sr20 swap in garage 1st timer

Hello everybody. I am planing on buying a s14 this spring/summer and plan to swap a sr20 in it of course. I want to do the swap myself but would like to know what i am getting into. I have read many forums and guides in doing the swap. I have done many brake jobs, new intake manifold, short shiffter installs ect so i think i’am some what machanically inclined. The only problem is that i am worried about the wirring. I had plan on bring my car to a shop to get the wirring done once i get the motor in. What do you guys think? am i getting in over my head or is it not that difficult to swap motors? i plan on swapping in a s14 blacktop. Thanks for you guys time, and sorry for the poor spelling.

What you failed to mention is the availability of tools as well as the amount of time you want to take to get it done.

Can you please claify “Intake Manifold”, if you mean short ram intake or cold air intake then I think you will need more time to complete the swap. Nothing’s impossible with the right research and time.

The forum has a spell check, by the way.

I have a pretty good set of tools, i would have to rent a engine hoist though. I have a air compressor ect… What i ment by intake manifold is an intake manifold, you know that bolts to the head and the injetors go into. Time is not an issue, i would like to get it done in like 2 weeks though… What do you think about the wirring though? better to bring it to a shop for that?

if you get an uncut harness then the wiring isn’t hard, most of it just plugs in. just make absolutely sure no plugs are cut off anywhere before you buy the engine.

To be safe spend the extra buck and have a pro do the wiring you dont want anyting messin up on u. As for puttin in the engine it should be pretty easy if everyting is stock. I tookout my ka made sure i rememebred where eveyrthing went and did. take photos jsut incase. But the swap could be as easy or as complicated depending on what you want to do. Such as fmic or leaving the stock side mount. Good Luck bro its always good to do ur own work so u know your car inside and out.
-mikey

Exactly, wiring is always an issue. Too many ppl will say its easy to do but they havent done it. I would have it professionally done. It costs like 400 bucks but that way you are guaranteed that nothing will be wired up wrong.

The last thing you want is the car running improperly because of mixed up wires. Take a look at the wires coming out of the ECU then imagine having to double check everything to correct a problem, its not the worth the time in my opinion. Do it right the first time, pay for it and you wont have the headaches down the road.

cool thanks for all the help guys. The thing i was kinda worried about was putting the motor in then taking it to a shop to get wired, then having the shop say did have of the swap wrong ect, ect, so they can get more cash out of me. Do you guys know a reputable shop that can do the wirring? Also im looking for a good company that sells a black top s14 (t28) for a good price. I called intense i think they quoted me at $2700

that :slight_smile: is supposed to be t28 im not shure why that smiley face came up

lol. well u pay for what u get for right. intesne has good reliable motors and so does VARUN. look for slipperysiliva. and if ur doin it ur self hes always there to help you out if u need anything and i hear he has a pretty good warrenty too his guy (mike i think) could do the wirifng for you too

is it true that some importers won’t import s14 sr blacktops anymore? ive heard from a reliable source that they are beaten on way too much and have the most problems.

anyone else heard this?

and pretty much everyone that has completed it says its easy.

i’m finishing up an sr swap right now and the only problems i’ve had were caused by a butchered harness that i had to rewire, i had the normal modifications that you have to do with any harness done in like an hour, the rest of it was wiring up stupid shit like a different igniter because one of the sr plugs was cut off for whatever reason.

if you have ever soldered before or feel like learning how to solder the wiring is not hard at all, you print off the heavy throttle sr swap guide and follow what it says, it tells you to connect this wire to this wire, this wire to this wire, and its pretty hard to mess up.

good luck.

isnt there guide only for a s13 redtop though?

There is a guide for s13 redtop you can look for at www.drifting.com tthey have dvd’s on sale on how to wire s13, s14, s15 I think it’s like $20 shows you how to wire everyhting they also sell how to swap rb25det and etc. Just look for it you might be Intrested that’s how i learned pretty much everything to my ride.

wiring personally imo was the easyest…just time consuming stripping wires and soldering. 90% of the wires colours on the SR harness is the same as the KA. Just find a tutoral with pics that show you which wires to lenghten as well. Lastly the swap should take no more than 4 days…took me 3 days with a few hands…none of us had done a swap before. Doing it now takes a day for a clean install. Re tape the whole harness in black tape before you put the harness in the car…makes a really clean install.

i heard that just yesterday, and it makes me quiver every time i start my car now lol… i sincerly hope if that is a problem that they let the market know what they are getting into