shock rebound, how fast?

Ok so yesterday I took my coilovers out of my car (Tein Type Flex) and today started to take them appart and clean them. I wanted to also check that the shocks in them were still good so I pushed and compressed them, and they did return back up. My question is though, how fast should they return? I have no idea since I really have not a ton of experiance with them. So give me an idea of what I should be looking for.

well it should be hard to compress them by hand and it should go back slowly well thats how it was with another car of mine… if u can compress them easily then there getting old but thats my expirience but from a different car… anyone else?

no i was thinking this to, if you can compresses them easly by hand what is a 2400 pound car going to do to them. They shouldnt fling back at you but by no meens should they be slow.

my guess is the rebound rate is pre-determinded by the amount of load on the dampner at that exact moment…

if the coilover had a seperate control for the re-bound function then that could change

also… may you be refereing you sag ? and not rebound, as in when you push down on the shock it pretty much “sags” to a point and does not fully-rebound to top dead center of the stroke ?

Rebound damping is typically twice compressive, it’ll be more difficult to pull the rod out.

Did you get the nitrogen recharged when you had them rebuilt?

They are not rebuilt, the return from full compression to full height within a few seconds. They do require some force to compress and as you turn the dampening down from 16->0 it comes up faster.

If they are oil filled cartridges, they need time to “warm up”. Like on my drift car, I have to take some warm up laps to get proper rebound.

Hopefully you do’nt have blown dampers

I belive that Tein uses a Monotube oil filled with nitrogen gas design.

in general… you should not be able to compress a shock by hand…

sometimes if the shock is set on the softest damping… it can be done but should still be rather difficult… you have to remember… if your 100 lbs of force can push a shock shaft down… think of what your car is going to do… especially if you have a high tension spring on it… BOING BOING

GT

It should be hard to compress, but don’t forget what the shock’s job really is.

It’s the spring that supports the weight of the car, the shock is there to make sure it doesn’t bounce too much. The faster the compression or expansion motion is, the harder it will be to move. So a better indicator is how fast you can push it in. If you push it, it should go in very slowly. Typically blown shocks also make gurgling and liquid noises.

you should be able to 100% compress it by hand.

if it is not smooth they are blown. if it is not consistant they are blown, if they are leaking oil you can rebuild but they are not nessesarly blown.

your coilovers are not blown.