Rust repair

My 2002 WRX wagon has a small patch of rust (size of 2 pennies) on the rear quarter panel. Where should I go to get this fixed so it looks decent and doesn’t spread any further? Any shops you speeders recommend? Easy enough a caveman can do it? I’d rather pay for it to look good than have it look like a shitty garage job.

sorry andy :frowning:

Bueller?

only real way is metal patching, any decent collision shop should be able to do it

For rust, you really have to get all the cancer out to stop it.

cut old metal out. flap disc to bare metal, spray weldable primer all over. weld up. do a etch prime. body fill. prime. paint. clear.

fixed. weld will re-rust eventually. gluing is best especially if its a small, non-structural, piece

and glue/panel bond shrinks. to do the job correctly with panel bond your looking at almost a week of just letting it sit until the glue is set. weld is more permanent, and which is why i stated prime before and after.

i know it comes down to preference, but i will always weld metal to metal. ill leave gluing to plastics.

you wouldnt necessarily have glue where there would be filler, plus if there was you would grind the outside down before putting filler on anyways. and panel bond is dry over night or within a few hours with heat. idk what brand you use but I have never had a problem with the 3m panel bond. you can never totally seal a weld up unless you can grind and prep the back side. it will rust through again someday.

back when I used to work at holtz I would only weld the c pillar, door jamb, and rear body panel when changing a quarter. everything else got bonded.

^^^not using panel bond as a filler. but it does infact shrink and you can see ghost lines after its finished if you dont give it time to sit. ive used it personally and had work done at shops using it(i have some peices a local shop did if you want to see proof. that was with 3m stuff. im actually going there this week to see if theyll fix it to keep their reputation in good shape.) sure it hardens up fast, but theres still some shrinkage time. just like body filler. and if it rusts through the backside, well thats just because it was a poor job doing the repair.

like i said, personal preference. im a fan of all metal bodies.