School Me: Audi A4 and Volvo C30 (Possibly V70)

With Spring time coming around the corner it’s time to start shopping for a replacement with my Fiancé. She is really into that “unique” look…that looks sporty, drives sporty, and you can tell by looking at it that something is different. But, in a cool way.

That being said I’ve been steering her off the GM platform and into a more European style and what better way than the Germans and the Swedish.

Her “dream” car was a Mid 2000s V70R that was for sale but she wasn’t ready to buy.

I’d like to open her options up and take a look at these guys:

With the A4 I think it can go either way; Wagon or Sedan. Hell an S Line would work for the right price.

With the C30 there was a T5 for sale not too long ago at Northtown that she really liked.

So, here is what I am looking for. Reliability and Maintainability. I don’t give a shit what she gets as long as she is happy. But, if she get a one-off model that I can’t get parts for, costs $100 for a intake filter because there is only one and comes from the mainland, or every time you do something you have to buy a $40 VW tool…i’d like to stay away.

I literally have no knowledge about Volvo or Audi with respect to the mechanics on them. I’d like to gain some.

Any one have good and/or bad experiences with the mid-late 2000s Audi and Volvos? I’ll take any info on other models if anyone cares to chime in.

Educate me! Thanks.

• Updated - - -

I’ll also say we looked at BMW…hell, I even had money ready to plunk down on a 2004 328xi. It just didn’t turn us on. If there is that perfect car then yes…we’d look again.

I love the C30, but it would have to be the R-design if I bought one, that might not matter to you or your fiance. They’re pretty fun to drive and they definitely have that “unique” factor, but I passed because I don’t know anything about Volvo, anyone that owns one or has ever dealt with the maintenance. The internet has mixed reviews as well.

My VW has been relatively maintenance free and reliable for the most part.

She likes to drive fast and I must say she does it really well. Does she need 220+ hp? Not really, but she definitely doesn’t want a pig. But, I’ll add the R-design to the list as one to look at if we see something in our search.

I completely understand the mixed reviews. I know there are die hard Audi and Volvo guys on here. I can’t wait to hear what they have to say.

Any chances on giving her a lift in your Lotus this summer? I want her to get one when the time is right.

I LOVE the C30…would love to get one myslef, but trying to be a smart business man with regards to the properties. The smart money says keep the incredibly reliable Accord that I owe nothing on, rather than another “fun” car…

And for what it’s worth…I owned my '04 S60R for a year or so…it had 130K when I bought it and I sold it with 142K…the car was completely reliable, and a true pleasure to drive, throughout that entire time…of all the cars I let go, I think about that one a LOT…

I remember your S60R. You had it sideways in the new development by my house.

How was repairs on it? You may not have had to do much in the time you had it but I remember commenting about the ~13 inch rear brake rotor and how that must cost a pretty penny.

I’ll say this car will be a DD…It will get used A LOT. Brakes, Bearings, Ball Joints, Tie Rods, Shocks, etc…will likely be replaced by me. Any funky bolts, clips, retaining stuff…etc?

Anytime. I’m putting it up for sale (for real this time) as soon as all the salt is off the road.

Sideways…I don’t remember that, but I believe you…

Re. what I had to do with mine…an alternator, which my friend did for me (a Volvo Tech. at the time, who said it wasn’t anything beyond normal), and a steering rack (which psychopjv and I did together on my lift). I attribute both of these to being normal based on the car’s mileage, and the fact that they were both original.

I bought myself a set of Torx bits to aid in working on the car, but beyond that, it was not hard to work on at all, from what I remember…you can always use my lift, you know that…

Are you looking at B7 or B8 A4s?

The B7 IMO is probably one of the best looking wagons ever. They really didn’t change much other than the engine from the B6, just improved on it, which in my opinion is a very good thing. Same suspension, interior etc. With the 2.0T, you do have some possible trouble areas, it was VW/Audis first shot at a DI motor. I’m not fluent on the different years and what updates each got, but its relatively universal that you will need to do an intake valve cleaning and timing belt (unless you get the updated motor with the chain). Both of which IMO are not that big of a deal because its not a yearly ordeal. If you opt for the 3.2 then it should be more trouble free but comes with higher fuel consumption. It does sound fantastic though.

I looked at getting that Volvo, but what made me go against it was the unfamilararity I had with the brand combined with the fact that people say they can be just as finicky as VW/Audi/BMW. So I have no real world expierience with them.

The Audi will be more comfortable I’m sure, handle well and get out of its own way too (I would get a tune just because). The Volvo will be more ‘sporty’ and more tossable. If its the sedan Audi vs the Volvo, then its a toss up, but I would definitely take a B7 Avant over that Volvo. Wagons are just the best.

She doesn’t “need” 220+HP?!? LMAO… Well, I guess you can keep her with that and those mild cars… I’ve got Jenn wanting me to build her a Blown C5/C6 Vette once I’m done with my 'Bird!

As for the Volvo, I’ve wrenched on a few, and they weren’t too bad. I’ve wrenched on a VW back in the early 2000’s, and it was eh… It’s a love/hate relationship, ask any VW person. You either love them or HATE them. But yes, there are unique tools for both you’ll need to pick up (Like with any brand). I’ve driven a few A4/S4s and they are nice, I’d sport one as a DD.

(NOTE - My wife Jenn is Kristen’s sister (Luke’s Fiance’))

Thanks man. Good luck with selling it. If I had the cash I would definitely consider getting it. Timing won’t be right.

You wanted to show me what AWD 300HP was like. Maybe not SIDEWAYS but you definitely broke it free.

Thanks for the info…the rack would be one of those things I would want to replace myself. Seeing as how that didn’t cause many issues that is a good thing. Did you have to drop much?

Thank you for the great feed back. I personally like the front end on the B8 over the B7 but it is still a really nice looking model. Seeing as how not much else changed I think that it makes sense to look for maybe a lower mileage B7. Good points on the 2.0T vs 3.2…I’ve had that talk with her. I think if it stayed NA it would not be a huge deal. I have my own thoughts on Turbo charged DDs. Others have theirs.

LOL…I don’t think she would be opposed to more hp. But, I think she would be more comfortable in the lower 200s.

Quite truthfully I really like the S5…for me. But, I have enough on my plate.

Let’s get your Bird done!!!

• Updated - - -

double j…I’d be curious on your opinion if you come in. I know yours was a few years old but you would still bring value.

why not an Audi A3? It falls exactly between the C30 and A4 in pretty much every way. plus it’s the only one you can get a DSG transmission with. if you buy a new enough one you can get AWD + DSG + 2.0T then easily tune it for big gains if you want.

I don’t have a reason why not…I’ll add that to the list as well. Any downsides you know of?

Thanks for the suggestion!

once you get into a TSI engine (I think 08.5+) they’re pretty bulletproof. It’s basically a GTI with more sound deadening, options, and style. So almost all parts you can buy cheap.

browse around here to get a bit familiar with them:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisplay.php?548-A3-amp-S3-(8P)

^ Good to know. Thanks!

Re. the rack, it was not bad at all. Maybe 350?

?? B7 to B8 is a lot more than a different front end

We have a '10 C30 R-Design. No complaints. Bought it last November 2012 with 29k on the clock and its been nothing but regular maintenance. Def recommended!

I misread what lorge1989 posted…he referred to the B6 to B7 with not much changing. Not the B8. Do you have any feedback on the B7? That may be the better choice due to price.

Do you have another suggestion? What would you recommend on the Audi platform for a daily that is reliable and has good pick up?

Is there something you don’t like about the car?

I’d guess the awful dashboard/interior. That’s my only complaint really.

Nope, we love it! Lots of torque from the turbo 5cyl and easy on the wallet. My only complaint is its automatic, but my broad drives it, not me. If you want to check it out let me know.