scam or not???

i put my gf’s jeep on craigslist and got responses from this real sketchy guy… ive talked to him on the phone and he says he will be shipping the jeep to russia. first he wanted pics then a vin for carfax.now this email… just dont seem right… anyone have an idea

the email

Thanks for the pictures. Everything looks good. I just found out that i need to khow the production date of the car in order to ship it overseas- this required in oder to register the car there. This date is located on a stiker on the driver’s side door jam of the car. (month/year) If you have any difficulties finding it give me a call 917-589-5405
Thanks
Andre

lol

Well I guess it wouldn’t hurt to give him info. But yeah, sketchy. I’d stop. You know he’s going to have his shipper give you a check for more than the sale price…

Well I will tell you when I worked at Autoplace…We shipped a lot of used cars to Russia…

i would be more worried about payment than him asking for the vin and manufacturers date.

That is a New york City Cell phone area code. FYI.

I think russia only has like a 5 year rule maybe 10 for importing american production cars.

Im not sure at all about that ^ but i do know that 917 is NYC Cell phones

open the email and see what ip it came from…

if he want YOU to arrange shipping or give him cash back, then yes its a scam, if he pays and you clear the check… your good…

my gf’s dad just sold a bike to some guy in the uk

when the whole words currency > $ everything in the good old usa starts getting real cheap

i read till “overseas”, you should have too.

I don’t see a problem with it for now. When the Wii first came out I sold one to a guy in the UK. Made him pay me via paypal and everything went smooth. Call him and feel it out.

Just when it comes to cash.
Make sure things clear.

I’d keep going forward but when it comes time for payment I’d be EXTREMELY careful.

None of that “I’m sending you a check for X over the cost, send me a refund” crap. There was a good thread on here about safe payment methods, I think started by Newman when he was selling his Elise.

I would only take cash or a USPS money order. If he gives you a check you bank may clear it in a couple of days but then reverse it in a few weeks.

he just called me again and we spoke about payment issue, he assured me the deal will work out… i did tell him the only payment id accept would be a money order. just seems fishy still, maybe its the terrible accent or the fact he hasnt tried talking the price down at all

Which can also be forged.

Why not CASH IN HAND!!!11111111111111111111111oneoneone one

after reading newmans thread i think the only way to go will be wire transfer… the only thing on my side would be with the lean release… i doubt the bank would do a lean release unless the money was guarnteed… i cant do cash in hand when the guy is on the other side of the state

^^^
were you dropped on your head as a child or something?

dude its a scam when i had my car on craigslist i got a bunch of people like that, one guy said he was shipping it to sweeden and even sent me a check, but it just bs, use ur head u answered that question urself just by asking for eveyones advise

Agreed, I am guessing he is incapable of comprehension. Maybe he thinks we are also in Russia.

Cash in hand is the safest way, everything else can be fake

Risk = (Likelyhood of bad outcome) x (Severity of bad outcome)

In this case the likelyhood is moderate and the severity is presumably high.

Therefore, pursuing this is moderately high risk. I’d pass. Plenty of other buyers out there.