Recall on my truck..but not for me?!

So my speedo on my truck is the fucked. I dont mind it telling me im going 100 when im at 35, it makes me feel fast. Until I see a letter in the mail that says its been recalled! Woot woot! Talk to my uncle with same year and model truck and whattya know he just had his fixed and they replaced the entire dash. Said it woulda been 450 bucks or sumthin. So as I read the letter there is a mileage cutoff and I’m over it by about 10k miles. Is this commonplace to have a mileage cutoff on recalled items? I’m guna call and see what i can do just wondering if anyone has encountered a similiar situation and has any insight.

If you know a service guy or have a good relationship with your dealer, you can probably still get it replaced no problem.

I was always under the impression that if a vehicle is recalled then warranty or mileage has no bearing because it was a manufatoring defect.

I’ve heard of cars that were recalled 5-8 years or so after production.

edit: What make and model is the truck?

2003 chevy 2500…there was a stipulation like…Under 7 years old or under 70k miles whichever comes first. Im not even sure that makes sense right now but it was something gay like that.

I’ll ask around, but if you had a Ford I’d have some more insight for you considering half on my family including myself work there.

Maybe some of the dealership guys can chime in here?

TorqdSS owns/works at a Basil Chevy I think, right? Maybe try getting a hold of him.

edit: I’m assuming the 7yrs/70K is your warranty? And now you have 80K on the clock?

It’s probably not a recall if there is a mileage cutoff. More than likely it’s just a TSB (technical service bulletin).

Recalls = mandated by NTSB.
TSB = internal heads up from GM about known issues.

I know people with recalls for hondas with like 100k cutoffs that got the work done for free in the 140’s and above. But they both had spent money at that dealer before, or knew the guys.

But your not that over, id say try every dealer around here. One of them should do it.

I was under the impression that if it’s an actual mandated recall, mileage and age does not matter. The only thing that matters is whether the recall work had already been done once. My uncle who has been a service writer at a Honda/Acura dealer for 20 years told me this. Some manufacturers will replace the same recalled part more than once, if the vehicle is under a specified mileage/age. For instance, I’ve heard of this on heater cores for Mk2 VWs, under 100K miles.

I had the fuel filler neck replaced under recall on my 1983 Honda last year. It took them a month and a half to find a part, but they did it free of charge.

If it read the proper speed, you’d probably be under any milage cutoff!

[quote=“FASTMOFO”"]

So my speedo on my truck is the fucked. I dont mind it telling me im going 100 when im at 35, it makes me feel fast. Until I see a letter in the mail that says its been recalled! Woot woot! Talk to my uncle with same year and model truck and whattya know he just had his fixed and they replaced the entire dash. Said it woulda been 450 bucks or sumthin. So as I read the letter there is a mileage cutoff and I’m over it by about 10k miles. Is this commonplace to have a mileage cutoff on recalled items? I’m guna call and see what i can do just wondering if anyone has encountered a similiar situation and has any insight.

[/quote]

its not a recall!! It is an extention on the warranty for the cluster up to 70k. i am an advisor @ a chevy store. if you have a good relationship with a dealer they may be willing to do a goodwill adjustment and help you out…if not, your fucked

[quote=“eesti,post:9,topic:39162"”]

If it read the proper speed, you’d probably be under any milage cutoff!

[/quote]

Agreed. This would be my argument.

[quote=“01AudiS4,post:11,topic:39162"”]

Agreed. This would be my argument.

[/quote]

Not true…it is all electical, just because the speedo if stuck, has no effect on the actual mileage–this argumant wont fly, trust me

well it’s a safety issue i don’t see how they can’t fix it…

[quote=psychopjv;746203]well it’s a safety issue i don’t see how they can’t fix it…[/quote
its in no way a safety issue

[quote=“AKA-FERRARI,post:14,topic:39162"”]

[quote=psychopjv;746203]well it’s a safety issue i don’t see how they can’t fix it…

[/quote]

its in no way a safety issue[/quote]
Your right, knowing how fast you are going has no bearing on safety…:roll2:

[quote=“01AudiS4,post:15,topic:39162"”]

Your right, knowing how fast you are going has no bearing on safety…:roll2:

[/quote]

if you cant guage a safe speed without a visual reference, then you shouldnt be driving. :noob:

[quote=“AKA-FERRARI,post:16,topic:39162"”]

if you cant guage a safe speed without a visual reference, then you shouldnt be driving. :noob:

[/quote]

To have a vehicle produced in the USA it needs to have a working speedometer in it. You’d think there would be a reason for this.

Question: If you where driving this said truck at say 4am going to work and the speedo read 30mph, and you where clocked at 100mph could you then send that ticket to gm? I sure as hell would do something about it.

^^^^^^^^^^retarded, just retarded. it is what it is, if you dont like it then why do you have a gm… im tryin to tell him the only possible way to get it covered, if you dont lik my answer, then suck my balls. like it or NOT its not a s.a.f.e.t.y RECALL, fuckin deal with it.!!! FUCK, BE MORE OF AN ASSHOLE…

Present them :slight_smile:

I’m not trying to be a jerk about it, I’m just saying I think it is a pretty big issue. You can’t get your motorcycle inspected if it doesn’t have a speedo in many states.

Oh and I usually buy GM…I’d say I buy GM 85% of the time.
Only now is my DD a Jeep, but my fun car is something a little lower and faster from GM

Every car driven in the US has to have wipers to be safe as well. Should car manufacturers replace those for life as well?

Brakes are a safety item too, maybe those should be fixed for life.

They extended the warranty to 70k because some engineer sat down with a calculator and came to the conclusion that after that point if the part failed it was more than likely due to a reasonable failure that the customer should pay for. If it failed before that point it was due to a defect and GM will cover it.

There is another sure fire way to tell if the problem is a major safety issue the manufacture should be responsible for. If it was, this would be an NTSB mandated recall, not some GM decision to extend warranties.