S13 Doors Wont Stay Locked

I’ve got an 89’ fastback. The problem that I’ve got with it atm, would be that the doors dont stay locked. Basically, say I park the car, hop out, close the door then lock it with the key. It will lock, and then unlock. The same thing happens when I lock the doors from the inside (with one door open) as soon as I close the door, they both unlock. I’ve gotten the doors to stay locked only once, and that was by holding the tab on the “locked” position, and then having a friend close the opposite side door. Sorry if my explanation is a bit complicated, but I’m thinking that it’s an electrical problem opposed to a mechanical one. Also there is no aftermarket alarm or wireless remote installed. Any help, is better then no help.

T.I.A

you should just disconnect the power lock until u can fully diagonose the problem cause the locks will stay locked. . no power

see if anything is siezed, you will have to pull the door skins off. make sure everything is lubed good and not binding. basically if it takes too much effort to lock the doors the bcm says fuck this and leaves it in unlock as a default so that the person cannot get locked in the car by accident. if everything is free then one of the locking mechanisms could be malfuntioning on the inside, try unplugging them one at a time to see if it changes anything.

If nothing changes when one is unplugged then it may be a bcm or wiring problem or they could all be bad. Either way you will need a wiring diagram and test light/ DVOM at this point.

maybe just lock the door from the inside, hold the handle up then close it while holding the handle up, wait and see if that helps the problem?

^ yeah that works on alot of 240`s just lock the door then hold up the outter handle and close door

Yea, I’m begging to think that it’s a BCM problem. I’ll check if everything is lubbed and/or if anything is jambed and causing the doors not to stay locked. I think it may from the passenger side door, because the handle stays up a bit when it locks. Maybe the previous owner had the car broken into/ shimmied. Thanks for the advice though, Im going to go see if “holding the handle up, and then locking” will work.

So, i tried what konvokiller and kollo suggested, and it worked.

I guess it was the passenger side door lock/actuator that was confussing the BCM, because:

A) I cant turn the key when it is put into the keyhole
B) The door handle doesent stay flushed when the door is locked
and C) The door makes a slight “clunk” noise when it is closing

I guess I’ll just replace the entire thing.

Thanks for the help guys

it works like that so you don’t lock your keys in the car, thats how all s13’s lock… lock from inside, shut the door with the handle up!

lol. so gangstuur, but then again, anything is better then my old jetta. Had to put my hand through the window to open the door because the inside handle broke off. VW=FAIL

the japs were way ahead of time back when 240’s came out, look at the coupes with h.u.d, anyways nothing is wrong with your car man, the passenger doors have actuators to copy the drivers door. its fool proof.

funny tho how u didnt figure it out bud. locking your door then shutting it and it unlocks, you must have been confused big time!!

He CLEARLY states he gets out and locks it with the key.

funny tho how u didnt figure it out bud.

im guessing you dont have an alarm ?, or any type of alarm, try disconnecting the negative on the battery and letting it sit for a few mins

I luckily learned this earlier on when I first got my 240,
I find it one of the best ways of locking your door without a remote.

think it tells you in the manual too? :-S

Hold the handle, Hit the lock, Close the door with the handle up

^Werd, RX-7s are like that too. Confuses passengers, so I usually just lock the door after they’ve closed theirs and they’re out of the car.

No alarm installed. But I did find out that the car was broken into, back in its day from the original owner. On the passenger side. So it makes sense why the key hole isint accessible, and why the handle doesent sit flush.

yea every time i have a passenger i tell them not to lock the door and then hit my inside door lock then it looks the passenger door, hold the drivers handle up as you close it and your good, my first s13, i had no clue it did that…i was going to malls and leaving it all over the place with alot of stuff on the inside and of course i just closed the doors so the car was wide open.

as for other cars doing that, civics do, my mazda 323 also…and lots more.

mine will keep unlocking and all i do is lock the passenger manually then lock the driver door and it stays locked