Summer 2010 Meets, Events & Track Days?

So spring is a few months away and we’ve been brainstorming what to do this summer. Here are a few items that we’re considering:

Track Days

• Dunnville is still a toss-up. We have a meeting coming up that should get us more answers.
  • Until we know what’s up with Dunnville we’re not going to setup any Official NYSpeed track days, but rather suggest track events already planned by other organizations.

Events

• Carlisle is an event that several NYSpeed members go to anyway, and I’ve reached out to my contacts to see if we can get that pavilion like we did back in 2006… but don’t hold your breath. If we can’t secure the pavilion there won’t be any reason to make this a formal NYSpeed event.
  • Blown Euros is an event we’ll definitely be attending again. We’re waiting on a date though.
  • Grand Prix Watkins Glen is again on the agenda right now for 4th of July weekend.
  • Grand Prix Toronto is a tossup and will depend on who the title sponsor of the race is going to be (the “logos” problem.)
  • Drift Mania is another event we’ll be attending again especially since MPD47 and a few SON members will be competing.

Meets

• Spring Meet or Summer Meet? Where and when should we have them? Several members have suggested different places to have meets, but it also depends on when people want to have them. We’ve had a spring meet on the same weekend for the past 2 years (May 23rd this year) and we always get a lot of interest, and even though the weather has always been clear and sunny, it’s always been a tad cold. And the threat of cold often keeps people away. So maybe we should just focus on a large summer meet instead?
  • Time Square Run, when we get more info will definitely happen.
  • Bing’s Niagara Meet will also be a definite.
  • Watkins Glen Opening Day - we’ve taken small cruises up there for the past 2 years and it’s always a great time and fun drive. We’ll do the same this year.
  • Woodward Dream Cruise? I’ve only been once in my life, but if you’re into cars (especially domestics) this is a trip you NEED to take at least once in your life. Stopping on a 4-lane street to do burnouts in custom made burnout boxes on the side of the road is an amazing time. I’d like to do this if we have the interest.

Some extra thoughts:

• We could combine a spring meet with opening day at Watkins Glen, that might be cool. I’m sure I could get us some space inside the track that day to cookout / hangout.
  • Newman suggested going to that large H2O euro meet… but I don’t have any details on it. Has anyone been there?
  • Doing the Winged Warrior Performance Challenge again - Indy was real fun, the drive was just kinda shitty. For those that don’t know, it’s an Auto-X + Drag Race + Show competition between imports and domestics for charity.

So what do you guys think? Any suggestions?

i feel like we definitely need to arrange that :snky: meet that we discussed at valet and never got around too…

i went to woodward last year. def a good time to see amazing quality muscle cars. and to cruise and do burnouts etc. which the cops wont do anything about.

I definitely want to participate this year. I will probably suck it up and not get a car worth going for, but I’ll attempt to take pics instead.

I’m down to def do some more shows now that I have the ability to take off when i need to. Woodward sounds like a great time. May even be interested in the winged warriors.

i already booked my hotel room for woodward again.

there is so many cars there i think it is impossible to see them all while you are there.

Ambitious plans

I Don’t know the dates of anything, but why not a spring and end of summer meet?
I’m definately going to carlisle , hopefully watkins glenn for the 4th, bings, and driftmania.
along with any other event that comes up that seems interesting

In for many events! I am mostly going to stick to racing related ones. Meets and just chilling aren’t my thing as most of you are creepers.

In for most of those events

im pit crewing every saturday so i will most likely be out for the full weekend stuff unless there is a bye week

only 60% are creepers :run:

Excited for stuff this season Josh. Should know BlownEuros details this coming week.

Except you are crewing for me for DMCC, bitch! :run:

Apparently Drift Mania is the same weekend as the 4th of July Watkins Glen race… So we’ll need to sort that one out.

The Winged Warrior competition is 8 hours away and from what I’ve read on their forums from last year, I guess their judges never even showed up, lol. Maybe that’s not the best event for us.

I think Woodward could be awesome if we get a group going. Mike, where are you staying?

As far as having both a spring and summer meet, that just depends on people’s interest. If we have a spring meet, where should we have it? Should we do our own thing at a park again or combine it with Watkins Glen opening day?

Watkins Glen opening day last year was a blast
def had fun with the little group we went with, could possibly be alot more fun with more people
oh except for all of us hitting that deer… :meh:

the fairfield inn i think. i have the stuff at home

EDIT

hampton inn
32420 Stephenson Highway
Madison Heights, MI 48071

That’s what I was thinking too. It was warm out right? I remember it being real nice. That date is at the end of April… but our spring meet last year was a few weeks later and it was cold. They’re both about the same time of year so it makes sense to combine them.

I stayed somewhere in Auburn Hills and I remember we started at the ‘beginning’ of Woodward Ave and drove all the way towards Detroit… but it was so long and there were so many cars that we never made it to the city.

If we did burnouts in every burnout box, we wouldn’t have any tire left to make it to the city anyway, lol.

that hotel is probably like 15-20 away from the actual cruise. which was nice to avoid all the traffic when you didnt feel like sitting there for hours waiting to get around the loop

In for the Woodward Dream cruise, when is it?

its pretty much all week they have stuff going on august 15th-22st. but the actual cruise is on Saturday august 21st