S-10 w/ oil pressure problem

I know a bunch of you guys have owned S-10s in the past and I have a few questions for you. My college roomate has an S10 that he bought earlier this year and a few weeks ago his engine died because there was a coolant leak of some sort and it was getting into other parts of the engine. He had a used motor installed but now the oil pressure is low. He said that it is to the point where it almost stalls when he is idling, so he has to rev the engine when sitting at a stop. He took it back to the garage that did the work and they said they could increase the idle, but that really doesn’t fix anything. Do you guys know what the problem might be?

need some more info on the truck

year & motor?

1995 S-10
4 cyl. w/ 5spd
RWD
Short cab w/ extended bed

Had about 110K on it before the engine went

Any notable oil leaks? Oil doesn’t just disappear…it has to show up in the coolant, or burn and create smoke through the exhaust…or drip somewhere.

bad motor

I asked him if he noticed anything like that and he said no. I told him to check the street where he parks for a puddle and asked him if his exhaust was smoking and he said he didn’t see anything. Oh and he also said that the oil level isn’t dropping. He has checked the dipstick and it has been steady.

Really? He said he has a warranty on the motor but not on the labor. I guess that means that they would cover the price to get another used motor and he would just have to pay to have another put in again.

He is in Beaver Falls, is there a reputable garage he could go to and have it looked at before he takes it back to try and get the first garage to put another motor in?

weres he from

He lives in downtown Beaver Falls.

He said that it is to the point where it almost stalls when he is idling, so he has to rev the engine when sitting at a stop.

if its almost stalling the oil press will be low because the motor isnt spinning fast enough to keep the pressure up. if he revs it to 2000 rpm what is the pressure at? if its normal pressure 40psi or so then he is fine just needs to get some type of tune up or soemthing that keeps it running correctly

oil pump, clogged pickup screen if pressure is low. what rpm does it idle at that is it almost stalling? it could be that the idle is way too low and not creating enough oil pressure, thus throwing the oil light on or gauge reading too low.