RIP Georgian Luger

Holy fuck

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/luge/news/newsid=39315.html#georgian+luger+life+threatening+crash?cid=rssctv

Georgian luger dead after training crash

Watch the video its nuts, so fast!

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/video/index.html?assetid=3350f67a-7694-4f9b-830f-09d957013d41

Wow, 144km/h and no barriers or even padding, not that padding would have made a difference.

Sad day.

i wonder what the average fatality rate for luging is.

seems like an incredibly dangerous sport

wow , crazy.

that is all

fuck man

if there was netting that would have never happened

R.I.P I was just watching/debating posting this. We learn through errors sadly but there is no way pillars like that should be exposed next to a thin track with speeds reaching 150km/h.

This is a really sad day as most here should be able to relate. I’ll be turning 21 in 4 months and loved my sports.

Not a good way to start the Olympics.

For those who don’t understand this, video…
http://www.buzzfeed.com/akdobbins/nodar-kumaritashvili-luge-crash

NOT SAFE FOR WORK / GRAPHIC etc etc

P.S name is Nodar Kumaritashvili

Wow.
R.I.P

I’m willing to bet he died on site. Not in the hospital or on the way. But saying he died on the way or in the hospital means they don’t have to close anything down for investigation.

They do the same thing in drag racing.

*Edit
Here’s a link to some pics… They are pretty graphic if you have a paper bag for a stomach

OMFG. R.I.P.

He could have survived if there was netting, and the poles were not directly beside the track.

wow, that’s just plain sad

Yea man, … sad stuff.

Its fucked up how in the TOronto star article, no one felt remorseful, just went on about how we wasn’t too popular and it happens all the time.

watching this right now on the news, crazy. . . may he rest in peace . its a sad sad day . . . .

this is really to bad

RIP!

I saw the footage earlier today and I was speechless! I hope he went quickly (no pun intended). Hitting your car at that speed is bad enough! Treasure everyday of life cause when that guy left the top of the hill, I bet he thought he would be in the offical games! So fucking sad its a weight on my heart for his family, friends, teammates, and coach!

Wow RIP, serious design flaw in the track. Those metal columns are right there, even downhill skiiing has netting the whole way. Maybe some clear Lexan if it is a visibility thing.

Thats just insane, I doubt I would even drive my car that close to metal columns at those speeds and I’m surrounded by s steel structure.

i blame the canadian OC. they refused to open the track to foreigners earlier on so they could get accustomed to the track. not to mention this dude was relatively inexperienced and this is an extremely unforgiving and fast track.

The track has been deemed one of the most difficult tracks ever made. Its a real shame. The guy went down it before and bailed. I saw it happen live when i was on the tredmill at the gym. Quite the shock.

RIP

preventable.

inexcusable.

these opening ceremonies are a total joke.

from what they said on tv there hasnt been any deaths in luge…and there has never been a person that flew off the track like that…