Remote car starter

96 honda civic EX pwr locks/windows etc, no factory keyless entry (that i know of) or alarm. Im looking to do just a basic car starter, i dont even want lights on while its started. Anybody care to enlighten me on how there installed? ive done alarms but never a starter.

If you have installed an alarm its just as easy, just a few more wires. Maybe a security bypass too, depends on car. You’ll want lights, it’s just one wire :lol

no i dont want lights, i want it as low key as possible. You’d understand if you saw where i live :wink: Yah im just trying to figure out what wires would go where for a starter.

1996 Honda Civic Alarm, Remote Starter, Keyless Entry Wiring Information

Constant 12V+ White Ignition Switch Harness
Starter Black/White Ignition Switch Harness
Ignition Black/Yellow Ignition Switch Harness
Ignition 2 Yellow Ignition Switch Harness
Accessory White/Black Ignition Switch Harness
Tach Blue Coil
Brake Switch Green/White Brake Switch
Parking Lights Red/Black Driver’s Kick Panel or above Fuse Panel
Door Lock Green/White (-) Driver’s Kick Blue Connector or at Anti-Theft
Door Unlock Green/Orange (-) Module behind Radio Green Connector Negative Trigger
Horn Wire Gray (-) Steering Column or Green Connector behind Radio

The ignition wires will be in a large harness directly in front of you when you drop the knee bolster.
For the tach, on the left side (pass. side) of the engine bay in front of the strut tower (usually clipped to the tower) should be a small single wire connector with a blue wire in it. This is also sometimes on the driver side right next to the strut tower.
Unlock does not have to be behind the radio… it is also found in the kick panel.
Brake switch can usually also be found in the DKP with the parking lights.
I would recommend hooking up lights unless it is a 2 way. You will never know if it actually started or not and regardless, if someone does decide that they want your car, as soon as they even touch the brake pedal the car will shut off… they arent going to get anywhere with it.
This car is extremely easy. It usually takes me around 30 min start to finish but if you’ve never done one, I would plan for about 2 hours.
If you have a good soldering iron then solder. If not what I have done and I have NEVER had a connection go bad is to strip back the wire you are tapping into about 1/2" then use a small screwdriver to poke a hole/separate the wire. Strip back about 1/2" from the wire you are connecting to it and then insert it into the hole and TIGHTLY twist the wires. Then use a good electrical tape (Metra Super 33) and generously tape it adding about an extra 1/2" past the bare wires. Then ziptie all of the wires together.
If you are interested, I could install it for you for a small fee. Just let me know.

Courtesy of www.the12volt.com

and if you cant get it let me know i have been doing them for years.

Not to steal Aj’s threead but I’d like an Ultra Start installed in a 98 Legacy Gt.

pm me and we will set it up.

my buddy works at a shop an said he’d do it for 165 inc tax which isnt bad at all but if i could buy the kit for 70 and do it myself to save some money thatd be nice to. Might just drop it off so that way i know its all warrantied. Whats a good brand to get? I always ran/installed viper alarms nothing else.

Anything made by DEI is good.

i would stick to the major brands like code alarm, compustar, directed (dei), or ultrastart. but the unit is only half the issue, the biggest thing is the installation quality.

STAY AWAY FROM CODE ALARM. We used those for a while and we seemed to get atleast one back a week for a burnt out brain. It then had to be sent out to be repaired and took over 3-4weeks to get it back… and even then it still didnt work half the time. Stick with compustar, DEI, or ultrastart.

different strokes diff. folks i guess, i never had any serious prob. with code other than some bad antennas but we did over 1500 a year. dei has changed alot but still decent but depends on the model and brand name they use.

Stay away from the place on Freeman’s Bridge road that does car starters. Ive seen the hacks they do on a few cars.

My sister inlaw had hers done there and the brake lights stopped working. I looked under the dash and saw a big mess of wiring and shit under there. Atleast they fixed the issue but its a total hack install.

something like this? http://cgi.ebay.com/AST-Ultra-Start-OS127-XR-Auto-Remote-Car-Start-Starter_W0QQitemZ260500389409QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca7087e21

Yea that works. If you do decide to do it somewhere, I would suggest having either me or whitecivic do it for you. There are very few places around here that don’t do hack jobs… sorry if anyone works for any of these places, and Im sure not installers were the same, but I have seen some very scary shit come out of ozcore, boomers, best buy, and that other one on central (can’t think of the name) The only place I know of around here that doesnt do a hack job is Audio Obsessions… but you will usually pay out the ass for their work. If you bring it somewhere and you hear “t-taps” anywhere in teh conversation, run away. Although they may be “ok” for small wires (lights, locks, etc) they WILL burn up if used on ignition wires.
Just my .02

Edit: As far as code goes, maybe we always just got the “bottom shelf” starters, but I would say that well over 1/2 of them burned out the main brains within a year or two. Then about another 1/4 of them burned out over the next few years. Hell, we even had some that didnt work right off the damn shelf… lol

+1 on audio obsessions they installed the car starter remote entry on my fiance’s car and havent had any problems that was 3 yrs ago!

def want to go to a nice place like audio obsessions. Most other people do it the wrong way, shitty installs just to make the money. You will pay more but well worth it.

IMO you can’t knock a shop as a whole, just the installers themselves. I used to install for Best buy, never had any claims or people coming back with install issues.

thats corporate stuff though, most people that set up shop to do these things are the installers themselves. Like the guy on freemans bridge rd, owns the shop and is the installer. He is an asshole too, used to come into my work all the time.

That is exactly what I was saying about not all the installers being cob-jobs. I worked for Circuit City, and I can tell you that the installs sucked. When I took over as install manager, I was constantly on my guys for quality… which in turn turned up quantity b/c we werent stuck repairing past shit.