So I just lost my job. V.Unemployment

Yeah, title pretty much says it all, i went to work yesterday and after busting my ass, my boss takes me into the office and sits me down. He explains that there is a slowing down of production, and theyve been losing customers, so hes going to have to lay me off. Kinda shitty, tho i understand. My boss was really apologetic about it, but he told me that theyre going to let me collect unemployment, and that they wont contest it. He also gave me his card AND wrote his personal home number in case i needed him as a reference.

So, kinda shitty that it had to happen :tdown:, but i guess its the kinda kick i neeed to finish up school and get a decent paying job.
But :tup: to good bosses.

So one question i have now is how much roughly am i going to get from unemployment. This job is the highest paying ive ever had, and i made around 370 Gross a week. How exactly does unemployment work in correlation to your pay?

http://www.labor.state.ny.us/ui/ui_index.shtm

usually its a bit more then half of ur regular pay…the base it on quarters…I would guess around $200 a week for you…

I had a job for awhile and then I quit to go back to school, and they were not accepting of the resignation so I applied for unemployment just to say fuck them and see if I could get it.

In fact I did get it however don’t expect too much. I believe they gave me something like 24% of my weekly income. So going from 450/week I only got 145/week.

Also it only lasts for 26 weeks…

It’s like 50 or 60 % of your gross, maxing out at 405 a week

60% of your gross pay. make sure you elect to have as much taxes taken out as possible, b/c otherwise come next year you will be owing like crazy.

if you are still in school, you can collect the unemployment for most of your duration as long as you keep going. find an under the table paying job, and you’ll have a very nice income for a long time while continuing your education!

or you can just get another job

a person my age, with little experience will have a hard time finding a decent paying job. IM planning on getting unemployment, AND loking for another job :wink: dont worry, im not gonna sit around and screw off and wait till unemployment runs out to find another job.

although the “paid vacation” will be pretty nice.

I use to work at Whiting door. My base pay was $12 and hr, and I had full bennies (Blue Cross/Blue Shield medical insurance, full dental/eye coverage…the works). Braught home $365 a week after taxes, and $411 if I worked two nights (2 hrs each night) of overtime. Unfortunaty I got sick of their shit so I quit and went back to landscaping. Damn…I miss the $ lol. Worst part is now that I was working under the table previously this year so I am not able to collect unemployment and I am having a hell of a time finding a job because nobody wants to hire me for insurance reasons. I recently had my shoulder reconstructed, and it takes a few years to heal completely. If I slip in the parkinglot or in the building or something they ar afraid I will sue them, (which I won’t, they are called accedents for a reason), but they don’t trust people.

Its based off a percentage of what you made the for the past 18 months or something…

I loved! when i got my checks … 306 bucks a week for doing dick was awesome

its based on your highest quarter divided by 25

I’m in the same boat. Got the boot a few days after christmas.

Been looking ever since.

Unemployment is a pain in the rear. I’m finally getting my first check, and its the 26th of january.

When you sign up, they make you call in and talk to an operator, just explain your situation, and give them some personal info.

I did this, and have been signing up every week on sunday to get the check (220 dollars in my case or some shit).

Anyways. I would never get anything deposited into my account.

You would call, it would be this automated bullshit. You would try to get an operator on the phone, it would say all operators are busy, please try again later, then it would hang up on you.

So I was calling like once a day for the past month. I even called every number in the phone book, they all said I had to call the automated service only. I even went to the labor office on transit, they handed me a sheet that said call the automated service. There were five people ahead of me in line with the same problem, they couldn’t get through!

I finally got through today, after racking up tons of minutes on my cell phone. The girl just said, oh the woman who did your interview didn’t activate your benefits, i’ll do that now, and deposit the 5 checks that we owe you right now.

Well gee thanks. Thank god I had money in savings, and other money to live on , and I didn’t need the unemployment money right away, or I would have been out on the streets.

You’re not that young?

Whats decent?

Where are you looking to work (location wise)?

You were in carpentry right (No, I didn’t read all the thread)?

Im 21

Decent, anything over 8 bucks an hour

I was working for 9.50/HR doing wood finishing / minor repairs, I also used shapers, band saw etc. OCCASIONALY I never set up the equiptment, but im very mechanically inclined and ish like that is a peice of cake with a bit of practice. It was just a “pay the bills and make good money” job while i was in school. I learned a hell of alot while i was there but never got to practice any of the customs type stuff (IE: Glass Stop, Glass installation, SDL, Mitors, ETC.) ME+Chisel=Damn good. Im very good with my hands

Location really doenst matter to me,

You’re looking at about $227 (give or take) a week if you dont have taxes taken out. I think I tossed my sheet that had my figures on it that shows the amount of weeks. I know its the value of the 1/4 divided by 26 though.

Yeah I applied mid-december and havent got any checks yet. Its basically impossible to get ahold of anyone. I been calling for the last month and finally got a hold of an operator, she transferred me to the person whose filing my claim, got her voice mail left a message to call me and been waiting 2 days now to return my call to figure out whats going on.

u should get around 200 a week they will give u a chase bank card that u can use as a credit card or at the atm its kinda nice, u can do everything online and never talk or hear from anyone…thats what i did for like 7 months, it sucks to be back working now.i loved the time wih my daughter

Interesting, but not surprising, to hear how lacking in “customer service” Unemployment is. Trust me, I am not saying what we have now is perfect, but before you vote for Hillary - who wants the government to take over health care (along with everything else) imagine what things would be like before pulling the lever.

Rich

Yep, I was living on the max for a time trying to find somthing. I’m still unemployed.

I don’t know, to be honest I’v thought about taking an Ak-47 to Blue Cross Blue Shield, and Independent Health. Both Suck ass in terms of customer service.

And if your one of the millions without health insurence then you don’t really give two shits if the service is good or not.