovered Racing…

The goal

To build the ultimate time attack/circuit racing GTR while not spending more than is necessary to do so. This means using my head instead of my wallet. The emphasis on this project will be to “engineer” the car rather than just throw a bunch of high-end parts together and call it a racecar. Performance wise, the main concern will be handling and response as this will give the best results for my application. This car will not be street legal or well mannered. For the time being, the car will stay in a super street kind of trim, but eventually will venture into unlimited territory.

To start off, I left the engine pretty much stock and tried to focus on handling and reliability. I felt by being slightly underpowered it would improve my driving by forcing me to carry momentum through corners and find the right lines. It was also a lot easier to be aggressive.

Specs as of 08 and up until the last few weeks

In addition to starting point

3” test pipe
14psi on stock turbos
advanced ignition timing
HKS shroom intakes
13” 8 piston Ksport BBK w/ Hawk blue Race pads
KVR rear slotted rotors w/ Hawk HPS+
Braided stainless brake lines all around w/ wilwood 570 fluid
Gramlight 57 Optimise 17x9.5+12 in time attack colours
Toyo R888 255/40R17
Removed rear seats
4 point harness’
Splitfire coil packs
Ported stock manifolds
ACT 6 puck race clutch w/ extreme pressure plate
RG lightweight flywheel
Earls braided lines and fittings for turbos
Koyo rad

Now this setup did me quite well, but after running a lot of it for most of 08 it gave me an idea of where I wanted to go with the car. The first order of business was to get some adjustable suspension links and get a good race setup dialed in. Next I needed to address my high oil temps cutting my time on the track short. Also that pesky Hicas had to go, especially since both of my rear hicas ball joints were shot. A/C also gets the boot. The battery also needs to move to the trunk, an easy way to shift ~40lbs from the front of an already front heavy car.

So I bought:

AMS adjustable RUCAS
AMS adjustable FUCAS
AMS solid subframe bushings
No name oil cooler/relocation kit
B&M 11”X 11” Oil cooler
Small PS cooler (you’ll see why later)
Catch can
Apexi BOV
Bings Z32 toe arms

Currently on the agenda:

Install solid subframe bushings
Have solid diff mounts made and install
Custom hicas lock (will explain this later on)
Install BOV
Install catch can
Relocate battery
Align (new snap on alignment machine at work yeeee!)
Roll fenders (rubbed bad at Mosport on Moss corner)

So this is more or less where I am at right now. I’m kind of half way through the last group of things I mentioned, Just waiting on some parts and some fab work. Once I get some pics up of the progress you guys will get a better idea of whats going on and where I’m at. When I get a chance I will make a post about my plans/parts for the engine build but that part of this project wont be commencing for awhile. My next post should be chock full of pics and updates.

I would love to hear any comments, criticism, ideas that you guys may have. Stay tuned as this will be an ongoing build.

Nate is the man and ironically enough my gf’s name is Natasha.

A great goal and approach to build an awesome car. I just don’t understand why people remove their rear seats? they don’t weigh anything, is their some other reason?

So people don’t ask for rides :stuck_out_tongue:

OP - Nice build, it’s refreshing to see a car that’s built for a reason other than to be baller.

any focus on aero?

and any more plans on weight reduction?

room for tires. I carried I think 6-8 tires in the backseat of my skyline :slight_smile:

Yes, but Aero and paint will be one of the last stages of the build. Aiming for 600hp, so downforce is going to be essential. As much as I love the look of the stock spoiler a big GT wing is going to be a reality. Looking to run a very agressive front lip and a rear diffuser also. Might have a hook up on a full undertray too, but we’ll see when the time comes. Likely going to stay fairly stock on the body. Likely some nismo skirts and see how far I can pull the stock fenders to fit the widest rubber. I can fit 275/40r17 on all 4 without a pull, so it should be interesting.

I tossed the rear seats for a few reasons. For one they are pretty much useless in an R chassis, and this is a dedicated track car so im never going to carry more than one passenger. Secondly, because I’m going to be running a full cage and I have 4 point harness’.

For weight reduction, at this point I’ve just been tossing anything under the hood and the car that isnt useful. The next step will be to gut the interior but still leave the full dash in. Carpets and sound deadener should get the boot. Speakers (only 2 work lol) will be gone soon. Climate control and my head unit will be gone too. Just going to have a toggle switch and pot for heat on the windshield and thats it.

So just did a couple small things today.

Installed my modded PS pump

Front uppers

lots of extra room now

bye bye AC rad, perfect spot for a big ass oil cooler

Hmmm something is missing…

I found a lot of oil in all my intake piping, so I got a little spooked thinking my turbo seals had gone again. I stripped the turbos down and thankfully they appear to be ok. I think I was just getting a lot of oil from the PCV and valve covers, but I’m going to have to keep my eye on it. Going to a catch can system now so it will tell me for sure if its the turbos again.

You look like you’re building a wicked car! Really looking forward to seeing it progress!

Build looks fun man! Since I sold my gtr, I’m really looking forward to building a track only gtr when the budget is higher. That’s looking fun man!

Budget double what you plan on spending lol.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Natasha’s looking goooooodddd!

again, get this done soon nate, youre missing all our meets.

as much as i dislike hard parking, I miss the good ole GTRC meets.

Well some goodies showed up today ready to be installed on the weekend.

Oil cooler, fittings, and PS cooler

My impact shat the bed so this is my new toy. XT7100 is a pretty serious gun. Wanted a MG750 but coudlnt justify the cost at this point. I am just an apprentice after all.

I must say, compared to a lot of the other crap that goes on here, this is a very thought out and well planned build you got going on here, nice job man…anxious to see the end result, good luck!

ok small update.

Filter relocation mounted up and the Distrubution block for my battery relocation.

Oil cooler and PS cooler installed

Catch can tucked in as tight as I could get it.

Looks good Nate, when’s the next track day?

Thanks Jim, whenever shes done and I can get a little coin in my pocket. Ahhh the life of an apprentice mechanic…

your not worried about those zipties wearing through on metal edges, leaving your catch can dancing with your rad?

its kind of temporary til I mount it better. I’m sort of just getting everything layed out how I want it now. I do like zipties for ease of removal though, but I’ll figure something out.