suspension gurus chime in, i've got a few questions.

Hey Aaron, Nice to see the car today, your workmanship is impecable and precise! I’m loking forward to working with you this season.

So I did a search and found this

Spring rate and ride height information
STOCK
Spring Rate - F : 2.0kg/mm (2.2 for sport package?)
Spring Rate - R : 2.0kg/mm (2.2 for sport package?)
Ride Height - F : 0"
Ride Height - R : 0"

It was located here:

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/11638

Scroll down to just below the main rearend diagram.

I have no idea what year this info is from, nor if it’s s13 or s14, or even what credibility the info poster has… as it was posted in '02

Good luck, hope my spring helped you out.

Those same numbers have come up a few times in my search, so it looks like they are legit numbers, but it still doesn’t say weather they are for s13 or s14.

It’s either the front or rear set, but one pair is interchangable from s13 to s14… anyone know if it is the rears?

And the spring I gave you would be the sport package, being from an LE

omg, that is just pure awesome-ness. now that’s a custom job, when can i see that in superstreet?

thanks for the help theo. wow, that really is soft. i wasn’t expecting it to be that soft in the rear end, or the front for that matter.

i’m looking forward to a successful season this year for both of us. :wink:

holy shit an f20 in a crx? i’ve only seen one of these swaps done which was in a civic but it was fwd. good luck with the build, this is amazing.

looks like some nissan’s are gonna have a good competitor, agreed, post a build thread

i’ll post a build thread, but where should i do that? or can i just convert this into a build thread?

You could convert this or I’d say maybe in “Technical”?

The ‘Car Chat’ section would be a good spot.

^^ I thought that’s where this was, I wasn’t paying attention :stuck_out_tongue:

as far as spring rates your going to have to experiment a little to figure out. It also depends on application your going to run. I would say for mostly street but taking it to the track as well, I would try a soft spring big bar set-up, Just because you would probably find it more comfortable for street but handles decent in the corners. Maybe figure out how much this car weights then get a good idea on what spring rates you want to try? Also try http://nissanroadracing.com for more info they seem to concentrate more on suspension for nissans

^^ SSBB set up lol… You come from the Stock Car world, don’t you? :smiley:

It’s a decent set up, but it’s a bit of a crutch, especially in something that’s not a 4-link set up.

I would say you should figure out what kind of weight you’re gonna have on the rear of that thing first… I would imagine it’s not going to have the same weight as an S14, so what might work well for an S-chassis, might not work so well for that car. Can’t wait to see more though.

thisll make ppl turn heads

how is it a bit of a crutch?

Because using soft springs and a big sway is fine for oval racing, but in situations where you’re doing more than turning left, and aren’t running a linked set up, it is not nearly as effective as a proper sized bar, and correct spring rates.

It’s meant to be used with 3 and 4 link set ups, in a car designed to turn left. The whole purpose behind it is to allow the weight to dump onto the outside rear tire, which is good on an oval, not so good when you’re transitioning left and right. I have yet to see a single road course car that relies on that set up and is more effective than proper spring weights and a reasonable sized sway bar.

I wasn’t shitting on you, or your idea. SSBB set ups are awesome for a latemodel circle track car. But that’s where they should stay. (I was smiling at the fact that you used that term, because I’ve never heard it thrown around outside the circle track crowd) I suppose crutch was the wrong word, maybe I should’ve said, it’s not appropriate for a road course car, because I know it’s a very effective roundy round setup.

There are a few auto-x guys that are having really good success with it. Plus rally guys, cart guys, etc etc The idea with this set-up is to change your method of driving as compared to traditional way of thinking/ driving. Example would be easy into the corner then hard out just before the apex of the corner. Its more of “momentum” driving if you know what I mean. Yes you are right if you drive into a corner really hard you will have to worry about the inner wheels lifting.

Rally is a poor example. Dirt responds to suspension the exact opposite of asphalt. You actually want body roll offroad to have the car respond and corner properly. I’m not too familiar with carts so I won’t comment on that.

I’m aware of the driving technique involved as well, but I maintain that if you were to encounter quick transitions it’s not going to have the same response as a properly tuned complete suspension package.

I’m surprised auto-x guys are having luck with it, they’re also probably running no front sway bar to compensate, because the principle of the whole suspension design is not conducive to left/right transitions.

Keep in mind, I’m also assuming you are referring to a true SSBB set up, where your springs are the equivalent of softer than stock, with a much larger than stock sway bar… IE the only thing keeping your car from rolling like a 1984 Delta 88 is the sway bar. Not just stock springs with an upgraded sway, that’s not really a true SSBB set up.

if your talking about a small track with quick/tight cornering then I could see it being hard to use this set-up but we weren’t talking about just one specific type/style of track. I was just trying to say this guy said its a driver with some track duty. Wouldn’t you find softer springs better for street driving?

Yes, but I think you must be confusing the term of a “Soft Spring, Big Bar” set up then.

Just because you’re running a 25mm sway bar, and 8/6 springs, instead of a stock sway bar and 11/9s doesn’t mean you’ve got a SSBB set up.

But I’m not?? How am I confusing it?