Shop made exhausts?

alright I hate my exhaust, or at least the nasty fart cans that came with it(the rest is stock), but I just cant fork out the cash to get some fancy exhaust from the net. I dont feel the need to drop 2 or 3 hundred on some pipes so I was wondering who if anyone on here has had an exhast made at a shop. I’m owed a favour at a shop so I don’t wanna hear about this and that cat back that I can buy on the net. Plus shops here are hurtin so its pretty easy to cut deals. I want somthing that isn’t super loud as this is my daily and those 4 hour trips to Toronto get anoying with a loud exhasut.
The real question for those who here who may have done this is what muffler/resonater combo and pipe size did you go with or do you reccomend?

My learnings are:

2.5inch exhaust if it is NA
those straight line resonators don’t work all that well. So if you want noise reduction you want the resonators that have the different channels the air has to travel through

My thoughts are… you pay for what you get. The idea that shops will make you a custom exhaust cheaper than the shit you can get from china is pretty ridiculous.

You are looking for a custom exhaust with resonators etc for under “2 or 3 hundred” bucks?

A good quality stainless exhaust, at a reputable shop… is an easy 5-600 bucks. At least it was, the last time I got one made.

Well, if you want to go on the cheap… I was really broke, this one particular day. I needed an exhaust, so off to the bone-yard I went. I cut off a whole whack of bends and straight sections off of a few rams with the cummins, mig’d it all together. The only thing I bought new was the muffler and some flanges. Cost me about 100.00. If you are going to go cheap…there you go. I wouldn’t expect anything that far off of stock for 200-300, as a matter of fact a stock exhaust would most likely cost more than that.

theres a shop here in newmarket that does a lot of exhaust stuff.

both me and codyne have used them.

few hundred for dual straightpipes for me, and for cody it was like under 200 for a real exhaust.

Well I agree with Mark, your thoughts on a custom exhaust for cheaper then 2-3hundo is out of wack. Sure if you get some muffler shop to make it out of mild steel and crush bends maybe you can get within reason. No where are you going to get Stainless Mandrel bent and welded with resionators/highflow cats anywhere around here…thats just silly. Some shops may be hurting for money but for the price you have in mind they will loose money and wont do that for ya.

In the end you sound like you want an exhaust for the noise not any kind of performance. Good luck.

is there a big difference between using mild steel crush bent vs stainless mandrel anyways ? Price diff is huge

Mild steel will rust, stainless will not.
Crush bends reduce flow, mandrel does not.

That is pretty much it.

there are alot of other little things that come into play.

some people, including professionals, absolutely suck at welding and their shit will fall apart quick time.

I’ve had exhuast shops install catbacks incorrectly on my car in fact… like how is that even possible?

Also, proper fitment and good flanges are a must or your exhuast will leak bad.

I cannot see any competent person putting together a one-off catback for under $300 in Canada (including SS materials)… especially if they have a real business. Unless they are using left overs from other jobs and you’re paying cash

I would like to note that I would be having this done in the detroit area so there is a significant difference in cost and quality at the local shop. My question was not so much cost related as this is not a performance upgrade. My current set up looks super tacky and I don’t expect it does anything for performance. I’m not really in need of stainless steel(rusting exhaust would be the least of the rusting issues) or mandrel bent tubing.

I was really just looking for examples of what muffler or resonater combination people reccomend.

and yes I am planning on doing this for 150-200 US$ which given the exchange rate is about the same in CDN$

magnaflow

/thread

$200 might buy you the parts. Hope you know someone who will work for hugs and hand shakes.

You sir,

are a douchebag.

Find a stock exhaust and stop modifying cars.

Perhaps I gave off the wrong impression about my intentions with my car. Being that I live in detroit and have been at university for 5 years (working on my masters in engineering) I have very little money to spend right now(ie. no formal income). If I had the money I would be doing everything the right way but its just not possible right now. I am tired of my car being a haggard peaice and i think some exhaust work would help. I expect that I could get something made at a shop or put somthing togeather myself like Cyprian’s idea for pretty cheap. Keep in mid that this is my daily so it suffers from the salt like you wouldnt believe(they love the throw down salt here) so stainless or not it will rust.

For you shop nay sayers what would you reccomend that I do? leave it? ebay? make somthing myself?

I like the magnaflow idea and have considered flowmaster as well but wasnt sure how it would sound with a KA.

lol.

5 years in Engineering and no told you the difference between pipe and tubing? Exhausts are made of tubing. Not pipe.
Apparently no one taught you proper grammar. Or how to use spell check.

Sasha FTW.

Aww, you got SON’ed

Shitty. But seriously, I made my cheap temporary catback for under $100. It is possible; just go to canadian tire (sorry, detroit tire) and cheap out on 2.5" crush bent piping. I only had to use 2 bends and a bunch of straight pipe. If you don’t use any mufflers you’ll stay under your goals.
Long story short, I don’t think that spending under 2 or 3 hundred on an exhaust system is going to change the fact that your car is a “haggard peaice”.

GLWFAIL.

---------- Post added at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

btw;
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk209/RedDragonSkate/1235487117643.jpg