Safety/Emissions Road check

http://photos-g.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v208/191/104/501300217/n501300217_1497886_3897.jpg

My friend was driving home one day and he got pulled over, the cop asked him to pop his hood and he got a ticket for improper engine modifications. His car was towed soon afterwards.

http://photos-e.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v208/191/104/501300217/n501300217_1497884_6827.jpg

Have any of you guys seen these types of Safety and Emissions trucks around? I’m growing concerned because even if you’re not doing anything illegal it seems llike they can just profile you’re vehicle and check you. I went on the www.yrp.ca website and I found no information regarding this program of “random” safety/emissions checks.

As of yet I have e-mailed info@yrp.on.ca regarding this program requesting literature about the programs intentions. I’m sorry if I may be out of the loop but I just found out about this and I’m not happy about it.

• Billy

thats unreal…
im so fcuked

Woah, what the hell is this? I guess I better warn friends who are using straight pipes…let me know what they tell you Billy as this is the first time I’m hearing of this as well. A few questions though…Did they pulled him over because he had smoke just blowing out of the exhaust? I can see why they did that if he did, but if they did it for no reason then it’s kinda like “wtf?”.

can you give us more info on the incident

exact location of the roadblock…

what was said…

what was done

what mods does the car have? what was the exact reason the plates were pulled?

ive seen one of those vans pull over a Lowrider on highway 7 the poor guy was screwed he had hydraulics

You can have hydraulics on your car, you just can not use it while driving.

yeah where is it… that is messed up… i have a copy of my barely past emission test and safety in the car so i would just show them that… That sucks though but good thing my car looks stock

oh yrp = york regional police

doesnt work that way this has been happening for ages now JESSE got his 240 pulled over and had top follow a cop to the check where his car was legal but his brake lines where zip tied to his shock and they towed his car he even offered to fix it right then and there they wouldnt let it slide

man, looks like i need to get a few things done sooner than expected

wow their ruthless :frowning:

I went through this with my S13 with sr. I was asked to pop the hood, once he saw all the chrome piping etc. he was kind of speechless for a second, he just seemed overwhelmed and didn’t know what to say. I then started telling him how everything was legal all the emission control stuff was there (everything was removed except for the cat) he checked if the cat was there, i also showed him my previous e-test paper which i had in the car and that was basically it he didnt really have anything on me. He ran my license then gave me a lecture about street racing and let me go!

Mr Ma.

Our Traffic Unit checks emission components on vehicles which are involved in speeding or improper driving as a part of our ERASE program. This is a specific program aimed at a group of individuals who operate vehicles which often have been altered through emission control equipment being removed or for extensive engine modifications which are done for the purposes of racing on residential streets.

Our Traffic Unit does not have equipment to administer tests of vehicles. If vehicles are being checked as you say it would be done by the Ministry of the Environment and the road checks are done by the Ministry of Transportation.

If you have further information about sites where this may have occurred or dates and times which specifically have had our York Regional Police Officers involved in these types of examinations please forward this information so that I can more effectively respond to your questions.

You could contact Sgt Jim Slykhuis of our Traffic Unit at 905 830-0303 ext 7703 and he will provide you with further information as needed.

Inspector Norn Miles #113

Support Services

905-830-0303 extension 7710

The cop that checked my friends car was very aggressive, grabbed every piece of bodywork to see if anything was loose. Ticket for improper exhaust he shot a flashlight thru the muffler and it wasn’t a baffled style so thats a 90 buck ticket… The reason why he got towed was because the police officer saw some fender lip marks on the wheel tread, and identified that the car was unsafe to drive.

I gota admit my friends a bit of a car noob and not very… intelligent at times but I believe him when he says that he got pulled over random… especially if his car, quite frankly looks like every other civic ek i’ve seen…

Yeah what kind of mods did he have? loud exhaust? thats pretty scary considering (judging from the pics) your friend’s car is stock looking, meaning no one is safe.

They have been doing this all summer. Make sure you keep your cars up to par and you will be fine, no bald tires, no broken suspension parts, everything you would need for a safety. And don’t drive around at 5000 rpm in first. Do all that and you should be fine. You might get a cop that will just go until he finds something to ticket you for. Most likely an improper muffler ticket. Take it to court you will usually win. Might have to show proof you swaped your muffler but whatever.

got pulled over last night for excessive noise. officer tells me it was loud and asks if i have a cat and know what type of muffler it is. sounded like a test so in the end i just told him straight up, “stock cat and it’s a straight-thru sir, i’ve gotten tickets for it before but i still haven’t gotten a chance to grab my silencer at home”. he asks when the last muffler ticket was, i say it’s been 6 months, which it has.

he then proceeds to check out my muffler so i lean out my window and tell him it’ll go straight in if he puts his measuring tape through. he doesn’t even bother after that and goes into his car.

i then ‘find’ my silencer behind my seat, get out of the car and tell him that i just fumbled across this in the back right now. he looks at it and asks me if this is a proper baffle. once again, sounding like a test, i tell him, “no sir, i guess it’s not a proper baffle since it’s still straight-thru but it functions as a baffle since it really brings the noise down”. he nods and continues to do something in his car while i go back to mine.

a minute later he comes back and says, “everything checked out. i noticed you did get a couple of tickets for your muffler before so since you were honest with me about everything, in good faith i am going to assume you are going to pull over at the next plaza and install your silencer. have a good night sir.”

so i guess the lesson learned here was just be polite and straight up with officer, don’t try to be so wordy and make excuses, just tell him the truth. at least for kitchener cops that is…i know it’s wayy different around toronto but i thought i’d still share this.

after he gave me my stuff back i even asked if there was anything wrong with my front end since he walked there earlier and took a look at things. he said he didn’t see any issues, only that the license plate was hard to see. my front end is pretty loose…plate is tied in the mouth ('93), my zenki lip is all scratched up, fenders are starting to rip above the caps so i had to drill a couple of holes and stitch (which you can see if you focus in on the area), no fender rods securing it to the chassis, and rolled and semi-slammed. felt pretty lucky about that.