Rust on the leading edge of my hood

I washed the car this weekend only to find that the very edge of my hood is rusting and the paint is slightly starting to bubble up for an inch along the very edge! I am pissed :frowning: It’s only an '06 Mazdaspeed6 with 58k miles! It isn’t time to rust yet! I am guessing it happened from a rock chip on the very edge that manifested itself over the winter.

As for a neat idea, doing a search on google some guy measured out 2" on the entire front of the hood edge and sanded it down to bare metal (both top and bottom) and painted it with dupli-color bed liner as a “stone shield” as a easy/cheap fix. He had a truck, so I’m sure that was a lot better looking than it would be on my car. Still, he said it cost him less than $20, which makes me ponder.

On a silver mazdaspeed6 I don’t know how good that would look, but I’m sure it would stop the rust! LOL! Of course, I’m sure it would probably look ghetto… so that’s probably not what I’m going to be doing.

Any other ideas? And costs associated with the repair?

yea that bedliner doesnt hold up as great as u might think…i did the same think on the lowerd of my doors…bare metal and all…the shit just flakes off when any kind of pressureize water hits it…

i would recommend jsut spending 200 bux and having a prof. body shop fix it…the rust will awats come back

I have full collision and comprehensive on the car. Do you think I could file a claim against my insurance to get it repaired?

It would be a great excuse to get my damage on the bumper fixed as well. Two weeks after buying the car some person in an old folks home parking lot ran into the bumper putting a bunch of deep gouge/scratch marks into it. I never claimed it since it was just plastic and I was able to use touch up paint to at least make it less noticable.

honestly…if u j sut do the hood it prolly wont be more than ur deductible…plus i think there has to be noticable damage to the hood to claim it…not just rust…but u can ask ur agent lol

insurance doesn’t cover normal wear and tear…which this is

your hood thinks it a VW

^ I lol’d.

just sand it down yourself and spray the small portion yourself or use touchup paint… wet sand it, and it will be 90% as new…

throw a clear bra ontop of that, and youll never see the repair

automotivetouchup.com

I had a small rust spot on my winter car and sanded it down, primer, couple coats of paint and a layer of clear and it looks great.
Take your time and it will come out fine.

Replying to all, do you recommend the aerosol spray or a bottle? It will be a spot about 2 inches long that needs to completely go, and about 1/4" of bubbled paint as well up the hood (not a very large spot really) I’m guessing at least a 2" X 2" square spot of hard sanding, and then 6" around that to blend. I’m guessing aerosol may lead to a better finish as it’ll coat more even prior to wet sanding.The clear bra afterwards is a great idea :tup: I plan on removing the hood and doing this on the next warm day.

Do you think I need to tape anything off on the rest of the hood if I’m going to be doing the front edge using aerosol, or will I be risking leaving a tape line? I’ll take my time, spraying away from the edge so that the rest of the hood isn’t hit, wet sand, clear coat and wet sand again, followed by buffing the entire hood.

Does that sound about right?

i actually just did a spot of rust on my rear quarter…i used the aersol…base and clear…then wetsanded to blend…looks nice…

i had more rust hidden below the surface so i ended up doing a larger area than i planed on

I’m out in Amherst by Sheridan & Transit. Willing to help out? Got any sand paper/clear left? :slight_smile:

i know i have paper left…i actually ordered a couple packages from the paint place…ill have to check my clear supply…i have a few more lil spots to do but i think i should be ok

I would use POR-15 to treat/prime it. You can get it at K&S.

As for your insurance comment, don’t forget that you probably have a $500 dollar out of pocket deductible. Not that this would be covered…

According to the website, I could just do the 2" “Trick” that I mentioned in the first post, but instead of using the spray on bed liner, I could use POR15! LOL! It can bend and won’t crack, chip or peel! It even comes in Silver. I wouldn’t even have to sand or anything, I could just put it right on there and BAM! Done! (Sarcasm, of course)

One tip I learned is that you should always sand blast the area infected with rust. Its the only way to really try to get rid of the cancer. I’m not to sure I’m sold on POR15 yet. I used it on my jeep when it started rusting and eventually the rust still blew through.

POR-15 is a fantastic product, I’ve used it for years now. Prep work is key. If the rust on your hood is just starting, you can catch it.

i just found more on the underside of my hood…lol…i am almost thinkin of replacing the hood entirely

This made me lol.