teh 300zx

Sup guys, I was just doing some long term thinking about cars, and what it comes down to for me (next summer) is either do big mods to mine (SR, wheels, etc), OR get a 300zx. There’s no really other car I like that I can afford (budget is liek 13000 max), except maybe the 3 series (e36).

I’m just curious, since a lot of you guys have SR swaps and have around 10 000 (including car purchase price) into your car, you COULD have gotten a z32 no problem, but you stayed with the 240. Just wondering why…

The z32 has great looks and lots of power (even NA has like 215 or whatever hp which is pretty fast…), esp the turbo. Only downsides are is that it’s heavy and I heard it was unreliable…

Thanks!

Well, from Consumerguide:

1992 240sx Fastback: 2730lbs and 155hp = 17.6lbs/hp
1990 300zx Hatcback N/A: 3300lbs and 220hp = 15lbs/hp

The power to weight ratio is in favour of the 300zx, but I think the lighter 240 would be more fun to toss into the corners than the heavier 300zx.

Find both, drive both, report your personal feelings. :slight_smile:

NA Zs are slow, and have you ever worked on one before? The engine bay is cramped to say the least, dont even think about a TT, they are even harder to work on.

The car was built around the engine.

Unless you have disposable INCOME (not just disposable FUNDS) don’t get a Z32. They suffer from the usual Nissan rusting of the frame rails, the electrical system is often glitchy, HICAS sucks, they are shit on gas. You are further ahead importing a Z32 so you don’t get raped on the price. Or find one a high mileage one with a mint body and buy a new engine (most engine retailers charge 1500-2000 for a low-km VG30DETT)

And for the love of god, if you get a Z32, don’t get a non-turbo or auto one. Or if you do please drive it into a pole so I can steal your hatch (I don’t feel like paying $1000 from Nissan for a new hatch - sans glass).

That being said… I own one, and love it to death. TT, 2-Seater, 5-spd, T-tops.

Cheers

unless you upgrade turbos, IC’s, injectors, ECU etc. etc. Z32’s are pieces of old moldy wood.

i absolutely killed 2 well-modded Z32 TT’s the other week in PA, it wasnt even close and one of them had upgraded turbos and ecu and all that shit…

some people have nice Z’s, jantos’s is sharp and my buddy Josh has a beautiful one. but i would never ever buy one over a 240sx because a SR’d 240sx will walk Z32’s almost every time.

and i second everything justin said, he’s got it dead on and i beleive he owns a turbo RHD Z too.

^^ Nah I picked up my Z before the JDM Z’s were legal. So mine has rot. If it wasn’t for the weight they would be a great contender for the 240SX. They are still very capable cars though, just need more power to make up for their obesity. I’m hoping to get mine on a dyno after I throw some more crap on it. I also need to pull A/C and HICAS, which should save some weight - EVERYTHING in this car is heavy… the damn seats weigh like 30lbs a piece.

What turbos did the guy have on the Z you raced bing? I wouldn’t mind lining up beside you when I’ve got some minor upgrades.

thanks guys, very good points :slight_smile:

z’s are wood unless you want a show car… :wink:

I think the z32’s look fat, but I like any z prior to them, depending on body work some of them are gorgeous

also I saw a totally riced out chameleon blue-ish combat kit whale tail z32 on finch… good thing it was at night and I didn’t go blind from the x-ray refraction paint

I love Z32s, my next car will be a 2+2.

As stated above there are advantages and disadvantages, but ur going to end up spending more money on the Z due to the maintanance they require.

Good luck.

I thought about getting one too, but I’d only do it if I give up on owning a sportscar and wanted pure baller appeal. I think they’re dead sexy, and I always stare at them when I see them, but still… I’d much much rather have a turbo 240.

The advantages about having a Z32 is that is sooo fun to drive and is super sexy! Take the t-tops off and just cruise. Ocasionally ricer-oni’s pull up next to you but its no competition, you KNOW you’d win. And you DO get checked out a lot when seen cruising in one. Although, there are dis-advantages…
Here at my household, we have a few many Nissans (Z32, S13 chuki, MCS14 kouki) and soon, an R32 skyline. Man oh man…the pain in the ass of them all is the Z32. Why? It’s an older car, so parts are harder to find and a lot more expensive. Insurance is high, takes the highest octane of fuel, can’t really drive it in the winter. When you have a rare car such as an Z32 or even an MCS14, you become very paranoid about where you park it; especially at night. TRUST ME. I know first hand.
There is a lot to think about, especially if you are on a budget, than a Z32 isn’t for you. They are very expensive to drive daily because of gas prices and its also hard to find parts. The maintanence is ridiculous too. If you can afford one, I say go ahead and buy one. There are nice RHD Fairlady Z’s from Japan you can import, of course, it will cost you a pretty penny.

HS30 owns both.

HS30 owns both.

HS30 owns both.

HS30 owns both.

HS30 owns both.

HS30 owns both.