Question about demerit points

My friend recently told me that for G2 drivers, when you get a ticket that costs demerit points, the points actually doubles. ie: you get a ticket for 4 points, for G2, it’s 8 points. Can anyone confirm?

If this is true… I have 32 points WTF

It doesn’t double… You just have less points with a G2 then you do with a full G.

Your friend is on crack.

Drivers convicted of certain driving-related offences have demerit points recorded on their records. It is a common misconception that drivers “lose” points due to convictions for certain traffic offences. In fact, a driver begins with zero demerit points and accumulates demerit points for convictions. Demerit points stay on your record for two years from the offence date.

As a Class G1, G2, M1 or M2 driver, if you get two or more demerit points, you will be sent a warning letter.

At six points, you may have to go to an interview to discuss your record and give reasons why your licence should not be suspended. If you don’t attend, your licence may be suspended.

At nine points, your licence will be suspended for 60 days from the date you surrender it to the Ministry of Transportation. You can lose your licence for up to two years if you fail to surrender your licence.

Oh damn… So I actually have 9 points instead of 15.

Oh shit… 16 out of 9 is NOT good!

I meant that you have less points that you can accumulate before losing license / suspension etc.

Yeah, I got what you mean…

ohhh i follow

Where’s my ****ing interview? They just suspended it without a warning wtf.

aren’t you over 9 points right now if you total all the tickets you got?

i think around 6, just lost a ticket. the other tickets are still in progress… waiting for court day.

you sure?? just that last ticket you got coming from montreal is 6points alone

^ yeah that’s the ticket that lost

But shouldn’t I still get an interview or something?

i don’t think so, i don’t know your driving record, but from the sounds of it, after 6 points (which was your latest ticket), you get the interview. i believe once you get 8 or 9 it’s an immediate suspension for 90 days. how long was it suspened for?

i lost one ticket and got 6 points, and got a letter in the mail stating that my license is suspended for 30 days. no interview or anything.

hmm, that’s really strange, i thought you atlest get a meeting with the JOP.

Sorry but…what’s JOP?

Yeah it seems strange to me too. Randomly out of nowhere I’m not allowed to drive… Oh boy… getting to school will be a bitch.

Can’t risk driving either, it’s criminal record if I get caught (according to the letter)

I have to give in my license to the Ministry of Transportation too… damn… then wait for the 30 days to expire then wait for their lazy ass to mail back my license.

Strangely enough, I got the letter about 3 days ago. It says I was suspended effective on Feb 21st, meaning I’ve been driving a whole week suspended without knowing. Isn’t this a little too tricky? I mean, if I got pulled over at anytime within those one week, it means I would have a criminal record just because the mail didn’t come in until a week later. They should have given me a more advanced notice. I didn’t even have time to prepare.

JOP = Justice Of the Peace, also referred to as simply JP.

i’ve never heard of that happeneding before, seems really strange that there was no notice, you just received the letter of the suspension. and as for driving around with the suspension, when the letter is sent via mail, shouldn’t worry about it, because 1. you received no notice of the suspension except for through the mail, 2. you can never rely on the post office, so there would be some leniency until a certain point. i would go kicking down some doors to get to the bottom of this.

if you can get a meeting with the JP, state that you made mistakes and from your first ticket you’ve become more careful and more aware to your actions etc etc, and state the fact that you just received the letter and no notice or notice of appeal. unless of course you pled guilty to the charge.

No I didn’t plead guilty to charge.

How do I get appointment with this JOP? Google yielded me results from all over the world, not in Ontario specifically nor does it state how I can contact them.

Do you guys think if I talk to JOP, they may let my license back as dropping some points? This is only 1 of 3 major tickets… The other two are still awaiting trial…

best thing to do is, go to the minister of transportation and just ask for an abstract of your record, its like 20-30 and just take a look, you might have forgotten about a ticket thats on ur record

Meeting with JP - go to court and ask or call the court that suspended your license.

The reason you probably weren’t notified is because you never went to court… you had your lawyer go for you acting on your behalf. So he would have been told the sentencing when he lost the case and he SHOULD have told you (even if he didn’t.)