say goodbye to hummer, Saab , and Saturn

there is nothing wrong with buicks, they really are a nicely built car that the older generation seem to enjoy. basically the ones who want a nice car but dont want to spend cadillac money.

I just have not managed to find one that is even somewhat attractive since the G-Body Regal, save for the later Regal GSX’s. But at 20 years old, I’m not the target market for Buick, either. Haha

chevy should make consumer trucks and GMC should only make commercial trucks. buick is next. olds was the middle ground. buick was always closer to caddy. buick only has a few models and old people drove the cars that buick stopped making.

never owned any of those pieces of shit. :gives:

I could care less what happens to these companies. I personally think that all of them should cease to exist since they can’t manage their assets/cash flows appropriately. They put out POS cars for the most part (yes, I know there are exceptions) and they expect to stay in business. Now the government is going to bail them out, but where do they draw the line. Are they going to let these companies fail again in 10 years and then have the tax payers save them again? I know that these companies employ a lot of Americans, however how is it the taxpayers’ job to support unsuccessful companies?

This is what happens to your company when you charge as much or more for an inferior product that will hold its value half as well as the competition. For years and years.

this doesn’t apply completely to the brand. you spend 50k on a Tahoe… its not low class.

because of duped americans believing what they read in motor trend and car& driver instead of talking to mechanics. would toyotas hold their value over GM if everyone knew that parts sometimes cost 3 times as much and usually cost more to fix?

Fucking laugh at anyone bought a H2 H3.

I bought a hummer last summer, but ms.knapp wanted to keep it on the downlow

I don’t think the fair value of cars has been determined by C&D or Motortrend. Foreign cars are just generally more reliable and more efficient. People learn this from their experiences with vehicles, not from magazines. I am not saying that all domestic cars are crap, but I have driven 3, all of which crapped out on me and were POS, but I have had 3 foreign cars that have been extremely reliable.

from my experience, foreign companies do make a better small/mid sized car. full size cars and trucks they don’t fare as well.

perception perception perception! there is no “generally”. my dad has been fixing cars for almost 40 years. he sees the same problems in foreign cars that he does in domestics…most of which are results from lack of maintenance. his 92 grand mec rides and looks like a brand new car with 170k plus. his 99 yukon is the same way. neither were bought new but both were maintained well from the beggining. he’s had 2…2004 hyundai’s in the past year come in with rotted out engine cradles…

what broke on the domestics that you owned to make them POS in YOUR OPINION? its all in ones mindset and preconcieved notions about something.

Heh, so will GM continue to make Hummers for Military usage?

Saab im sure could hold its own, fuck the rest of them. It should just be Cheby and Cadallac like most other car makers. One considered luxury and one not. Fuck, its worked for Honda for how long.

It also worked for Toyota until they introduced Scion, which aims at a pretty specific market segment.

I’m not trying to say that ALL domestic cars suck. I know that there are a handful of models that are very reliable (especially some of the older cars). But my experiences (and a lot of my friends/relative’s experiences) with domestics have been horrible.

-We had a 98 Windstar that was maintained by the dealership and our mechanic and it died after 3 years and less than 50,000 miles. Not only did the tranny fail, the engine and suspension was full of issues too.

-We had a 98 Oldsmobile Cutlass that was inherited from my grandfather that we drove for about 3 years and within those years:
-The engine blew and needed replaced
-We went through about 3 sets of tires despite having very low miles
-The heat/ac only worked on full blast
-The cd player caught on fire

I could go on and on. I am just saying that I have never had any of these types of issues with my 07 Mazda3, 05 Honda Element, 93 Honda Accord, or 95 Nissan Altima. Everyone of these cars just got basic maint. and never had any of these types of issues. I got rid of the accord and altima when I felt like it not because they died on me.

engines dont just blow unless they are abused.
tires have nothing to do with anything except tires

i’m calling BS… sounds like the car was abused, excessive tire wear and blown motor.

Yeah, you know how those 80 year old men just tend to beat on a car :ugh2:

The car was two years old when we got it. He pretty much drove it to golf and take my grandmother to the hospital. When we got it there were 10K miles on it and it had all of the regular maint. records for the dealership. I think we are both obviously biased about the issue. You are a hardcore domestic guy and I have vowed to never buy another domestic after my experiences. I don’t think we are going to agree on anything.

I have a cutlass 91 with 380k on it orignial motor and trans…maybe its just you

My Corvette is fucking falling apart and it only has 45K miles on it. My 04 GMC Sierra has all sorts of squeaks and rattles, and there’s mad rust starting already on the insides of the rear doors.

The fact that American cars are so cheap and easy to fix is THE ONLY FUCKING REASON that anyone would every buy one.

I’m going to go pour 20 lbs of sand in your intake. As long as you don’t beat on it, it should be fine, right?

And tire wear couldn’t possibly be because of shitty suspension that fails to line the tire up, could it?

:greddy2:

i dont remember hearing about excessive tirewear being a problem on cutlasses… it has more to do with driving habits, tire quality and car alignment (customer maintenance issue) than if the suspension had design flaws.

20 lbs of sand would fall under abuse. abuse doesnt just mean driving the car hard… it means if you dont do routine mainentance as well…

nick can back me up on this one… Rubin beat the piss outta the General C and maybe changed the oil 3 times in 90k and it never blew… you have to abuse it something bad to blow up the motor (not including performance applications). that includes being an ass and not checking fluid levels, ignoring warning lights. if the motor didnt blow when grand pappy had it, it must be something you were doing to the car. he obviously drove it normal for two years without trouble. my bet is you over heated it driving it like it wasnt intended to be driven. you almost have to be semi retarded to blow up a motor in a car that is driven under normal circumstances.