screwed by the insurance company...need help (rhd silvia)

ok so basically ive had an 89 s13 silvia rhd on insurance for the last two summers registered fully legit, insurance new it had upgraded sound system, rims, a recaro drivers seat and a muffler… i got a lot of hassle at first but after supplying them with a full apraisal (200 bucks for a b/s right up and pics) wasnt pleased but it made the insurance company happy.

at the begining of the month i called them up and said i wanna take my winter car off and put the silvia back on … they asked for another apprasil i got one done my a local dealership with the green used car papers for free this tyme round, and pics…a few days later i hear back. told me they would not insure me this yr becasue of my additions of performance mods with they listed as a hood scoop and a front lip ! argued and got no where.

ive now had a brooker looking around and tried a place or two myself and they almost laugh on the phone when u say rhd… anyone with some names or numbers would be greatly appreciated. oh im 21 fully g for liek 3 + yrs . 1 accident when i had a g2.

thanx for your time .

shawn

i have the same problems man

but i have a canadian vin numbr given to my rhd cars and then its easy peezy

anyone will insure it

i have the short jdm vin and it trips the red flags all over :S im looking at other ways around this… how did u register it with a canadian vin … legit ??

welcome to ontario.

call the insurance bureau of canada, ask to sspeak to shiela, request a revin application, pay them $500, wait 3-4 weeks (after an inspector comes down, takes info, and makes your new canadian vin) and presto

call up any insurance company you wish and get your insurance

well worth the wait and price

im having mine done this wendesday on the gtr - had it done on my old 180sx - makes life 10 thousand times easier

really ?! thank you very much ! most promising information ive heard! are there any limitations like im runing no cat no charcoal canister , open atmos bov…

do you still have to tell the insurance comapny its rhd … does it come up on the vin ? like i barely have to tell them anything about the car they get as far as rhd and then bail on me!

i didnt say anything to my insuracne company after i had it done on my old 180

everything comes up in the new vin and its fully recognizable by the insurance bureau and mto so anytime a company punches the re-vin in, it will come up

the insp[ector who comes down to do it - bill serianas - knows his stuff and takes alot of info down

i daily drove my car in the summer and winter just to avoid taking it off the insurance and going through this hassle…

“the insp[ector who comes down to do it - bill serianas - knows his stuff and takes alot of info down”

will he give me shit , fines, or refuse to have it re-vinned . with defects like open atmos bov, no cat

if u are so concern about the little things like atmos bov and no cat…
imo it aint that hard to put a cat on, and route the bov back to intake when the inspector to check ur car, is a one time thing neways

ya fair enough with the bov … the cats one of my more concerning items… i dont exactly have one laying around to put on temporarily… thats why i dont want a wasted trip and ask all my questions ahead of time :slight_smile:

how about a caged car haha? A friend of mine has a restored mini with a roll cage, he is insured don’t remember what he did/said, he even once got pulled over by a cop but what he said was “would you feel safe in a mini without a cage” and the cop let him go, never had hassle since but… lol I’m not sure if that would work for us. Just curious. And this mr inspector what would he say about a caged car? Technically it should decrease insurance as it’s a safety device :-/ Just because someone has a ‘racing related’ item does not mean he street races… lame. Is a porsche gt3 legal in canada, the only change they did in the US was with the rear window (from plexiglas to something else if I recall) and it has a roll cage from factory wth. So rubbish that because we have japanese cars and not uber expensive italian or german supercars that we are discriminated against :-/

Actually, a fully caged car is a lot more dangerous on the street. You don’t wear a helmet in your car when you drive on the street do you?

Mark is right. Buddy of mine hit his head on a cage without protection or foam wraps and got a serious concussion.

Its common sense a rollcage is hazardous, cuz now instead of the car taking all the energy from an accident you take it, hence why all japaneese factory cars fall apart liek building blocks in tiny accidents yet the drivers walk away.

i wouldnt say he knows that much about these cars - but he is a car entuhsiast (mg’s to be exact) so he knows what he’s looking at

he a real nice guy - older gentlemen

i doubt he’d give you shit, bear in mind tho - my 180 was stock when i had this done

The GT3 RS only has a roll bar behind the seats, it doesn’t come near your head so it’s not an issue. I don’t think there is a particular law saying you can’t have a cage but I don’t think you’ll be able to get insured through traditional means. As mentioned before it’s also dangerous.