SR Swap First Startup - Electrical Problems-Blowing Fuse, No Fuel Pump or Dash Power

I have being doing a complete s13 build/sr swap for the last year, I tried to start the sr for the first time last week and ran into all kinds of electrical trouble, and when it comes to wiring im a tard, so take it easy on me eh lol oh, and I sent my harness’ to wiring specialties to get swapped.

The main problems im having is a short somewhere thats blowing 100 amp fuses, I have the battery relocated to the trunk, and the fuse in the power distribution block keeps blowing. It only blows when the starter cranks overs. (The starter was kind of turning the motor over slow if that means anything)

So far, We disconnected everything that wasn’t needed, the trans harness was only connected from starter to the fuse panel and it would still pop the fuse soon as the starter cranked over.
We eliminated the battery relocation by switching it back up front to the stock setup.
Then I took the starter off and hooked it up to a battery direct with an inline fuse, everything worked perfect and the fuse stayed intact.
I took the engine harness completely out of the car and tossed it aside, I took off the lower trans harness as well. We checked the continuity of the lower harness with a multi-meter, it was all good, I removed all the tape from the lower harness and inspected every wire just to be sure, there was a plastic insulator on the starter power wire that sits between the starter casing, it was snapped in half so I made a new plastic piece, other then that it was all good.

I hooked the starter up, and ran the electrical connectors to the fuse panel, cranked the starter and it blew the fuse. So im lost now.
After talking to a few ppl I was under the impression it had to be either the starter or the lower harness, since the fuse would only blow when the starter was turned, it had to be in the start circuit. If anyone has any suggestions lets hear em’, I’ll try anything right about now. Thanks!!

Other problems im having is the fuel pump is not kicking in, and I have no power to the dash, only interior power I seem to have is dome lights, horn, 4-way signals, and aftermarket gauges. My main concern is the fuse for now tho.

Hmm…wiring specialties is top notch plug & play, it’s odd that you’d be having electrical problems after having them redo the harness?

i was thinking the same thing, they did a great job on the harness, so i don’t think they did anything wrong.
Yury was helpful via email, he also thought there was a problem with the starter. i removed everything and started from scratch in case it was a minor mistake. but sure enough it still blows.

where should i go from here? a buddy is gonna swing by tomoro and take a look, he knows way more about electrical then me, if ya want to throw some idea’s out, i’ll be sure to give it a shot!

Totally be best for your friend to check it out in person especially since he’s more knowledgeable in it, I can relate to wiring specialties harnesses’ since I’m using it on my SR. I’ll definitely throw some idea’s out if anything comes to mind, but all the best for tomorrow!

my buddy stopped in before, he said no wonder your blowing 100a fuse, since the starter draws 200a when cranking lol :facepalm:
i hooked the starter power wire to the opposite side of the distribution block to bypass the fuse and so far so good, the wire isn’t getting hot or anything, hopefully its good to go

Yea I was gonna say, the only automotive circuit that is always (or should be) unfused is the starter high current circuit.

Was gonna mention it earlier, but was too lazy lol.

lol i knew it had to be something incredibly stupid haha

now i have to get the fuel pump and interior power working
is there anyway to test the ECU? because there is no difference at all when the ecu is connected or unplugged
i have nothing, no wipers, signals, dashlights, heater, radio etc.

Sounds like good progress so far man, that’s odd about the wipers and other things… are there anymore blown fuses or what not to check for?

i’ve been to hell and back the last few days, according to wiring specialties the starter only draws 70a when starting and should be fine. after running the starter unfused, the coil pack harness started smoking, turns out one of the coils were wired wrong, and it melted a coil. i checked for spark, of course there is none. is there anyway to test the ignitor chip? i ran a test light to the 4 pin side and the first pin has power, when i connect the ignitor, i touch the pins with the test light and i get nothing. is there a way to test to make sure its toast? or does anyone have one to sell on the cheap??
i got the dash lights and fuel pump working, now i need some spark on the go.