The debate 06 R6 VS 06 636

Thats pretty stupid. I want to know what the true logic is behind that on Suzuki’s end.

It’s not truly a 600cc mode since at the end of the day you still have 1000cc’s worth of rotating mass. It has 3 fuel maps, which they call “600, 750, 1000” that should have been called “Mild, spicy, burning hot.” It merely makes it a milder tune on a 600 mode, if you look at the actual dyno map of the “600” mode it would look very different from a real 600cc curve.

Yea that is what I figured, just remember reading about the switch for the different fuel maps. Obviously not going to magically lose 400/250cc’s of mass.

Since Suzuki Liter bikes are notorious for being a Squids weapon of choice, I assume they introduced it more or less as a “learners mode” or even a self safety feature where a hand full of gas will keep you out of trouble. :ponder

I was waiting for someone to chime in with saying exactly what you just said, which again is stupid on Suzuki’s end thinking with a magical button anyone new rider could simply jump on a 1000 and be ok.

According to some sources

“It also featured three different engine mapping configurations, selectable via a three-position handlebar switch; standard, sport, and ‘wet’.”

That makes a little bit more sense.

For starters, a new engine management system enables the inline 4-cylinder powerplant to operate in three different modes. Default is “A” mode, which makes 100% of the power available at all times. Feeling like you don’t want to attack every bend in the road like it’s an apex at Willow Springs? Use the thumb-operated to toggle up or down to “B” mode, which offers tamer power delivery, but will provide all 160 horsepower (measured at the wheel) if the throttle is twisted to full blast. Riding in the rain, or simply feeling a little gunshy? Switch to “C” mode, and the Gixxer becomes even more manageable, with even more sedate power delivery, and less overall thrust-- even under wide open throttle.

Though not quite as sharp-edged and robust as mode “A,” mode “C” is surprisingly gutsy for everyday use, and provides more than enough power for passing, merging onto the freeway, and even showing off at the stoplight. Though some have likened mode “B” to the equivalent of a 750cc engine and mode “C” to turning the GSXR-1000 into a 600cc, “C” actually feels more powerful than a 600. “C” mode makes the Gixxer entirely capable for most road circumstances, with the added benefit of keeping you an extra step away from sliding the rear out during hard acceleration in turns, or maybe slightly reducing the fine of a big fat speeding ticket.

I think that is the exact article I read.

As far as Suzuki says it is for a racing thing where you wouldn’t be able to utilize the full power without it being detrimental to your lap speed, not so noobs can jump on the bike and put it in lower setting and be fine. A lot of the magazines that have reviewed it have said exactly that, by flipping the switch you are not riding a 600, just a slightly less powerfull 1000 so don’t fool your self into thinking its ok for a starter.

now on the other hand if they disabled 3 out of 4 cylinders and turned it into a 250… :nod

Maybe they should take off the fairings and make it a street fighter too?

those japanese are advanced an all, but I doubt they can do THAT at a push of a button.