SSK for BMW 540i???

In the market for a SSK fo my 2000 BMW 540. What I really want to know is how they feel and is it worth the money? If anyone has one installed can we meet up so I can row your gears? Thanks

Is it worth the money? lol… dude, there cheap as hell… And some people love them, some hate them, its all on you… It shortens the distance in which you need to shift, nothing more.

and lol @ come over and “row your gears”… sounds kinda homo

Are you trying to shorten throws or clean up all the slop in the stock shifter or both?

I know what they are “supposed” to do but I was wondering if it made that much of a difference in my specific car. The row you gears comment was a joke, lol no fantasies here. Going from my e36 M3 to a 540i is not easy and I’m still trying to recover from my loss, lol.

Both for sure, my car is still pretty tight so slop isn’t a big issue but it can always get “snickier”.

Your loss? An e36 to an e39 540 is no loss… It’s a gain if anything…

You went from a 240 horsepower inline 6 with a wack ass 225 foot pounds of torque to a big boy 290 horsepower v8 with 324 foot pounds of torque, not to mention pure luxury with those numbers… Do you actually KNOW anything about cars or just see the “M” badge and think you got something special?

After a comment like that I almost dont want to give you advice, but no, the short throw shifter wont make a difference.

Coming from a previous dumpy 540 owner as well as several e36 m3’s
http://i40.tinypic.com/28klpop.jpg

E36 M > E39 540i all day long performance wise.
Big weight difference makes that bump in power feel like nothing, and the torque only a minor advantage.

I have a Rogue SSK in my E46M and it feels excellent. My shifter had a lot of slop beforehand, and now there’s none, and the throws are prolly 3/4-1" shorter in each gear. Very high quality piece, so if that’s what you’re looking for, I suggest Rogue Engineering.

SSK shortens throw, slop is fixed by delrin carrier arm bushings and a new shifter pivot joint. $45 in parts. Makes all the difference in the world.

I’ve had both and I know for a fact a 6 speed 540 will beat a 5 speed e36 m3. Maybe not by a TON but it will beat it stock for stock with identical drivers. On top of this its interior is a MILLION times better and more luxorious then the cheap looking interior the e36 has with its trim peices constantly breaking… My end point being its a joke for this kid to talk about the 540 being a DOWN grade lol… Thats like saying I went from a 2004 e46 328i to a 2011 750i, what a down grade. I dont give a fuck HOW many problems those junk 7 series have, its still an insane upgrade.

Wouldn’t an up/downgrade depend on the vehicles main purpose? If he was planning on tracking it, an E36M > 540i, 750i, E46 328i, etc… If he’s just driving around on the street and had no intentions of tracking it, then the 5 series would be an upgrade as it has more luxury. If/when I sell my 911 I wanna get a new 5-series so bad. Cars are fucking sick.

What cossey said. There’s a lot more to an up/downgrade than 0-60 and quarter mile times.

I really wanna argue subjective car characteristics with the former owner of that blue abortion in the pics above. :rofl

Lol the image of Papa Smurf holding a coat hanger just poppedinto my head and I burst out laughing. +rep

I agree and my thoughts were that the car would be a daily driven car for op which is how I came to my conclusion… I dont think ive seen too many 540s tracked period to be honest.

I really wanna argue the fact that your opinion means nothing in this world. While you pick a color becuase its a common color or the most in demand color im picking a color I MYSELF like. Im not a follower, I like unique things, the color was unique and the New owner who was a Millionaire and could have bought any car he desired bought mine… Oddley enough bought my 540 and said he was going to sell his 911 twin turbo porche to make room in his garage for it… Nedz32 went with me to deliver it, he can confirm this to all be true.

Dude you have anger issues and no I’m not a kid. The downgrade comment comes from posting sick autoX times and beating up on way more expensive cars. It is a downgrade when having spent thousnds on suspension/ performance parts, it’s a downgrade in the fact that my e36 stopped on a dime and shifted with 4 inches of throw. It’s a downgrade when my new 300+ lb/ft is a one wheel peeler coming out of every corner, go forbid it’s raining. It’s an upgrade to be able to fit two car seats in the back when the wife has the SUV. It’s an upgrade in highway ride and quieter exhaust. You win some you lose some.

I’m thinking Rogue, I loved their fit and finish of the carbon fiber front shock tower brace on my e36 M3. Thanks

yes, i do and have no problem admitting it… And do you use traction control? lol… i couldnt peel out for my life in my 540 when traction control was on.

E36 M3’s came stock with a LSD, thats the kind of traction control you should be using

not to pick sides, but overall an e36 m3 to that 5 series he has is a downgrade for sure…

lightweight performance cars with less hp run circles around big heavy cars on the track

hp doesnt mean anything honestly, not when u actually get to take a car on some twisties

and X2 about traction control, an LSD should be the only traction control you need :smiley: if thats what ya call it these days

sorry for your loss OP