stretched tires...

Never knew. Good information. :tup:

How are people going to learn if, when they ask for it, they get a 2nd grade explanation? Or, as is more common place, no explanation at all.

Just sayin…

I’ll be running a uber small stretch on my BBS, just cuz :smiley:

i have 215-35-18 tires on 18x7.5 (not sure what the offset is, i think its 38), its not “STRETCHED” but it does have a little bit of a “roll” to it on the sidewalls. however, i dont think it would be that easy to bend the rim at all. i would have to be stupid and hit a pool-sized pothole… it handles good, and looks great… i have friends with 225-35-18 profile tires and their sidewalls are much more flat comapred to mine.

“over-stretching” like in the pics of the VW and the AUDI can be dangerous to ride on.

:lolham:

I kinda think if I don’t stretch on my bbs that I will rub like a mofo. My car is dropped fuggin hard.

just get normal sized tires…

Redigested and then regurgitated:

If you are poor and run shitbox wallmart tires during autocrossing then you will get a more responsive car… still wont last long under competition and dangerous under sustained agressive street driving

If you think that stretching tires has anything but negative impacts on handling you need to get out of the car scene.

No. Wallmart shit tires stretched = riding on rim at autox. In fact, I am not even sure you would pass tech if they were stretched too much.

“any reputable wheel/tire shop should be able to do it. i know when i did a 215-45 kumho on a 8.5” wheel, it took one shop 90lbs to pop the bead. getting a 225-45 on a 9 and a 245-40 on a 10.5 took another shop 50 lbs"

I do not find this ricey stretching if i did the math right, just got up from a nap. an 8.46" tire on an 8.5" wheel (the 215). an 8.8" wide tire in a 9" wheel (the 225) or a 9.6" on a 10.5" wide wheel (the 245)

i am planning of putting a 205 or 225 (Hoosier or RA1) (8.07 and 8.8 respectively) on an 8" wheel, this combination has proven results.

Proven results for what?

Putting a 205 on a 8" rim is within the recommend rim width per the tire manufacturer:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Hoosier&model=R6&tirePageLocQty=

And 1/2" bigger than Toyo’s recommenation:

http://marktg.toyotires.com/file/18968.pdf

Oh yeah, forgot that hoosier 205 = everyone else’s 225. But still, I’m running 275’s on an 8.5" wheel. More rubber = proven results.

Not completely true, an insane stretch yes, people have a better time running a square set up on E46M, a 265/35R19 on 9 front and 10 rear wheels, it results in a slight stretch in the rear. In comparison to a 725/30R19 square set up (9F, 10R)

No, it is that way to a point, but in the end having to much tire for a car will result in the car slowing down due to to much friction, in anything other than a straight line.

What?! Too much friction slowing the car down? Are you serious with this?

then maybe you shouldn’t post more rubber=better, adequate would be a better word to use.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
ad·e·quate /ˈædɪkwɪt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ad-i-kwit] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective

1. as much or as good as necessary for some requirement or purpose; fully sufficient, suitable, or fit (often fol. by to or for): This car is adequate to our needs. adequate food for fifty people.

I posted it because it’s true. I have never seen personally, or talked to anyone that has ever said “Oh man, I have too much tire and it’s slowing me down out there.” That, coupled with the physics of racing = no such thing as too much rubber.

Now if you want to talk about clearance issues and not being able to turn your wheels enough, or tires are too wide for the wheels (275s on a 6" wheel?), well then that’s a problem with car setup. Maybe you misunderstood what I meant, and you thought that I was saying you can’t put too much tire on a specific size wheel, in which case there is a point of diminishing returns. However, it’s not too much friction that causes the decline in performance.

Meh, I’ve heard of people complaining that they can’t heat up a set of 225s enough and 205s are ADEQUATE.

We are talking about sub 1800 lb cars with 90 WHP. And talking about an “R” r-comp and not an “A” r-comp.