Taurus help

My girlfriends car is leaking tranny fluid from between the bell housing and the motor itself, I am assuming the the torque converter seal is shot. Obviously to fix this I need to pull the tranny and the chiltons manual she has is telling me that I need to pull the motor in order to get the tranny out. I am NOT pulling the motor out of this car so does anyone know if you can get the tranny out through the bottom? The car is a 94 taurus with a 4 speed auto and the 3.8 liter.

Possibly a rear main seal that is leaking. Regardless, the trans would need to be removed to fix whatever is leaking. Trans can be removed while leaving the engine in, may nee to remove the subframe however.

You might want to talk to Alex a.k.a. somedude here on the boards…

pull the exhaust, unbolt the struts atthe top, drop the subframe, drop the tranny

its not a small job either

SHO swap? :slight_smile:

Basically what HRK said is required.

94 ? is it even worth it?

it is a cheap fix but will take about 6 hours to pull the trans (probably less since yours isn’t a SHO like mine. but we need to add 2 hours to your time because of your snapped exhaust manifold studs. so about 8 hours to get it out and about 4 to get it back in.

trans seal
2 exhaust manifold gaskets
flex pipe gasket.
2 bolts and 2 nuts to replace broken flexpipe bolts.
4-6 qts of trans fluid

I’ve been leaning towards no the more I think about it. She drove from Southgate to east aurora with the leak (its pretty significant) and even before the leak the tranny was acting up. She only paid 400 bucks for the car, it doesn’t have its original motor and whoever put it in did some retarded things IMO. Basically im thinking its not worth sinking anymore money into the car since she is getting a new one come spring anyways