Recall on my truck..but not for me?!

^true.

Its prolly a TSB, as I’ve never seen a safety recall with a mileage limit.

[quote=“02svtfocus,post:5,topic:39162"”]

I’ll ask around, but if you had a Ford I’d have some more insight for you considering half on my family including myself work there.

Maybe some of the dealership guys can chime in here?

TorqdSS owns/works at a Basil Chevy I think, right? Maybe try getting a hold of him.

edit: I’m assuming the 7yrs/70K is your warranty? And now you have 80K on the clock?

[/quote]

Here I am!!

We can do something called “goodwill” however we can’t do it as much as we want we have to get approval from GM and we have guidelines but I can squeeze our GM rep if you want and see if it can be done for free. Let me know if I can help. Are you the original owner? Where do you live?

[quote=“JayS,post:20,topic:39162"”]

Every car driven in the US has to have wipers to be safe as well. Should car manufacturers replace those for life as well?

Brakes are a safety item too, maybe those should be fixed for life.

They extended the warranty to 70k because some engineer sat down with a calculator and came to the conclusion that after that point if the part failed it was more than likely due to a reasonable failure that the customer should pay for. If it failed before that point it was due to a defect and GM will cover it.

There is another sure fire way to tell if the problem is a major safety issue the manufacture should be responsible for. If it was, this would be an NTSB mandated recall, not some GM decision to extend warranties.

[/quote]

Man you love starting drama just because. Last i checked those were wear items that you quoted so get your head out of your ass. I can guarantee if something went wrong with your speedo you’d be crying about it.

[quote=“psychopjv,post:23,topic:39162"”]

Man you love starting drama just because. Last i checked those were wear items that you quoted so get your head out of your ass. I can guarantee if something went wrong with your speedo you’d be crying about it.

[/quote]

I just get tired of this “wahh waah wahh… they should fix it for free” mentality. Shit breaks. Sometimes manufactures extend warranties because it breaks too often. It’s still not a RECALL though. I’d try and get a dealer I have a relationship with to fix for free but if they won’t there’s not much I can do.

The thing is the speedo stopped working around 40k miles.

From the letter…

This letter is intended to make you aware that your vehicle could develop a condition where one or more of the instrument panel guage needles may stick, flutter, or become inoperative. This may cause innaccurate readings, including the speedometer and the fuel guage.

General Motors is providing owners with a special coverage that extends the warranty on the instrument panel cluster for the condition described above. If the condition occurs in your 2003 model year GMC sierra within 7 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 70,000 miles, whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge.

So there it is…guess its not a recal. Either way it sucks that I’m over the mileage.

TORQDSS, my father bought the vehicle new and now its my truck, he just picked up an 08 GMC 2500. Have bought new from GMC for years. I live in West Seneca let me know if theres anything you can do?

^^^^ do you have any documentation that it stopped working then? if so take that to your dealer and show it to them. that should be more than enough to help get it covered

hmm its a long shot but my old man is guna check all the service records. he doesnt think he ever mentioned it but doesnt remember for sure. good idea tho

If you know someone you can get a maintenance history on your vehicle run and it will show every comment ever made when it was taken in for service at the dealer. I used to have a Ford connection and had it done on my Ranger.

I can run a VIN audit on monday if needed

[quote=“JayS,post:24,topic:39162"”]

I just get tired of this “wahh waah wahh… they should fix it for free” mentality. Shit breaks. Sometimes manufactures extend warranties because it breaks too often. It’s still not a RECALL though. I’d try and get a dealer I have a relationship with to fix for free but if they won’t there’s not much I can do.

[/quote]

i can handle this response :tup:

Got mine “goodwill’ed”, must have been b/4 the tsb, was on my way to Charlotte, NC, was @ 36k, called dealer, they swapped it out when I got back. That was May of 06. I have an 03, 2500 Silverado.