What suspension to use???

What the best thing to use if wanna get good suspension, and lets say the budget is like 2k.
What is the best combinations to go:
Shock and springs or shock and coilovers? and what kind would be good?

Thanks

And what brand would you recommend?

IHMO, I think the most cost effective suspension would involve cutting the OE springs and removing the front sway bar. This setup lowers the car 2"-2.5" in the front and 2.25"-3" in the rear and allows you to do drift like a pro!

lol… no but seriously.

For 2 Grand, I’d get a coilover system and use the leftover money (if any, depending on brand and cost) for strut bars. Oh yeah only Rice coliovers need a shock.

With good coilovers, I don’t think strut bars will make much of a difference. Putting the extra money towards a set of sticky tires will help alot more.

Agreed, with good stiff coilovers STB’s and Sways do nothing.

Save up and get sticky tires.

That great, so everybody agree’s on a good coilover system, but what brand would you recomend? What is considered good?

What do you plan on doing with the car?

Just for street use, more like a daily driver…stuff like that, dont plan on making it into a drag car or anything.

I have to disagree with the comment on sway bars. A stiffer sway bar can have a large impact on handling. Stiffer swaybars keep the car ‘flatter’ and put more of the tire in contact with the road. True, you could run a higher spring rate to compensate, but a properly setup suspension with softer springs and a stiffer sway bar could easily out handle it. Also, if you get an adjustable swaybar setup (ie. Whiteline) you can also tweak the vehicle’s handling balance by adjusting the swaybar. Try doing that by swapping out springs until you get the right balance.

Anyhoo… my point here is suspension must be considered as a whole and not just springs or shocks.[/quote]

Sorry Phillip I should have said it in more detail but what I ment
for a Budget of $2k then it’s best spent on coilovers and tires.
But defenatly get Swaybars and Strut Tower Bars Later on.

Don’t bother with coilovers then. Just get springs and shocks.

Most coilovers are much stiffer than you’d like on the street. Even at softest settings, my Tein Flex (which are soft as far as coilovers go) aren’t exactly what you’d call comfortable daily driving.

If you plan on going to the track fairly often, it may be worth it to get coilovers… but that’s up to you.

Riding in Mike’s car with Tein S-Tech’s and KYB AGX’s I was very
impressed with the ride quality, very streetable and also very trackable.