SHIFT HOSTING

This my official explanation and opinion on this whole issue

I’m not trying to keep shift hosted here… hell no I want to get it moved as badly as you guys do… but I dont think mike needs to host it

So to make it clear , yes the site needs to change hosts… obviously… clearly

Many right now think that I am against changing hosts for shift and they obviously are against that because of the uptime problems we have been having with me not affording the bill monthly.

I’m down for changing the hosts and want to continue with shift and being a part of it… its Vlad’s site without a doubt but I have been treating it like my own for a while and really enjoy the forum like most of you do.

Its not important and necessary for mike to host the site, there is thousands of other places to host it for a great deal.

I’m willing to pay half or even the full hosting cost if we switch hosts to something cheaper than what we have right now. I know there is alot of sponsors ready to lay down monthly coin to support shift and spread the word about they can offer service and product wise to shift members…

So between changing hosts to a cheaper solution and collecting sponsor money and possibly splitting the bill between a few admins, I think its obvious that keeping shift online won’t be an issue…

I haven’t gotten 10% of the shit done that I wanted to get done with shift, there is so many more things that can be done to make this forum into a better one and a great website overall… alot of is has to do with laziness and motivation and procrastination (sp?) and the other half of it has to do with the real fact that I am honestly busy, wether its making a little money or music , or family, it keeps me busy.

Recently I have found motivation to continue with development on some projects for shift that I have left cold last year that I believe would be awesome when finished… There is so many things that can be done to really improve the forum and shift brand.

So thats what it is… I’m not trying to keep shift hosted here… hell no I want to get it moved as badly as you guys do… but I dont think mike needs to host it… hes a good dude but its just a bad idea. There is alot of you saying it doesnt matter… thats great… and it might not matter or make any difference but why risk it… its not necessary.

Also, as far as me quitting my duties as admin here if mike does host it… yeah its true but i didnt say that to threaten vlad and try to force him from not hosting with mike. I said that because I know the situation and I know there is better options out there, I believe my say should count for something… for everything I did (which might not be as much as how much I didnt do) I don’t think its fair if I don’t have any say in this issue.

So, just so I’m clear, you’re saying we need a new host and you don’t want centola to host it?

What is your reasoning for why mike shouldn’t host it?

Yeah that’s what im saying, its not my choice its just my opinion of course

There is too many other options and to have the same guy who owns rspeed host shift doesnt make sense to me. I and others have heard plenty of stories of him mixing personal issues into what he does but he says he isnt like that anymore so I guess that clears that all up.

Brass tacks…

How much money do you need collectively from forum members to make the site affordable for you to host.

There is VPS solutions that will do the job for very cheap, 50 bucks is a rough estimate to throw in the air.

Right now its 180 something per month and my contract is over so I’m free to cancel whenever.

Thats what it is, so there won’t be need for money from shift members at all.

I’m really against collecting ANY money from members because while its very generous of them, giving donations will not last and you can’t expect them monthly… there is people who donated 20 bucks a year ago and still believe they are owed something for it. This is monthly… and when the hosts are changed it won’t be an issue.

Make it optional for us to donate then. Most of us are trying to help.

Right, thats fine… I should get the button code from vlad and paste it somewhere on the site / forum where people can randomly donate as they see fit.

Cossey has some great ideas with stickers and such to give out to donators, that we could incorporate.

Whatever you gotta do, feel free to PM me how much $ I could contribute and we could work something out.

Sponsor packages w/ pdf’s are getting made and proof read and then all businesses will have a chance to sponsor

He was an admin of that site. He would host this site, you would be admin. I don’t see how he’d become any more active on this site than he is now.

Frankly, I don’t care who hosts the site, I just don’t follow your reasoning for wanting it hosted someplace else when we have someone already offer us a good deal.

I can pay the hosting when its moved because it will be so cheap it won’t even be an issue , won’t even be worth thinking about.

Its probably NOT a big deal if he hosts it, but I don’t like the idea, feels funny and I’m not down for it. I mean if he does host it… I can’t do nothing about it but I won’t waste my time here.

I don’t care what company hosts it other than mike… and even if it came down to the point where he was the only company on earth to host shift then obviously we would have to do that…

He doesnt need the business, we don’t need to host with him, so I don’t see why there is so much pressure for him to host it

Sounds like you have a grudge.

fuck it man, here is my reasoning

#1, shift should be hosted by a company 100% independent of any of the members or administrators for the sake of good business. Too many times a “favor” by a friend gets fucked up and complicated.

#2 If you MUST have someone on the forum host the site it should be done by someone who will have no possibility of conflicting interests.

#3, Centola shouldn’t even be a sponsor. he has something like 15 “companies” that he pushes and advertises to the fullest. If we wanted sponsors and advertising on Shift

#4 Centola’s actions previously have divided and politicized the community. regardless of everything else mentioned here and whether you agree with it or not, Centola WILL divide the forum. Different people will show up, OG’s will disappear

shift was created in spite of rspeed whether its something anyone wants to admit or not…

Technically I only have 3 businesses, Technotic Media, True Negative, and Allstar Tactical. In reality I am only sponsoring for ihatestickers.com, a part of technotic media. I did mention to Vlad that I might post up some AR-15 info but it’s not my priority.

Say what you will, but it seems you are the only one living in the past. The deal I have offered Vlad is better than you will find out there with other hosts. I host some real high line customers so hosting shift is not going to make or break me, but regardless of what has happened Vlad and I have history of being friends. I feel I am doing right by being able to help a friend in a pinch.

I think Vlad deserves to recoup some money from his time and effort in building this site. I applaud him in building a site to spite mine. It “won” so to speak and that’s great for him. I’ve resolved all but a few of my issues with people here, so I’m here if Vlad wants to host with me.

Just to be fair, my expenses are almost 10 times yours for hosting.

You guys can do as you will but I am here to be a paying vendor of the site and chat with some old friends.

I actually figured you’re outright expenses for the equipment you run and its connection to be more than 2 grand, but I dont know the details on the operations, thats expected tho, high hosting bills because it is what you do and is a business of yours.

Like you said… hosting shift won’t make or break your business, so why not avoid this conflict of interest then ?

I’m not trying to live in the past, you can host it dude if it will make the difference for you. If you are a changed man , it is what it is then time will tell.

Take it easy, i respect what you do i just didnt think hosting shift was a good idea for the reasons mentioned above…

and you giving vlad a better deal on hosting is still going around what I said about me continuing to pay the bill after the host was switched, therefore vlad still would be free from that because i know he is very tight right now with his finances and I cant blame him.

#1 and #2 are totally valid reasons for your argument. Should have just stated them in the first place.

Either way, I don’t think the admins of the forum should be airing their dirty laundry, so to speak.

i don’t understand your argument about forum hosting… why does the fact that he host’s and runs rspeed matter?

both forums are non-for-profits (rspeed no longer has any type of charge) and both have a common interest in motor culture. if anything the people who are loyal members on rspeed (myself very much so included on that list) have been posting on this forum for quite some time and i see no reason why “OG’s would disappear” as you put in since NOTHING WOULD CHANGE content wise, only reliability wise. Who,what, and where do you plan on having these “different people” come from since it was never brought up to advertise the site because that would not be what hosting is.

your argument sounds more like mish mash 3rd party accounts of past accounts. and because of that, it has made you form an opinion which is based off of nothing solid or from first person accounts

brew, you crack me up. Is there ever a situation where you wouldn’t take centola’s side?

I think the points are valid, assuming that he was trying to say in #3 that other people on shift have reportedly attempted sponsorship unsuccessfully.