What is your filter.

The debate on oil filters is as old as the motor itself, some swear by OE filters, others fight to the death over Fram or Putelators.

Here is the question.

Which filter do you use and why?

Also do you know it’s filtration %?

I buy the cheapest ones they sell at walmart.

OEMMMM Cause they are da best

Good Filters: Purolator Pure One, Mobil One/K&N , Honda VW Audi OEM, Wix/Napa Gold
These always have the bypass valves in them where required by OEM

OK Filters: Motorcraft, AC Delco, Purolator, I hear mixed feeling about Bosch and Fram
These are decent for daily drivers that get regular maintenance.

Garbage Filters: Supertech, Napa regular garbage, Valvoline, Ect.
Personally dont like Fram or Bosch in general.

Honestly I cant tell you the last time I have seen an engine failure due to filter or oil quality issues.
Its much more common to see oil starvation from low oil level, over heating, or fuel starvation/lean conditions.

I’ll use a FRAM in a jam when I can’t get to the dealer, I try and buy the best one they have available. Other than that I always PREFER to run OEM.

My personal vehicles

98 Trans Am - Mobil One

Old Gutless - AC Delco

Moms Buick LaCrosse - AC Delco

Moms Mountaineer 5.0 - Motorcraft

Brothers Kia Optima - Fram, Napa Gold, Valvoline… whatever I can find. LoL

OEM Mahle/Mann. I forget which one I used last, I think the Mann filters are better.

WIX- from capital land filter in ravena - 1/4 the cost of the same filter at napa

OEM ftw

word… oem

Just to add fuel to the fire.

Changing the filter on time is more important than the type of filter.

OEM filters are only required to filter low 90%th percentile of contaminants at best. K&N filters 93.5% IIRC.

Purelator Pure one - 99.9%

I prefer to believe that the OEM designed the rest of my car around it’s oil filter :rofl

Im looking that shit up right now… looks pretty good

:facepalm

:facepalm

I use the fram with the tough hard rubber shit on it . Works pretty good.

:facepalm:facepalm

La duke. The fram filters are the worst garbage i have ever seen.

I agree with both of these statements, however the Pure One may filter more stuff but because of that it also flows worse than the majority of other filters. If you change your oil/filter on a regular basis an inexpensive filter will never be the reason for the demise of an engine.

This guy did a pretty basic unbiased study of different brands: Best Oil Filters | aCarPlace Gives a good idea of the physical differences between the brands. You can make your own assumptions as to what properties make a better filter (# of pleats, length of filter material, anti-flow back material, etc.)

omg :facepalm
No wonder your ride SUCKS

you buy into anything