Re: Mobile1 Oil and OEM/Fram Filter

Hi,

I have a 350z and was wondering if anybody uses Mobile1 with either a Fram or OEM Filter. Bought the car and I have Mobile1 with the OEM filter. One guy said that you can not use synthetic oil with a regular filter. Do you need an oil filter especially for synthetic oil? Apparently the oil filter will get all plugged up right away. Does not really make much sense to me since the viscosities are similar to that of regular oil.

Thanks!!

Im using mobil 1 and a fram filter. Fram filters are shit but i dont want to drive way into toronto for an oem one. Synthetic oil is compatable with regular filters.

Thanks for the info.

I know Fram is not that good but it is hard to get another type. Normally other brands are not in stock.

They don’t make the Fram synthetic for the 350z.

Anybody else?

All of my oil changes last year on my old engine were Mobil 1 Synthetic with Fram oil filters. With every oilchange I found myself wondering why I was changing the oil because the oil was so clean. The first time I changed the oil from what the old owner had in there, the oil was an uninspiring black colour.

The engine ran perfectly without ticks, knocks or hesitation till the day I took it out. I only took that engine out because I wanted more power. The engine had not one problem.

From my experiences it doesn’t seem to be a problem. I haven’t heard anything about not being able to use Synthetic with Fram oil filters.

fram has crappy plastic bypass valves and is generally made of low quality materials. oem filters are often the best quality. K&N makes oil filters too, i think they’re pretty good

If you use a good oil and change it regularly, who gives a shit how good/bad a certin filter is?

I’ve always use Fram. Granted they’re not as good as Denso/NGK/NOK/NTN (which makes filters for Toyota, Nissan, and Honday). But hey those pen pushing mouse clicking engineers design such a good filter because you’ll be surprised how many people don’t change their oil on time or at all.

My point being if you change it often enough it doesn’t really matter what filter you use, just don’t use the cheap cheap chinese stuff.

Good to see another GTA sentra member here.

To get back to the question asked No you do not need to use a filter that is “made for Synthetic” that’s a load of crap. I’ve been running Mobil 1 in my Spec V for 5 years now switched over at 14k now at 150k never a problem.

I could argue that point, but this explains it a lot better…

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

I have some Mobil-1 Oil filter M1-108 (OEM size) and M1-110 (2.5cm longer than OEM). They are of course brand new. Mobile1 filters have one of the best ratings among high quality and high flowing oil filters - fits many newer Nissan Vehicles. Price: CAN$15. I am located in Toronto.

i’ve heard nothing but bad things about fram…i use the oem filter…

Can I has your buziness?

I has ‘low-dolla’ filta in my Honduh civac… I wish to has your business, and am willing to give you a 2-4-1 deal.

Please email me your name, address, and postal code for further detail.

OMHI2UTOO
— not serious

same here bout not using those Fram Filters, I was about to pick up a Fram Synthetic oil filter,
but they don’t make it for the 240’s…
waiting to switch over to Royal Purple
before the temps drop even more, so I’m in search of a synthetic type
oil filter, mainly because they’ll last longer in filtration and performance.

so I guess it’s either Crappy Tire or some other source…
dam, those K & N’s are kinda pricey…I wonder if Nissan makes OEM synthetic type filters that can go on a 240, lol.

ive used mobil1 with fram filter and ive had no problems whats so ever, right now im running valvoline synpower with fram tough guard filter 4 ltrs in 4 ltrs out, very minimal sludge. ive crack up my engine there is no gunk build up, just nice and gold

I’ve always used either OEM or K&N filters. If you are too lazy to drive to get an OEM filter, just get 5 at once, leave them in the garage and use them.

Just knowing that FRAM is not good would bug me to have it on my car. I’ve read many tests, (sorry I don’t have a link anymore, its been couple of years now) and this is why I never even touched FRAM.

You can pretty much get K&N oil filters from anywhere… Part number for the 350Z is HP-1008.

They actually do have the fram syn oil filter for the ka24de. I was debating on picking one up but it was double the price. I change my oil every 4500-5000kms and its pretty golden. I either use pennzoil or mobil 1 syn with a fram filter.no complaints here.