Subs problems.. Due to???

Alrite guys, so last week i got a pager alarm installed, and it wasn’t unlocking the doors when the buttons were pushed, which i knew, and the alarm guy knew that it was because my battery was almost dead. OK
so i charged it up, and this week, my alarm didn’t work at all, neither did the L.E.D in the car, so i went in the car tried to start it, no juice, tried to turn on the interior lights, no juice, nothing. So i charged my battery after i realized this today for about 15 minutes, I started the car, and it was fine, pulled it out on the driveway and turned it off. Reason i did this is because the car is ready to be insured and i need to mount my amp somewhere… So i disconnect the amp that was just lying in the hatch floor. Move it, re route the wires to hide it, and the amp was mounted onto the back of the back seat. So everything is wired backup now. I go to start the car. And it barely had enough juice to start, so i get it on, turn on the deck to make sure it’s all good, and power to the amp is fine because i see the light on on the amp. Then im ready to make sure that the subs pound fine again. Turn it up, and its just thumps… I figured maybe i accidentally hit a amp knob or switch because its happened before, so i leave it playing and im playing with the gain and crap. And i still only get minor thumps, No bassy feeling at all… So i gave up, i realized that the wiring, and amp is all good, and the subs are going, but thumping, not bass that you can feel in your chest… So i put the car back on charge because i know its almost dead again… Now what is the problem here? i just moved the amp and wired it right back up… Could the amp be getting power but just not enough to supply the subs with “real bass” not thumps?
I hope thats what it is… Any ideas? Im leaving it on charge for a while then goign to see if I get the bass back…

help please! :x

buy a battery…

Thanks for your 3 word answer…
Seriously though, is that the reason they aren’t getting Bass?

Its seems that you amp is not getting enough voltage. So I would also say invest in a new battery. But also you should get your altinator checked. makie sure it is running at the propper voltage.

12V to be exact! :slight_smile: u should buy a digital voltage meter, those are damn cool.

Check battery, alternator, and amp grounds.

Also the HU conection, you might have yanked it during the reinstall.

DRE

HU?

HU = Head Unit

CHeck which connections in it? i havent touched it…

1. Are you subs ok while the car is running? Or are they the same with car on and off?
  2. Check battery voltage while car is running … should be 13V or so
  3. Are the subs moving in and out a lot? But still no thump? Causes:
  • your sub box is leaking air / not sealed properly
  • you have 2 subs and they are running out of phase (or similar)
  • your amp is fried … this happened to me once. Something inside breaks and it still ‘works’ just doesn’t produce any real power.
  1. Subs not moving in and out? Try letting your amp power some other sub … maybe your subs voice coils are damaged?

PS: once you empty your battery a few times it is time to get a new one. lead-acid does not deal well with full discharge (unless you have one of those deep-cycle batteries aka Optima yellow top or similar)

1. Are you subs ok while the car is running? Or are they the same with car on and off?
    No, they aren’t good on or off, They were excellent a couple days ago…
  2. Check battery voltage while car is running … should be 13V or so
    I will wen i get a chance
  3. Are the subs moving in and out a lot? But still no thump? Causes:
  • your sub box is leaking air / not sealed properly
    yes i do have a minor leak in both, due to my frame i made on my box, silicon work to fix it?
  • you have 2 subs and they are running out of phase (or similar)
    meaning?
  • your amp is fried … this happened to me once. Something inside breaks and it still ‘works’ just doesn’t produce any real power.
    JL audio amp, has a thermal, and blow light, cant blow
  1. Subs not moving in and out? Try letting your amp power some other sub … maybe your subs voice coils are damaged?
    Yes they do move in and out, ALOT like before, just a total different sound. Like i said. A thump, not Bass…

No offense dude, but you shouldn’t be running high end stereo equipment if you don’t know what out of phase means.

Out of phase is when one of your subs is wired incorrectly, meaning reverse polarity. What happens is instead both subs pushing out/pulling in at the same time, one will push out while the other pulls in and vice-versa. Hence “out of phase” and therefore resulting in a weird sound. Now you’ve been taught.

actually you should be running just over 14v If you battery or altornator is around 12v then they are gone.

Thanks Jay, well nothins fixed… who wants to make some $$ near me in mississauga :roll:

1. Try sealling your box.

2. Try connecting your system to a new/borrowed battery

3. If still not working, check all the wiring again.

I had this problem when I was testing a friend’s new subs connected to an existing setup which we knew worked. We never figured out how to correct it, but when we tried them in my car they pounded. Now I have a capacitor so I am not sure if that is the reason, but from that I would assume that the subs are not getting enough power.

where in Missisauga are you?
I might be able to help you Saturday, or at least test everything in order to narrow down the problem.

DRE

First of all start your car and disconnect the battery, if the car stalls you need a new alternator (or check all wiring and connections). If the car does not stall, measure the voltage between the disconnected battery cable and chassis ground. This will tell you if your alternator has the correct output. If it does ~14 volts, then re connect the battery and measure the voltage again, if there is a big voltage drop with the battery connected then you either have a bad cell in your battery, no water in your battery or just a really dead battery so have it load tested to find out. If your amp was running on low voltage it could have been dammaged since it will draw more current at a lower voltage. If you have sound but you are not flipping coins on the roof then check your line level input, also check to see that you did not dammage the gain pot while turning it. And of course make sure the crossover is not set to hi pass. Also if you want to rule out problems from the head unit or patch cord, hook up your disk man to the amp and see if it works better. And most importantly make sure all your ground connections are secure and that you did not chop a wire when you flipped the seat down.

Thanks VTECTHIS but its all getting so frustrating…
Dre im at Winston Churchill and 403