rear quarter panels - rust fix

Alright,

I need some constructive critisizm of what the pro’s and con’s of fibre-glassing the rear quarter panels if there is rust there.

I mean to say, I am going to take a dremel to my quarter panels tonight and get out ALL the rust, and fibre-glass it back up.

I plan on using fibre-glass bondo with the short strand kitty hair mixed in it. I will cut out the holes, fill it back up, sand it and paint it.

Also, the use of rust coverter/primer after the rust has been removed a good idea?

Let me know what you guys think.

im thinking you must be pretty good at body work to re-construct a new rear quarter panel…

well ‘if’ i was going to replace the entire rear quarter panel then yes. But fortunately enough it isn’t all rusted. Just the usual corner starting to rust and some at the bottem.

Heh, a Dremel. Those are so funny, you’ll be there for a month. Get a die-grinder at least.

I remember thinking a Dermal will work… Not a chance. after about 30min I went out to Princess Auto and grabbed a die grinder.

lol, well now that i got my hopes up to use my brand new dremel, it got smashed to shit.

haha…

ohh well, I guess I am going to buy a fuckin grinder and grind the bitch down.

so anyone have any constructive critisizm of why or why not using fibre galss is a good/bad idea, you know, before I go out and do this?

BTW: I will take pics of the progress and keep you all posted, if it turns out well, people might be able to use this as a cheaper alternative of fixing infamous rust in the rear quarters!

Fiberglass is bad idea because in the spring time, and even in the winter here the temp outside can change by 10 - 20 degrees during the day. The plastic (fiberglass) and metal expand and contract at different rates. This will cause it to crack and fall off. Your better off to treat the area with a compound like Por15 now and then fiberglass it at the start of summer. (around May).

In a ideal world you would just weld in a new quarter panel skin. Then get the area or whole car repainted. In all honesty Fiberglass or Duraglass is just a quick fix and it won’t last here in canada. IMO. Are we talking about the civic, or did you finally sell it and get something else.

hah, Civic is long gone. How did you know about that? LoL. Nah, I have a 1991 240sx SE. Picked it up a while back now. It has some rust starting at the corner of the rear quarter panels so I wanted to patch it up before It got bad. The rest of the car is in great shape.

Now if they expand and contract at different rates, why would they use any sort of bondo on any cars at all?

I do see what you are saying and all, but then that would defeat the purpose of being able to bondo cars at all in any case.

Thanks,

Ryan :drinkers:

1 u cut it the canser out. Than you go boddy-shop supply and ask for metal to fix rust.Than you shape+weld. Than you grind down the welds . Than you Fiberglass over it.Than you sand till its smooth and shaped than you slap some bondo to add final touch to shaping, done deal. You need a weekend and a few casses of beer.

alright, this wasn’t quite what I was looking for but thanks.

I realize you can have it re-welded. I am basicly asking this:

can you get away with JUST using fibre-glass bondo?

Why or why not?

Not if you can do it the ‘proper way’ and weld metal back in there (for an assload of money and more then a day or 2).

Simply, will fibre-glass bondo suffice? pros/cons.

Thanks again,

Ryan :axe:

Ass load of money? Get a welder buddy to show you how to do small MIG tacks, rent a MIG welder for $100 and you’re good to go. Shaping some sheet metal to match the car is not rocket science. You shouldn’t need any fibreglass at all. Just a light skim of body filler.

And the reason people use body filler, is because it’s only supposed to be used as a light skim coat. When people pile on 1/4" of it, you get the problems you do with expansion/contraction, and the shit falls off.

Thanks,

so for my next question…

who can weld my back rear quarter panels for me? (small bit of rust, nothing big)

I will have everything pre-cut out, I jest need a welder and sheet metal!

Normally this is the point where I would tell you I could get some new rear quaters for your. But it seems my supplier doesn’t make them… Weak Sause… Thanks kind of annoying.

Yup

Oem is the only place that makes them

about 500 per side last time i looked

hah. Fibreglass here i come. unless I find someone who wants to weld for me? :lol:

i would weld or glue metal in there…fiberglass does not stick very well and will wear out after time! i bought a parts car that was fiberglassed and it just fell off when i touched it! it was bad…i would glue or weld if i was you :slight_smile:

hmm… so 1 gallon of JB weld should do the trick? lol! :E

I NEED a welder. Come one! :partyman:

I should live in Alberta :frowning: then I could weld anything for a case of beer and a 20 dollar tip :stuck_out_tongue:

Do ur shaping/fitting. And rust remowall once its ready to weld take it to TOny’s Tin Shop " , ask for Tony see if the price is right. Or go “snowbird rentals” and rent a MIg. Than you can do ur own grinding /bondo at home.

And yes you can get away with metal bondo or fiberglass(kittyhair) kit. Just make sure you clean the area real well with sos pads etc and make sure its dry. Otherwise in a ferw years it’ll start separating. Make sure you apply glass on raw metal , not over paint fillers etc Do not use regular bondo.