Removing the oil filter

Man, this is just ridiculous. The positioning of it is so awkward and so hard to get at. I changed my oil earlier today after I just couldn’t get the filter off, trying a bunch of different methods. It’s on way too tightly to be turned with hands, and the oil filter wrench just can’t tighten on it with the lack of space, and it just slips whenever it does. This was after it took me about an hour to get the oil pan bolt off, which also was just way too tight. I hate it when people make things so tight without thinking about the future. This was my first oil change with the car and it has an OEM filter so it was probably done at the dealer… Good job, boys.

I heard about the screwdriver stabbing method and was about to do it, but I need to drive the car tomorrow so I don’t want to **** myself over and not be able to drive it if it doesn’t work and I can’t get the whole thing off.

Anyway, I’m planning to just leave that filter on there for now and let this oil run for a month or so (I just picked up some cheaper oil to run for the time being instead of using the good stuff I got for the change) and I’ll get some oil filter pliers and change the filter and the oil again later on. If I still can’t get it off I’ll just take it to a shop and have them get it off, but I mean come on, it’s just ridiculous. Have you guys had similar trouble with the oil filter?

I’m always able to get a “claw” attachment in there, works everytime for me.

I had some serious issues the first time I tried it. To make things worse it was like -15°C. lol I used that claw thing from walmart, which bent the filter out of shape but finally gripped it.

No matter how tight you put your filter on, it will just tighten until it can’t go anymore. The vibration and pressure of the motor will make it tighter than a virgins pewn.

Get a rubber filter wrench from Canadian Tire and it should work just fine.

screwdriver method’s never failed me. just make sure u use a loooong one and make sure u go right thru from one side to the other