What oil filter do you use?

Just wondering

:blue:

Honda-All OEM

Jeep- Fram middle grade. I like them because of the grip on the end

Amsoil if I’m feeling baller status, otherwise I know the Purolator PureONE has tested well and I generally use that.

As a side note I wouldn’t put a FRAM filter on anything, ever, for any reason. Joe knows a lot more about engines than I do, but I know FRAM uses cardboard end caps for the filter element that are just glued in place. “The rubber anti-drainback valve seals against the cardboard and is therefore more prone to leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan. The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak all the time. The stamped-metal threaded end is weakly constructed and it has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow.”

I’ve been thinking of collecting filters and doing a comparison thread, I figure I could get enough donations of different filter types to make a decent list. Sorry to hi-jack but does anyone else think this would be useful info for the board?

Napa (Wix) Branded Filters! FRAM makes complete crap and will never been found on one of my cars again! The rubber things was cool until I learned the downfall of their product.

I actually had to search to find this site:

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html

It is a pretty old site, so i bet there are more studys since.

I just came back from purchasing a mobil1 filter, mobil1 10w30 oil and lucas synthetic for the alltrac

Purolater on the Jetta. Fram or K&N on the 240

WIX FTW!

I used to use OEMs on my Honda but in everything else I used WIX

I forget the details, but we lost a motor in one of the family vans (grew up with 7 kids always had full size Chevy Vans) from a failed Fram… My Grandpa told my dad to start using WIX, it’s all they’ve used for over 30 years with no problems… on all the work trucks and cars…

I used Purolator until I had two filters crushed after consecutive oil changes. Then I found out other 3 owners had that problem too. Switched back to OEM since they are about the same price anyway.

Yeah I saw that some time ago and I’ve seen a slightly newer study as well. I think it would be cool if we could look at filters across different engines (something neither study I’ve seen tried). I think it would be worthwhile for members to know what is junk out there. I’m gonna figure out how it makes sense to gather used filters, maybe I can set something up with the shops on the board.

fram

Purolator

Usually use A/C Delco. I’ve heard some bad things about Fram - supposedly they have cut corners to make them cheap for WalMart. But I’m starting to think that any major brand is probably comparable, the differences are neglible in terms of engine protection, and that the whole thing is over-analyzed. My $0.02.

ac delco for GM
motorcraft for ford
purulators for everything else

AcDelco or K&N in the s10

Fram on every other car ive owned and anything for my family, my friend works at a Dodge dealership as a mechanic and gave me like 15 mopar filters when i got my car. I still have a few left.

I use K&N because they have a 1" hex nut welded to the bottom of the filter and it makes it easier to install/remove.

I read that oil filter review a few years back and since then I use Purolator on everything.

Purolator as of last oil change.

Whats on sale at Autozone today?

didn’t K&N make a filter that you could change the element out of, or take it apart to clean it??