Saturn Vue

So ever since I bought my house a year and a half ago I’ve wanted something bigger than my Jetta. I was thinking about this yesterday while I was buried behind a hibiscus tree on the way home from lowes. Even with fold-down seats a sedan just doesn’t cut it when you like fixing/working on your home. But I also enjoy driving, took up autocrossing this summer and love it which a sedan is good for.

The Jetta is also a tick over 100k and the nickels and dimes are starting. I’ll have to see what I can actually get for trade in, but should be about what I owe…

What are your thoughts on sucking it up and getting a bigger vehicle for its usefulness (if that’s a word) and sacrificing some fun factor?

A 2004+ V6 AWD Vue seems decent. Autotragic only, but at least it’s a 5 speed auto built by Honda powered by a 250hp Honda V6. It also gets like 20/26 mpg. Max towing’s 3500 pounds, which would be nice if I actually get a little boat in the next couple of years. (The wifey fully supports that, so it may happen.)

I’ve thought about Exploders, but their reliability is still suspect. Safety is important too so that actually counts out a lot of SUV’s.

Just kind of thinking out loud, well not really aloud. I’m typing. :lolham:

Thoughts? Trade some fun for some utility? If so, Saturn Vue with a Honda drivetrain?

Maybe pick up a $1000 dollar auto-x beater next summer or talk the wife into letting me race her 5mt Protege… drvnkd you there? Your better half has a Vue doesn’t she? How do you like it? Will I hang myself if that’s all I have to drive for a year-ish?

get a TBSS…more fun AND more utility. But then again, the fact that you even mentioned MPG suggests possibly not a good fit.

^ or Price, TBSS sounds like it would cost a lot more.

Joe’s really pushing the TBSS’s lately. I want one so bad. Been talking to my godfather about his GM discount

I am going out on a limb but I am guessing the TBSS is quite a bit more than the vue

A Trailblazer SS would be about twice the cost, half the fuel mileage, and they suck in crashes. That’s why I’m thinking about something twice as ghey. :stuck_out_tongue:

get a wagon

my fiance has one, 230 a month lease 12k miles with a 5 spd… gets 28mpg, can do all the hard work most city people need out of an suv, i love it, very plasticy but still nice features including onstar and cell phone (verizon)

:tup:

A wagon’s a good compromise, but I’m up in the air on whether or not a wagon would be big enough, ya know? Tall/akward things would fit a lot better in the back of a small SUV than something like Legacy wagon…

seriously hes looking at a 04 vue i dont think ur opinnion should include a 40kplus truck

e46 wagon?

Naw. I feel like enjoying some Japanese build quality for a while. If I were to rock a wagon it’d be a legacy. The Saturn has a Honda drivetrain and is in the price range I want to look at. Other pure Japanese (although I’m not sure what that is anymore) SUV’s either cost more or are shitty in crashes.

My mom has one, and 06 awd with the honda v6 and its real nice. She really likes it and it has been holding up real well. It’s actually her second one, her first one was an 05, honda v6 fwd but It got totaled when some douche bag turned into me but hey I walked away fine from it.

my best friends mom just picked up one 07 vue, honda v6, super nice. she loves it. i would totally rock one

If you are thinking about something like the vue, buy a used ford escape. my gf has one. it’s not the greatest vehicle ever, but she beats the poo out of it and it hasn’t had any problems other than regular maintenance issues.

My fiance has a Vue… its a good car at a good price. BALLIN!

You’re in the same position I was a few years ago. My advice, buy a Pilot.

4500 lbs towing vs 3500 lbs towing becomes huge if you’re considering a boat. Entry level 18 foot bowriders are 3000-4000lbs with gas/trailer. Add in passengers and gear for a day on the water and the Vue will be hopelessly over GVWR.

The extra room in the Pilot will be huge when you strap a baby seat into the middle row. You might not be thinking kid right now, but by the time the loan is paid off, chances are you might have a little one. We put 5 adults + a baby in a car seat in the Expedition just last week and it was perfectly comfortable. We could have throw in another adult easily.

The Pilot is pretty close to the Expedition in interior space, smaller outside, gets way better gas mileage and it’s a Honda, so it will take an act of god to break it. There is an 03 or 04, 300 miles away at a dealer with 35k miles listed for 17 something on autotrader (hint hint).

yeah i didnt even think of hte pilot, I couldnt believe the interior room of those compared to the exterior

LOL my mother…my fiance…my mother…my girlfriend. I’m starting to think this is a chick car. :lol: Of course I drive a pretty red Jetta now, so I guess I’m cool with that.

I thought about an Escape, but it wasn’t very good in crash ratings. Pretty lame thing to consider, but see post #12.

Honda Pilot’s a bit pricier, but then again having the whole thing made by Honda might be worth it. How often does the drive train fail anyways? All the little GM Union made crap (there! I said it! :lol:) around the drivetrain is what breaks on a GM anyways.

Most GM drivetrains are indestructible. Its the rest

I know someone with a 06 vue, cool car, prety cheap, and it has VTEK yo!