Sponsorships

Hey Dan, I take it you have not got any of Benson’s sweet sweet lovin then eh… cause it totally makes up for his lack of spelling/grammar. Everytime my cell rings and its Benson to say hes swingin throu Kitchener I just get so excited.

HAHA but thats why we love Benson.

To Dan-o. Sorry for being naive :slight_smile: I think even though I tried I still didn’t clearly describe what I was trying to say… So I’ll try again.

Don’t look at this personally, because it’s not - I was just usnig you as an example because you are here (or whatever). I acknowledge that you have a peice of equipment worth stupid amounts of money there, and that it depreciates, and that your time is OF COURSE not free. But, this is all true whether you are sitting on the couch, giving it to your misses on the hood of your car OR running the dyno. You’re paying for the dyno regardless of anything - whether it is generating income or not… so based on that if you can be running the dyno for free (or at a discounted rate) benefiting in ways other than actual cash (advertising, etc.) during the times where the dyno would normally not be generating any income (between appointments) then it’s working to your benefit, at least in some way (hopefully).

I hope that is more clear, that’s all I meant. I didn’t mean it is as you have the easy way out because it costs you nothing. I mean that it’s easier, (not physically easier, but easier in OUR minds) to provide a sponsorship to someone as its not costing you EXTRA on top of what it would be costing you if you did not sponsor someone.

Now, I left the fact that the dyno costs money to run in everything I just typed beacuse I have no information on that. I realize that you purchased a truck and the truck uses gas, the dyno and truck both need to be maintained, etc. - so I guess that sort of makes my point(s) moot in a way. Like I said, I have no information there though, a dyno could cost $50/hour in maintenance or consumeables for all I know but based on what I would GUESS, it’s substantially less than that.

Anyway, good discussion - this is what a message bould SHOULD be used for :wink:

what you are talking about John is perishability.

like a seat in a movie theatre, if you dont sell it one night you never get to sell it again but it doesnt cost you any more or less to sell that seat or to not sell that seat.

where as with a tangible item there is a direct cost to that item and it is only incurred when the product is purchased, for both buyer and seller, because from an accounting perspective the purchase cost to the seller is held in inventory.

if i give that item away i incur the cost but do not receive the income.

what you are trying to say is that the depreciation on the dyno does not change whether dan uses it or not.

in dan’s case i dont think your analogy holds true because of his travel costs. ie. there are costs incurred for him that are directly attributable to that dyno run. For example dan might have to bill people $50 per run plus a set up fee to cover him coming to and going away from the site. If his dyno were in a shop and didnt move then your analogy would be slightly more true because if there is an open time slot for the dyno then it would not make a marked difference on the balance sheet whether the dyno goes unused or to a person who is “sponsored” by dan and gets free dyno time.

^^^

btw, i am not agreeing with john there… and i think perishability might not be the correct word, but i have a cold so F off.

*edit… nope, perishability is the right term see link:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2006-02,GGLG:en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=define:+perishability&spell=1

third post in a row:

stemming from john’s attmepted point, if you were going to pitch Mr. U2ndyno you may wish to offer to only use unbooked time since it doesnt cannibalise on his revenue generating schedule, tuning your car at none peak times or at designated times at events where people could watch the car being tuned so that even though dan may be ‘sponsoring’ and not generating revenue he also stands to gain not only from the association but from the demo…

that is just an example anyways of an angle to take whereby the ‘sponsoree’ shows the presence of mind that the arrangement is supposed to generate a benefit for the ‘sponsorer’.

Baha - I still love ya.

yeah i agree with all you just said bing. I didn’t know the term for this, ‘perishability’ doesn’t seem too fitting – but if you say so! :slight_smile:

You’re right that in dan’s case althought he is offering a service, offering that service requires dan to spend money on top of his initial investment. I guess using u2ndyno specifically was a bad example to represent what I was trying to explain.

I totally didn’t mean for this to be about Dan, like I said before I just used his service as an example because it was already in my head and beacuse we all know and love him.

Let’s pretend Dan’s service is flow testing. Now do I sort of have a point? </desperate attempt to make me not sound so naive>

Haha - John…do you even know how much a flowbench costs.

Kidding aside…you run a business that is not much different than mine John.

What happens if nobody calls you today about hosting? Do you make any new money and does it still cost you money?
Why don’t you just give away hosting? Would that cost you money if you did just give it away?

john, wanna sponsor me with webhosting?

haha

I have no idea how much a flowbench costs, but again - it’s irrelevant to my point. AFAIK it costs next to nothing to run once you’ve purchased it. If I’m wrong, give me another strike for another bad example :slight_smile:

About the hosting thing, thats not quite how it works unfortunately. I don’t charge anything for my time (that would mean there would be set up fees and fees for tech support, etc. – but thats all free) What my customers pay for is exactly what I pay for, except marked up of course so there is some extra in it for me.

I pay X amount for the bandwidth for each account, and then mark that up and charge it to the customer. If I don’t sell any accounts, I don’t pay for them. If I do, I do pay for them. Sort of like selling an actual product, except my customers product only lasts for 30 days and then they need to pay again.

It’s slightly more complicated than that (in my favour thankfully) but thats the jist of it.

I already give you both silly discounts so where are the Jet Stream stickers on your websites huh? :smiley:

Mine is there…under partners.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it

OH SNAP!!!

http://bings.ca/images/misc/Other/Bingfnf2.gif

i got ownt :frowning:

<3 Dan

incorrect use of animation

1week ban.

yes actually, thanks for asking ,if u want a list please pm me and i will be more than happy to fill u in , i just dont wanna sit here and biggup myself, people who really do need it get it , the ones that dont get on my case and the ones that actually did give exposure to the shop get tons from us , one example Scotty MacKay 93 civic hatchback , went from street car to full out race car paying only for parts , free labor and storage , 3 years , approx. 500 hours in labor free over the years , not including track support and towing back and fourth , as anyone knows racing is a very involved sport and time is money.

there wass one point where there were so many cars getting deals and rocking the shop stickers that we started to have cops all around the shop cuz these homos were ripping around the city causing tons of issues , almost every modified import ud see had in the kw/cambridge area was rocking the shop name , (this was way before the F&F) so alot of people dont remember .

My reason for doing what i did was not crookd , whats looks better to someone , 5 % off $100 or 35% off $130 ??? it wasnt to screw people , but when u get annoyed to the point that u just want these kids off ur case u give in just to make the headache go away.

Everyone was either asking for a discount or a deal , why not do it this way and get something out of it ?exposure … Money attracts money like u said right ? Its not crooked , its bussiness, and ask anyone of the boy here thats ever bought anything off me , even Bing , u get a great discount, and buddy rate on labor, well i dont tell u how much to pay , u just pay how much u feel is right , ask Iquabob. If i feel that its too little , i say something .

Im still in contact with the boys at the shop , infact there still good freinds of mine , and since ive been gona sales are down about 35% so i guess i knew what i was doing , and there were smiles on peoples faces , its not crooked if everyone in the end is happy. So bob my freind , please dont assume everything i do is crooked, because its not. Need Sponsorship? LOL

I dunno …

I see so many people with sponsorship. Some it is for free stuff, some for heavily discounted.

What drives me insane, is seeing people that don’t need it, lying, cheating and stealing their way into getting it.

On the same hand, most of the companies that do have the money, have no idea where to spend it.

Show cars get most of the sponsorship. Which makes no sense to me. 95% of people that go to car shows don’t own modified cars, nor are they looking to buy parts for them. Look at the vendors, what sells? Cheap racing seats, $50 fart-can mufflers and any other ricer gee-gaw you can attach to your Tercel with double sided tape. Yet a lot of these cars are rocking free R-compound tires, free paint, free wheels, free stereo gear, etc etc. And they seem to be able to hook up all their buddies with free shit too.

Why? Because they can say 100,000 people will see the car.

Yet someone that actually races, even wins regularly, either is sponsored by his dad/brother/uncle’s company, or has Bob’s Firewood, Hank’s Towing, Grandma’s Lube and Oil and Biff’s Bodywork Bonanza splashed all over the car.

They’re not getting free parts. Yet numbnuts with the Skyline that sees maybe 1,000 km of driving a year, never sees a race track gets free turbos, cams, valvetrain, electronics, etc.

What makes me even angrier, especially in the so-called local scene, are the number of fully-sponsored drivers who suck balls. Who the hell sponsors a driver without actually seeing them drive?

That ends up burning it for the legitimate guys out there.

For every one of these sneaks that makes off with free parts for no return will sour that sponsor to the scene, and likely the whole sponsorship idea.

Sponsors are everywhere, you just have to work your ass off to get them. Sending every big-name tuning company you can think of an email saying “Yo, hook me up with some shizzle. I know all about e-braking it.” doesn’t count.

If these schmucks can sell themselves, you can too. It’s business, like everyone else has said. If you can’t look profitable (whether or not you actually are), who in their right mind would give you money/parts/hookup?

^ do i sense some jealousy cause you cant get free parts?

^ do I sense you trying to start shit in a perfectly good thread? please keep it to yourself :-/

a mod should delete this post and mr_240sx’s post right above it to keep it clean. IMO :slight_smile:

Unlike most people, I’m concerned with sustainability of a market, not just what free crap I can get for my car.

Way too many people just get in, get what they want, and cut and run.

And every asshat that ruins it for someone that deserves it, gets my back up.

Jealous? No. Just sharing experience.

No one’s shit fits my cars anyway LOL.

I’ve had to turn away free stuff simply because I have no use for it, or it was gay and useless.

Say you were Driftstar, or Dip, or Battle Endless. You had a chance for a full tire sponsorship for an event from Bridgestone Canada. You would get tires, tire machine, tire changers, and a huge feather in your cap to engage other big name event sponsors.

Then, at the meeting, you get turned down, because the last guy they sponsored to build his “show drift whatever” he failed to live up to the agreement. They’ve now canceled all sponsorship opportunities in this market, and are going to instead focus on light trucks and offroading.

Are you going to feel happy for that guy because he managed to “get his”

Do you think if you approached him, explained that your series is now canceled, you have a ton of other contributors and competitors that are ready to kill you … he’s going to feel bad?

No.

How does this help anyone except for one dumbass that wanted baller tires to park on?