stay away from:basil resale

[quote=“illusion20,post:36,topic:24473"”]

snip

[/quote]

This sounds about like my experience with Basil. Try and find ANY reason that the problem MIGHT be customer related and avoid doing the warranty work.

So because a customer gets a flat and puts a spare on, that gives you the right to jump to the conclusion that they drifted into a curb and broke the diff? Are you kidding me?

Like I said before, my experiences with my Ranger were enough that I’ll never go back to Basil, and anyone reading this thread should do the same.

And by the way, diffs do fail catastrophically under normal use some times. The rear diff in my Expedition was starting to chatter real bad, and after changing fluids it didn’t get any better. I took it to a trusted mechanic (read NOT BASIL) and they tore it apart, only to find sheared pins and a complete mess. The guy basically had to invent a tool to get the axle out of the diff. I’ve never hit anything, and I’ve only done light towing (light compared to what the truck is rated for anyway).

I can see were they are coming from since he took off the cover, 9 times out of 10 that would fail a warranty. The whole spare tire thing is a joke and proves nothing.

[quote=“num482,post:42,topic:24473"”]

I can see were they are coming from since he took off the cover, 9 times out of 10 that would fail a warranty.

[/quote]

So if I pull a valve cover off my new car, find a broken rocker and bent pushrod; then put the cover back on and take it to the dealer does that mean my warrenty on my engine is shot?

[quote=“97FormulaWS-6,post:43,topic:24473"”]

So if I pull a valve cover off my new car, find a broken rocker and bent pushrod; then put the cover back on and take it to the dealer does that mean my warrenty on my engine is shot?

[/quote]

yes, because how do they know you werent fucking around with something, broke it, and now are trying to get them to cover the cost of your fuck up.

[quote=“jeeves744,post:44,topic:24473"”]

yes, because how do they know you werent fucking around with something, broke it, and now are trying to get them to cover the cost of your fuck up.

[/quote]

Exactly my point. As much as it sucks if the owner of the vehicle starts taring things down to see whats wrong that voids the warranty.

A good friend of mine bought a 2000 Chevy S-10 5spd 2WD 4cyl from there. He is really not a vehicle enthusiast and does not know a lot about cars or trucks himself. When he purchased the truck he was talked into the the extended warranty. He rarely drives the truck and does not put many miles on it at all.

Within a few months of having the truck his tires wore out very fast and he found himself in the market for new ones. He went to Dunn tire to have his tires installed and due to the ware issues they recommended an alignment. He agreed to the alignment, but only to find the technician coming back about 10 min later to say " This truck appears to have been in a very bad accident at one point in time" and that due to the damage he was not going to be able to align it properly.

About 6 months after that his rear-end blew, he brought it back to Basil and between them and the warranty company, they refused to replace it. He ended up having to threaten law suites and requested his money back on the warranty before the finally decided to replace it and they ended up replacing it with used parts.

After the experience he had I would never even think about buying a vehicle from there. The truck was clearly in a bad accident at one point in time, and if a tire jockey at Dunn tire could see that, I’m sure Basil knew it before they sold it.

ONLY HALF THE TRUTH

I’m the tech who worked on Eric’s blazer. He failed to tell you that his spare tire is on the rear and the original tire has damage on it. He also failed to tell you that he took the rear end apart before having the vehicle towed to the delaership. So the question is : Why is the spare tire on the vehicle and why did he take it apart on his own?
From the looks of things he may have hit something sliding in the snow and jammed the axle and snapped the pin causing the damage. Rear ends don’t just fail driving down the road as he claimed. Also, the NYS Lemon Law warranty is 60 days or 3000 miles, which he is clearly out of. Basil extends that warranty to 6 months/ 6000 miles. How many dealers do that???
Even though we feel that something happened to the vehicle other than simply driving down the road, we agreed to split the bill with Eric to keep him satisified. His portion was $350. Looking at the situation we feel in good faith that splitting the repair was more than fair.
If the spare tire was not on the vehicle and the rear end had not been taken apart, we would have covered the repair without any questions.

[/quote]

i thought this guy was away at school and now he is the tech who repaired it??? am i illiterate or did i just miss somethin???

FYI:

More info:
http://www.consumer.state.ny.us/clahm/clahm-automobiles.htm

[quote=“illusion20,post:27,topic:24473"”]

I’m in Ohio at school.

[/quote]

I’m the tech who worked on Eric’s blazer.

[/quote]

Huh?

[quote=“Roush97,post:31,topic:24473"”]

He is probably upset about the fact the your uncle will not warrenty the car since some money hungrey auto-tech wants to get time on a customer pay job and not a warrenty job.

[/quote]

not totally true. Techs and dealers get paid the same to do warranty jobs as they do for paid customer jobs. On new cars with a factory warranty, GM (in this case) would pay the dealer for the job, so they get their money either way. now, on eric’s blazer, Basil would be paying for it out of pocket, but if i read everything correctly, they should still cover it under their own warranty claims.

and illusion20 or whatever, shut up about the spare tire bullshit. thats the most ridiculous thing i’ve ever heard. who’s to say that he got a flat and hasnt gotten a chance to get it fixed yet? and im sorry, but hitting a curb and popping the axle is a load of bullshit. you’d have to hit a curb pretty damn hard for that to happen, and i could almost guarantee you that something else in the suspension would have broke before the axle popped out.

Also, the NYS Lemon Law warranty is 60 days or 3000 miles, which he is clearly out of. Basil extends that warranty to 6 months/ 6000 miles. How many dealers do that???
Even though we feel that something happened to the vehicle other than

[/quote]

Paddock does :gotme:

we see so many cars in our shop that people brought from Basil because their customer service totally sucks. Now, i have heard my fair share of horror stories about Paddock as well (and the other area dealers for that matter) but to be bluntly honest, I don’t think i have ever heard anything good about Basil. I’m sorry your family runs a dishonest and shitty business.

[quote=“BikerFry,post:49,topic:24473"”]

Huh?

[/quote]

yeah i caught that as well, i just thought i read it wrong after i thought about it. guess not.

Eric, if it comes down to it and you need this fixed, let me know I will see what I can do for you at Paddock. unfortunately you’re going to have to pay for it, but i’ll see what i can do.

[quote=“MikeRi24,post:50,topic:24473"”]

not totally true. Techs and dealers get paid the same to do warranty jobs as they do for paid customer jobs.

[/quote]

Not totally true again. GM keeps two books for estimating how long a job will take.

Book A, lets refer to it as the “pound the customer in the ass book”, is the one that estimates hours for a job when a customer is paying for it. Just making up numbers, we’ll say that the pound the customer in the ass book would quote the rear end job at 10 hours.

Book B, lets refer it as the “How long the job really takes book”, is the one that estimates hours for a job when it’s covered under warranty, and GM will be picking up the cost of the techs time. In the how long it really takes book, the job will be estimated at considerably less hours, so lets say 5.

So if you’re a tech, which jobs do you want to do? The one where you can work for 5 hours and bill for 10, or the one where you work for 5 hours and bill for 5?

[quote=“JayS,post:52,topic:24473"”]

Not totally true again. GM keeps two books for estimating how long a job will take.

Book A, lets refer to it as the “pound the customer in the ass book”, is the one that estimates hours for a job when a customer is paying for it. Just making up numbers, we’ll say that the pound the customer in the ass book would quote the rear end job at 10 hours.

Book B, lets refer it as the “How long the job really takes book”, is the one that estimates hours for a job when it’s covered under warranty, and GM will be picking up the cost of the techs time. In the how long it really takes book, the job will be estimated at considerably less hours, so lets say 5.

So if you’re a tech, which jobs do you want to do? The one where you can work for 5 hours and bill for 10, or the one where you work for 5 hours and bill for 5?

[/quote]

hmm interesting. I have never heard of such a thing. Im gonna look into that at work tomorrow. as far i know, they type it into the computer and it gives them a labor number and then they punch the tech in and out on the job. Whether that number is different for warranty jobs as opposed to non-warranty jobs, i do not know and never really looked. Techs at my work always seem to be fighting for the warranty jobs though, so if what you say is correct, then that makes no sense to me. I’ll have to look into it if i can, because im curious myself now.

I have puchased several vehicles from Basil over the past fifteen years and have always had great service. Perhaps you are trying to make the dealership pay for your mistake. If you truly felt the dealership was at fault wouldn’t you just have the vehicle towed there for them to fix?? It seems that you are looking for a free repair… You do realize that the dealership gains nothing by pissing off customers…
I just wonder why you would try to repair something that you didn’t know anything about when you were sure that would be fixed for free.

[quote=“outlaw40,post:54,topic:24473"”]

I have puchased several vehicles from Basil over the past fifteen years and have always had great service. Perhaps you are trying to make the dealership pay for your mistake. If you truly felt the dealership was at fault wouldn’t you just have the vehicle towed there for them to fix?? It seems that you are looking for a free repair… You do realize that the dealership gains nothing by pissing off customers…
I just wonder why you would try to repair something that you didn’t know anything about when you were sure that would be fixed for free.

[/quote]

Interesting first post MR. BASIL. :eyebrow:

[quote=“BikerFry,post:49,topic:24473"”]

Huh?

[/quote]

im assuming once he spread the word that the he gave the tech his username and password to post. or he posted that for him

^^caught?

[quote=“MikeRi24,post:50,topic:24473"”]

not totally true. Techs and dealers get paid the same to do warranty jobs as they do for paid customer jobs. On new cars with a factory warranty, GM (in this case) would pay the dealer for the job, so they get their money either way. now, on eric’s blazer, Basil would be paying for it out of pocket, but if i read everything correctly, they should still cover it under their own warranty claims.

[/quote]

well im not extacly sure how GM warrenty works but when I was in the Ford ASET program warrenty work and customer pay jobs varied ALOT. I mean front brakes might pay .5 hours on warrenty and .8 on customer pay. Well thats how Ford did it atleast.

is this the dealer at the corner of transit and como?

if so…i will have a followup post/story that will contribute nicely to the stories posted thus far in this thread about Basil…

yea i just checked the thread…i gave my user name to the tech so he could post a response i am in school out of town…and i wish the people that had good experiances on here from basil would speak up i know there are a few on here i can think of…