The Blue Oval guys get it right!

I am IMPRESSED. Bob had a new Mustang Shelby GT500 on the dyno today. It is rated at 500hp, so we expected ~410-420rwhp. It made 472rwhp bone stock!!! That equates to over 550hp! The blue oval guys seriously underated that beast.

http://www.sport-cars.org/site_img/large/ford-shelby-gt500-11.jpg

Now if they would only do something about the dealer price gouging and and creating a dirty image for what is a good product.

That’s a shitload of power! Too bad it weighs near 4000lbs. How did the torque curve look/peak?

It was basically flat from 2,000-6,000 with close to 450ft.lbs.

I agree about the price gouging, I hear the dealers are getting up to $10K over list. Of course, this often happens with any “hot” model and the manufacturer often has little control, over it (as a matter of law). I, for one, wouldn’t pay it. One reason, along with about 45,000 others that I don’t have one.

Damn thats a great number for bone stock, are they corrected? What do these things usually dyno stock? I remember 87 fox’s 03 cobra had dynoed high completely stock but not that high.

Impressive.

A few bolt ons and you’re at 500.

Good question! Not corrected and the air was good yesterday. ~60 degrees in the shop, fairly dry with a decent barometer. It should still be ~440 under typical conditions though. The coolant and oil were warm but the coolant in the IC circuit was cool. IOW, the car was warmed up under light load (no boost) and then run.

It’s funny, I checked the web and of the Dynoject numbers reported, they varied widely. From below 400 to ~450. So, we didn’t know what to expect. One thing to keep in mind is that blower cars are especially sensitive to heat. The way the engine management is calibrated, it can really interfere with consistent readings. I suspect ours was high due to conditions (as noted) and that we reset the computer before making the pass.

I can’t believe what they trap after a few mods. I’d love to see one with the V6 fascia and wheels. :snky:

One other thing, this car has <50 miles on it. It should make more hp once it loosens up. I have not been tempted so much by a new car in years. The car is in the shop for a pulley upgrade and tuning to go with it. It makes ~8psi stock, the pulley should bring it up to ~12psi and I’d predict low-mid 500rwhp with that kind of boost.

The only cars I would want more than this are way out of my price range. Starting with the M6 and going up from there. The S8, for example, would make a neat daily driver in outr crappy climate. But no way would I spned $100K on a car. Even though I am a GM guy and think the LSx is the best engine family out there, I have not been a 'vette fan since the C2, even though the C6’s are great cars. Viper’s completely turn me off. I simply do not find them appealing.

But that GT500, man I could almost see myself in one of those.

yup :frowning:

I seen one passing a Carrera GT the other day!

Nevermind, that was on TV :lol:

X…

News flash… cars are heavy now. I was just reading about audi’s new mid-engined supercar in Car and Driver this morning and they were all excited it was “only” 3500lbs.

A friend locally will be picking up his GT500 Vert triple black in a few weeks. I get a ride :slight_smile:

:whip:

Yeah the 03-04 Cobras were spinning the dynos much higher than expected too. I SAW one put down 365 to the wheels. They were only rated at 390hp.

Too bad they didn’t do it up right with anything else to support it…

see GT500 vs Saleen

Word, I put down 365/358 corrected bone stock.

It’s a nice car but the problem is its fucking heavy. Its nice to have big numbers to brag about, especially from a stock car like that, but the weight is a killer :ham:

Give me a newly redesigned G coupe any day! (holy shit, did i just really say that? im turning into an import faggor :ohnoes: )

I thought it was a Fat turd when it first came out but then I picked up a 5.0 Mustang Mag w/ Cobra vs. GT500 comparison. All I can say is that the GT500 is sick. Anyone else seen this?

586rwhp & 568rwtq, ran 10.90 @124 w/ slicks & headers added after the comparison. (It has an Intake, exhaust, injectors, 2.6 pulley (13.5psi), ported TB inlet, shifter bushings, adj. 3rd link & rear lower CAs, and tuned)… mag racing is fun

Makes me want a new stang when I start makin real money

These are impressive cars for sure, with a JLT CAI and a retune they’ve been seeing ~510rwhp out of all the cars that have this setup.

There has been one already that has run 9’s with mild work done to it. CAI, Exhaust, Small blower port, 75 shot, and good tires. They ran a 9.96 @ 141!!

get a new zo6 in there and see what it does… it would be interesting just to compare

Not really a fair comparison. They have similar HP but the GT500 is for straight line blasts and Sunday drives. The Z06 is a legit curve carver and a hell of a lot lighter.