Skylines

I’m just wondering if anyone would recommend a R32 skyline (GTS-t or GT4) as a daily driver? Speaking of which, does anyone know someone that drives their skyline daily?
I’m just wondering about the reliability of those cars… and if something does happen, how easy/hard is it to obtain the parts and replace them?

http://www.gtrcanada.com/

I’m sure they are just as reliable as our good ol’ work-horses…and some parts will be interchangeable with USDM Nissans, but for those other parts, your probably gonna be payin a sweet buck.

My buddy has a GTS-T Type M and it seems to work real nice…

the big flaw with them is being RHD, it makes it very hard to make a left hand turn in traffic. So if you do a lot of city driving, then i would carefully consider this.

i daily drive, with no problems what so ever

parts are easy as hell to get if needed

only problem is, left turns at intersections with SUV/TRUCKS/'Vans!
any regular car is not so bad as u can see past them easily.

i enjoy driving my car, alot actually!!

edit. forgot to mention i drive a skyline gtst type m

well if its your only car its probaly not a great idea, considering parts will take over a week to get to you leaving you stranded, if you dont mind taking the bus while your car is in the shop then it would be fine, to me i dont see a big attraction to non-gtr r32’s they arent that powerful our a standaout performer in any particular aspect, i dont think they would even be that popular if it wasnt for the GTR, i would stick with something you could get locally with comparable performance, or if you really want a jdm car maybe pick up a silvia or 180, much easier to get parts

As an owner of a RHD import car I’d suggest NOT owning it as your daily driver.

Something will break, especially on a car that is 15 years old.
If it’s something easy you might be alright, if it’s something major you’re going to be out of a car until you find the part.

Left turns suck.
I don’t mind it so much since I rarely drive my silvia in the city, but I wouldn’t want to drive accross mississauga each day in it.

Gas,
If you’re worried about monthly expenses don’t forget you’ll have to run 91 octane.

As a toy they are fun as hell, you get lots of looks, turbo is always awesome, I just know that I would never have bought the silvia if it was going to be my only car.

well here’s my experience and i hevn’t even driven it daily yet

ok first things first…prepare to may thru the mouth if you want a nice car…modded cars go for significantly less due to the risk of well someone like myself owning it prior…means you don’t know how bad it was beat on.

scondly, registration can be a bitch if you have to do it yourself.

and thirdly…finding an insurance company to insure you is sometimes very hard. You’ll need to have the car appraised and then insure it that way…due to the lack of a normal vin number.

other issues…unless you know a your stuff about the rb’s prepare to pay a bit for servicing, if needed…you’l[l have to find a specilty shop…parts aren’t that hard to come by, but you will have to wait…and like it was stated before…12-15g’s for a 15 year old car…that WILL break, and you will be clueless as to why it’s actign the way it is, will cost you lots of money.

oh and stock gtst’s aint all that fast…if you can call it fast at all…more like quick.

lucky so who’d you end going with for insurance?

ran into a little bit of a problem getting the car registered…

so it’s not even cert or tested yet…appraised yes…so i haven’t even started looking for another polocy…i’m looking for a broker for optimum frontier…one of the younger guys on gtr canada recommended them.

registration issues should be solved as of saturday thanks to Gabe and japanese imports.

cool man. :thumleft:

let us know how it goes

Thanks for all the replies guys… I figured I could never really have a skyline as my only car :slight_smile:
Maybe in couple of years I’ll be able to buy one and my 240 will be the daily driver in that case… As for the insurance, I’ll will have to do some research. My insurance company gave me a real nice price for my 240…

wait until you have 10 years of experiance then get one…you’re eligable for silver wheel insurance…on a 15 year old car. valued at 20000$ insurance is $400 a year…there are some rules…but hey lets you have your toys and sanity too.

wait until you have 10 years of experiance then get one…you’re eligable for silver wheel insurance…on a 15 year old car. valued at 20000$ insurance is $400 a year…there are some rules…but hey lets you have your toys and sanity too.[/quote]

what insurance company offers that? I got a nice clean driving record (and I had my drivers license for about 8 years now)

i’ll see if i can find the info, but it’s silver wheel something or other…i was looking into having my dad insure the cefiro.

my r32 is my daily driver, almost a year… no major problems, just routine maintainance stuff
not to mention my brother also has an r32, also daily driver…no problems

imho if you dont get the RB25 or 26 there is no reason to get the R32… or any skyline for that matter

a GTS-T or any other with the RB20 has all the hassles of RHD and low parts-support with only a slight power advantage over an S13 w/ SR.

of course there is something to be said for having an interesting car

i can prove to you a rb20 is by FAR a better motor than the 25…they both will make the same amount of hp before an internal swap is needed is the biggest reason… aftermarket support…hmm onlything that isnt’ interchangable is the greddy intake and the side fed injectors off of the rb25…rb20 accepts gtr injectors with jsut a resistor pack. Rb25 turbo/vg30det/et will bolt right onto existing manifold…which is same as the rb25.

The 25 is cheaper and jsut as easy to mod…the ONLY thing that comes to mind that is hard to get remotely for the rb20 is the power fc whihc has to be custom ordered.

frankly for JUST the cost of swapping in a 25…you can have a 20 that will put more power out than a lightly modded 25. and since both will hit 400hp before they need a rebuild and head work…i’ll stay with the 20.

maybe more lag…but rb25 internals are dirt cheap and strock it to 2.3L.

Well, I would love to get a skyline with the RB26, but that’s just way too much money imo… I’m gonna save up for about a year and see where I stand with the cash… If I have enough, I’ll go with the GT-R.

Also, I called my insurance company today and they said it would be no problem at all to insure the car. As long as they get to appraise the car and the car itself is legal in Canada. As far as the price goes, he said it wouldn’t be that much at all, cuz of the age of the car (assuming I have a clean driving record)