selling a marantz to someone out of state

I’m selling a marantz to someone who lives in MO, the problem is I’m not sure what payment method is best since he lives out of state. What should I take/not take, trying to not get Nigerian Scammed here (no disrespect to the buyer).

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

Maybe cashiers check?

Pay pal would be what I would consider the safest route for out of state.

That may be the option I go. Do I send the marantz after payment is in my PayPal account or after I transfer funds to my bank account? Never used PayPal outside of eBay.

I would say no to PayPal.

You have 30 days to dispute a charge. I can send you $10,000, call Paypal and say i never got it the item I paid for and Paypal will pull it out of your account until it is settled even if its in your bank account. Paypal works in the buyers favor so you are at a decent risk of getting screwed out of your money.

Distance buyers are sketchy online since they are not seeing the item but willing to send money. I would ask for a check and take it to your bank and cash it, once the check clears, then send the item. I don’t do any deal online unless its cash or a guaranteed payment. You can fake cashiers checks too so always call and verify it with the bank that issues it when receiving one or again, take it to the bank and cash it first.

That’s what I was afraid of.

A cashiers check or money order that cleared the bank is always the absolute safest. PayPal is never safe for a seller because they always favor the buyer,they can just file a PayPal claim with a few mouse clicks and get a refund,they don’t necessarily have to send your item back either. At least if its a eBay transaction they kind of mediate it,not to mention paypal will hit you up with fees,unless he sends it as a personal payment.

How long do the checks take to clear ? I think a few weeks? What happens if it doesn’t clear, will I have to pay fee’s?

I could just call the bank and ask them also but my bank is probably closed right now.

have him send you a bank check. its as good as cash. I did that when i bought one of my cars. it was a $11K bank check and the guy cashed it the same day he got it.

+1 for no Paypal. They absolutely screw the seller. My account just got banned and my money stolen by them over a scam a buyer pulled on my dad (now deceased) 3 years ago, because for some reason they linked my account to his because we have the same first name.

Postal money order. They’re cheap and have an 800 number you can call to verify the MO is legit.

https://www.usps.com/shop/accepting-money-orders.htm

The problem with a bank check is you can still easily fake one with a good printer and you won’t know it’s fake until a week later when your bank calls to let you know that check you deposited was bogus. As soon as you get a postal money order you can call the automated line and verify the MO isn’t a fake.

Cool! Thanks.

i’ve never had an issue receiving payments with paypal and i’ve done $X00,000 through it.

So I got off the phone with the guy who seems like a stand up dude, definitely not Nigerian. I’m not sure how to do this b/c we both want to be protected. He could send me the check but what if I do not send him the receiver, or vice versa is the way we are looking at it right now. What if I just create a e-bay auction with a buy it now button and he buys it the second I create it? That way its through eBay which I have good ratings with. But than I will have to pay fees which would suck but I guess if we both want protection that’s what is going to have to be done.

I got boned this way to out of $9xx back like 4-5 years ago. haven’t used paypal since… I had the money in my account one day… It cleared, so I gave up the item… A few days later it’s all gone… I ask what happened, they said oh it’s fine it’s just on hold. I kept getting the same answer for about 3 weeks, saying “it’s normal”. Obviously I used paypal nearly a few times a week so I know it’s NOT normal. Then they ended up telling me oh nope, we have no proof you sent anything to the other party. Plus you only have a credit card and one bank account on your account so you’re not fully validated. I was like What… THE FUCK?! WHY DO PEOPLE USE YOUR FUCKING SERVICE THEN IF YOU OFFER NOTHING? holy fuck I’m getting pissed off thinking about it.

But really, a money order of some sort are great. Usually have a 1800 number to validate on the back, or just go to a bank and have them do it. A lot of times they will call you for to make sure it’s legit if it’s not from that bank.

Understandable… if you use ebay you still go through paypal, in which he can claim you never sent it. ebay offers no protection imo.

I usually purchase a tracking number from what ever shipping carrier which you can manually add to PayPal and it tells PayPal when it was delivered. Oh and for larger money purchases I usually require some one to sign for it which cost like $2.00.

Definitely use tracking and make him pay for insurance,especially this time of the year when the delivery guys like to just heave stuff.

You’re making this harder than it needs to be and don’t let the horror stories get to you.
Get payment via PayPal first. This part is up to you, you can work this out with the buyer on whether you send the item out once payment is in PayPal or once it is transferred and clears your bank account. This prob goes without saying, but, when shipping, pack well, insure and be sure to get a tracking number for the item.
It really is that simple.

It’s not a 'personal payment". To avoid fees the buyer can send payment as a “gift”. If they do it that way, they can’t dispute any claim because in the eyes of PayPal, there is no dispute over a ‘gift’ payment.

It works the same either way, if you use it outside of eBay or not.

Not true. They freeze your account until the dispute is settled. Much different than what you are claiming.
As long as the seller has a tracking number and can provide that if a dispute comes up, there will be no problems. I’ve had a few ppl claim they never got their item, I had a tracking number for the items and “won” the disputes. PayPal took NO money.

I sold a $4,500 server on there. I shipped it, had the tracking number and info on the package and the money went from paypal to my checking account. Paypal actually took the money back out of my checking account that it was linked to and held it for a 13 days. Also, paypal has the right to the funds on your account even if you closed it for for up to 180 days. By linking your account to a bank account or verifying it with a debt card, they have rights to take money back out too during disputes or chargebacks.

we’re not talking about a million dollars here, normal paypal and just make sure you have tracking on the package so you can prove it was delivered.

Isn’t this what you do for a living or something? I figured you would have this on lock down considering how much used junk you sell.