STI or GTO? PLEASE HELP!

hello everyone. I too am in need of some advise on the purchase of a new car just as BigMack_Dsmer is. Some of you have know me and my GTI. I was at a few of the hybrid dynamics dyno days in youngwood. Had the gray MKIV GTI Turbo. Anyway, I have just sold that car and really stuck now. My needs for a car are as follows : From owning the VW for 4 years, i have learned what i like in a car. Power, performance, and quality. I used to own a 99 Trans Am and loved that car as well, but the quality was not anywhere near that of the GTI. So I have broken it down to a few cars and am in desparate need of assistance.

I love turboed cars. So at first glance, I thought about an EVO. I love the looks, 4 doors are more practical, Love the performance, even stacked up to an STI it is better, however, EVOs seem to be showing up more often, and the build quality or fit and finish is subpar. That worries me. So naturally, i then looked to the STI. Awesome performance, looks not as good as the EVO but good, and gotta love the sound! Either car has the performance that i am looking for and pretty good gas mileage.

Now to the other side of the spectrum. My other choice was an 06 GTO. The quality is that of a european car, the performance of a Vette, with a bumper replacement…even the looks are not that bad. Who doesnt love a V8? A good cam, exhaust, and possibly a turbo or blower, and there is not much that can touch it. The car is pretty roomy and they are not that common. I almost wanted to resort back to my TA days and buy an 02 WS6, but as in the other post, I tend to hear more and more mullet comments everytime a TA is spotted. Sad that the TA has gone down that route but nonetheless, i have already had one so i need something different.

So I guess my question is…

For 23k I can get a GTO with 400hp (Flywheel)
For 27k I can get an STI with 300hp (Flywheel)

Which is better for the money?
Which is a better car?
Which one would you spend your money on?

I know there are GTO owners out there and STI owners as well…please help a brother out!

Thanks all…sorry for the long thread! :dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

I think the first, big question is do you drive it year-round or do you have a winter beater? If you have to drive it in the snow, get the STi.

From there what do you like to actually do with the car? Just cruise it and do some drag racing? Or do you have interest in AutoX, road course or even just mountain road driving?

-TJ

Ok…well…i do have a winter beater. So the car would only be driven in nice weather and only from april to september. I used to take my GTI up to Keystone (pittsburgh raceway) so i do like to drag…and i do like a car that will handle nice country backroads and/or mountian roads.

Thanks for replying and for your help!

Have you test driven either car?

No i have not. I mean, i drove an 04 GTO when i sold cars at smail in greensburg. Drove a few when they first came out. But none with the LS2. As far as an STI is concerned…i have not driven one before.

Well if you haven’t driven an sti yet, they have noticeably more torque than the evo you don’t like and the feels more like a CAR when compared to the evo.

I would still take an evo over an sti but if you’re worried about build quality the sti’s interior is better made than the evo. And for being stock they handle! And the brakes are incredible from the factory.

I haven’t driven a gto so I can only give you the heads up on the Sti.

I’ve driven '05, '06 and '08 STi’s and AutoXed the '06. I’ve driven tons of GTOs (LS1 and 2) and AutoXed a few of 'em. For AutoX, or even mountain road running the STi is more fun. The GTO is big and heavy, and drives like it. It’s fun on faster sweapers, but in tight stuff and particularly in transition it’s killed by it’s weight, compromised suspension, and very limited tire size. Both cars can be made to drag rather well. The GTO’s interior and ride are much, much nicer though. Insurance rates on the STi will probably kill, and there’s the (unwanted) attention imports get from law enforcement types. In stock form both cars suffer from tremendous understeer at the limit. In the GTO you can trail-brake around it, and to some extent in the STi too. The STi (like most AWD nose-heavy cars) simply likes to get into a turn slow and lay the power down from the apex on out. One of the most fun mountain road drives I’ve ever had was in a buddy’s '06 WRX (non-STi). It is modded (coilovers but not overly low and stiff, lots of suspension braces which I guess relocate a few pick-up points for improved geometery, good brake pads/fluid, and some minor power mods) but not wild. But the biggest fun-factor mod on it is a steering column with a 1:1.5 reduction gear box in it (ie 1 turn of the steering wheels turns the input to the steering box 1.5 times) which allows you to nearly never have to shuffle your hands on the wheel and drive it like a go kart. The road I ran was very, very tight and a bit choppy in spots. The car just ate it up and really let me attack the apexes then just floor it slightly pre-apex and pull out. REALLY, really fun. A GTO is going to be a way nicer ‘cruiser’ though and still reasonable on a twisty road but not in full-attack mode.

-TJ

Personally, I would take the STI over the GTO. It really all depends on what you want out of the car as TJ said. I’ve driven a STI but have not had the chance to do so with the GTO. I’m sure with reasonable mods both can be a fun car. I would check on insurance rates for both cars, and keep in mind your long term goals. The LS series motor can make some big power but still be very docile on the road, while the STI can make some big power with a larger turbo and some other mods. Also, have you checked upkeep costs on both cars, Subaru’s tend to be on the expensive side for repairs. It’s all up to you bud.

STi

get the sti, the gto is ugly and heavy

if going subaru then the STI is prob a better choice. but look inot replacement parts. they are cheap to repair when they do break. i just have nightmares of having to buy a replacement trans for one. as i priced one out a while ago. granted they are durable but everything breaks if you hammer on it enough.

my biggest complaint on the GTO is the rear diff. i hate independent rear. just feel like a ticking time bomb to me. luckily you cannot fit too big of a tire under them. they are lot easier to work on though. lot easier than f bucket IMO. i def like the ride and interior in them. i never really liked f bodys cause of the way you sit in them. the GTO has much more comfort and can have 4 people in the car.

I think you’ve really got to go drive them both and see which one you want to live with, as neither seems like a “mistake” to purchase, just a question of which car’s personality tickles your shalaly.

Since its only going to be a fair weather car, there is no question on the GTO.

The interior is second to none.

The ride quality and handling from the factory is good, but with a few after market parts thrown in, this car can really hang well in some twisties.

And well as far as powertrain goes, cant beat an LSx mated to a T56 or 4L65E…

The IRS is not the best for the drag strip, but is quite nice to have on the street, and the Diff is nowhere near as weak as the stock WS6 rear end, there are people that cut 1.5 60’s on stock rear ends with no problem.

Full exhaust and a little spray and I am running 11.8’s in a comfortable car that I drive every day of the year.

STI, it’s not even close.

Care to elaborate?

gto’s look like grand ams?

Looks like a Pontiac.

Pretty much the exact opposite in apperence from the STI with the Airplane wing on the back.

Understated sleeper ftw.

I have ridden in both gto’s and sti’s. The gto drives like my crown vic only faster. The sti was more like a sports car and less like a grandpa car, like the gto was.

For just drag racing, I guess the GTO would be better but if you use the car as a street car, the STI is the clear favorite.

Plus the fact that I do not like GM cars, except for a very select few. :smiley:

Have you actually driven one or just ridden in one?

Perhaps the comfortable seats confused you, this car drives nothing like a crown vic.

Street car, clear favorite STI? The GTO is Way more comfortable, looks less boyracerish, is faster stock for stock, and is cheaper. Real cars are RWD :slight_smile: