Stealership rant on service of van

The diff started to whine in my delivery van so I took it to the guys next door. They confirmed it was the diff and the fluid was a pint low but could not work on it so I took it to the local Chevy dealership. The dealership said the fluid was “really” low. They had it for 2 and a half weeks and delivered it today. I had driven it Monday and told them something was definately not right and gave them some advice as to what I thought it was because they didn’t seem to have a clue. The advice included bleeding the brake lines they had removed and replacing the bad bearing in the rear.(Probably in the used rear end they supplied) The whine is about 20% quieter now but the brakes still feel like mush. They only charged $3637 dollars which I didn’t think was too bad considering last year replacing just brakelines was almost $900. After all the van has almost 48000 miles on it so I guess minor things will start to fail. (The ignition system was relaced at 11000 mile under warranty.)

holy fuck thats a lot for brake lines.

Wow, how does your ass feel?

Negative, this is normal… if not more.

How old is the van that is isn’t under powertrain warranty and it needed new brake lines? In 2007 Gm started 5yr/100k powertrain warranties. Who chose to put in a used rear end… you or the dealership? Where did you take it? Sorry for the interrogation but I am trying to see if I can help at all.

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

I must agree here. It’s all labor because of how long it takes to make them. The lines themselves are cheap.

It is older but it doesn’t get driven much so the mileage is pretty low. I don’t remember the exact number but the new one was like twice the price, maybe $1900. I asked him at least twice if GM would help out at all because the mileage was low and he said no because it was too old. It is what it is but I never reallly understood what age has to do with it. Sure rubber parts may dry rot with age but a drivetrain failing at 47,700 miles?

Edit: He said they had to drop the fuel tank to replace the lines. Nice design. lol

Edit: My dad’s Mercedes failed just out of mileage and Mercedes at least paid for the parts.

I beat the hell ouy of my truck plowing for 5 years and no driveline issues. Seems like a short life for your diff.

Frank would have been glad to help fyi. He’s just over the hill.

I thought of him but thing sounded pretty bad and I wasn’t sure what it would take to tow that beast being so tall etc.

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

The dealer was close and said it would take 3-4 days. Plus I thought I may get some kind of break in cost

Tidds would drag it there cheap, Dave & Bucky love us @ Howbills. Networking ftw.

I failed at networking this time. :frowning: I was in semi-panic mode.

I hate to ask but who do deliver for? And that is bs, 47,xxx and the rear end is whining. Dealerships always find a way to screw ya, it’s like pay this much or buy a new truck or car lol

It is my company, just parts to platers, etc. Fuck it Ima trade it in on a Raptor!

Saw a raptor yesterday they’re so awesome.

Need an in at a ford dealer?

Ah ok, and good choice, they probably won’t give you much lol, or they will fix it right and sell it for more

Each manufacturer is different but I hear you about the design. They build them for production, not repair. What year is it?

Not all dealerships always try to screw people and sometimes people are the problem too. There is no reason to put all of us in one basket.

So I took it somewhere else to get work done, including the parking brake that never worked after the dealer did work on the rear end last fall. The guy tells me the rear brakes were put in wrong were not working at all! Oh, and the rear diff fluid was spent which is why I took it to the dealer to begin with!!! NICE!
Keep in mind this vehicle (Chevy) only has 47,000 miles on it. lol

I would ask for that in writing with proof of any kind that you can get and storm into the chevy dealer you “had” the work done at and demand an explanation.

Not sure if Chevy has something like this, but I contacted Subaru after my car had to be flat bedded to the dealership for the third time. They basically where all up in the dealerships business about it and making sure I was getting exactly what I wanted.