The For Sale Section

I think this section needs a little bit of work and I figure using this new forum is a good place to bring it up.

Yet again, just more friendly suggestions.

There is a big problem in the for sale section with people making silly comments and posting non-sale related things.

Also, I think it’s really NOT COOL when people post things implying that the seller is on crack trying to charge whatever they are trying to get.

Bashing a products quality, etc should also be a temporary bannable offense and I think more temporary bans should be used. It shows you mean business and it’s more than the slap on the wrist people are getting now like deleted posts and whatnot.

What I DO think is absolutely acceptable is if someone is asking $1000 for a set of tires and there is someone else selling the exact same thing somewhere else for less - I think a link to that is necessary. This helps keep the forum safe from people trying to get more for their gear than it’s worth and it saves the buyers from paying more than they should for something. However, if a case like this there should be no comments associated with the post, just a friendly “http://www.cheaptires.ca has those tires for $850” is good. not: “You’re on crack if you think you can get that much for those tires, http://www.cheaptires.ca has them for cheaper”

I completely blows me away when I see even mods here posting un-called for posts. Useless offensive posts don’t benefit anyone, including the poster. So why do it?

Maybe set up something for us to use to point out offensive/unnecessary posts to the mods here so that they don’t need to read every thread religiously in order to maintain authority over everybody.

Another thing, I think the buyer/seller feedback is a great idea and you should re-instate it with some changes. I’d say restrict this forum to ONLY polls and if you don’t post a response with your negative vote you’re temp banned and your vote will be deleted. It’s as easy as that.

Maintaining this will be easy because those being voted on will be more than eager to report any negative votes with no accompanying post to the mods since their reputation is on the line.

I think others deserve to know who the bad sellers are and why - and I also think they deserve to know who the fantastic sellers are and why. The resources are there we should make use of them.

Just another $0.02 from your friendly neighborhood soon-to-be-hardparker,

Jammin1911

I Very much agree with all said above

I agree with it too, but its hard to enforce.

As for the poll thing, we can’t see who voted negative or positive, so we
are going to clean up the section and re-open it without polls. You simply
make a post +1 or -1 and whoever is reading it can decide for themselves
based on the feedback if they want to do business with this person.

I try my best to keep it clean, but i come home from work and it’s gone to sh1t again.

I’d prefer if we had a Pm only and no replies in the Classifieds, minus the feedback section.

That’s not a bad idea at all actually!

As long as the originator of the thread can post or edit the original post it will be excellent that way. It will keep it clean and then we’ll be able to add any important relevant information to the original post that is gathered via the PMs.

The more I think about this one, the more I like it.

The group buy section would work nicely this way too but there will be no “add your name to the list” anymore, the seller would actually have to maintain their own lists. The only disadvantage I see to doing this in the GB section is that when a group buy thread gets busy it tends to attract even more people because it perks the interest of others. It would also sort of screw up the order when it comes to bumping, because the busy (aka GOOD) group buys should always be at the top of the list if you ask me, and this wouldn’t allow them to get bumped.

I disabled the ability for users to reply in “For Sale” and “Other”

I left the reply ability for WTB, and Cars Buy/Sell because these sections
have alot of legitimate posts.

We can discuss the permissions later, we’ll see how this works for now.
The only problem is users can’t bump their posts now.

There is less need to bump posts now because there isnt going to be chit-chat in the other threads resulting in bumps of those

the threads will be all chronological which isn’t such a bad thing. once they are old enough they’ll be off the first page

iono,

i am probably one of the more active sellers on here and i dont have a problem with people claiming that my stuff is shit.

in fact, many people have done so in my threads and i have not edited it out even though i could.

if you cant support the key features of your product that make it an attractive item to buy at the price you are asking then you dont deserve to sell it.

of course it is uneccessary to be rude about these things but i posted a post like this in GAT exporters torque damper thread.

i sell the same shit for half the price. in my opinion i should have been able to leave it there but i deleted it simply to avoid arguement.

but again…

if you cant defend the claims that your item is not worth what you are selling it for then you do not deserve to sell it.

if someone posts up that your item is not worth what you are asking and you can support that it is then someone who is convinced will buy it.

although I agree with most of what you’ve said - what’s the point?

It’s not about who “deserves” to sell. If we all thought that way this entire forum would be a pretty hostile place, dont cha think?

Regardless, I know I’m not going to be upset with either way the for sale section is - I just think if something can be done to improve a situation why not? Maybe more mods? I’m not too sure exactly how it works now and I know some of the mods work hard to moderate the forums, but there is a lot going on here with 2000+ accounts.

Oh and bing, thats respectable of you to remove the post if you thought it would start up some shiznit, and also respectable to not edit out others posts in your own threads (since the rest of us can’t do that, it wouldn’t really be fair to give your own sales that extra edge). What I personally would have done in the GAT Exporters thread is simply post a link to your own thread and leave it at that - that will give the potential buyers the opportunity to figure it out for themselves. Another option would have been to PM GAT Exporters and just explain that the price isn’t reasonable for whatever reason.

perhaps i could have done that but as much as people might not believe it i am more interested in maintaining a healthy community on here rather than making $40 on a car part.

What part of a polite PM would you consider unhealthy to the community?

Ok so now what if i change the price on something im selling? I cant fucking bump it for people to see, wtf is the point? Some stupid shit going on here, just let people post, its the god damn internet.

Calm down :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s being worked on as we speak.

i for one reluctantly oppose the idea of disabling the reply function for the listed sections/threads. if the forum is public and is able to be viewed, users should have the right to make a response. taking away that right may complicate things. the reason i say i hesitantly oppose the idea is that, as an admin on another forum, this would make my job a lot easier. however, it’s not very practical.

but here’s the clincher. cleaning up the forums is one of the duties of a moderator. not only should they keep the peace, but also keep the forums clean of derogatory or just plain retarded posts. if the current mods can’t handle the volume (which doesn’t seem very large at the moment), then it would be suggested to promote a few more trusted users with mod status.

i know it’s a pain in the ass, especially when you have to deal with a lot of bs and drama. you also need to note the number of users who cause this kind of “trouble”. they are few relative to the number of active users on the forum. no more than a handful or two who can be dealt with in private by the mods/admins.

it’s in our nature to want things to run as smoothly and as easily as possible, but that’s hardly ever the case. but we also have to look at this from a practical standpoint. users should have the right to comment and voice their opinions on sales, be it interested, supportive or not. like bing said, he doesn’t take offense if users tell him his sales are shit. but hypothetically (not actually), just what if bing’s or someone else’s sale actually was crap. users should have the right to address this and make other users aware of this.

there will always be a few retards anywhere you go. it’s all about how you deal with these people. so in conclusion, please don’t let the few immature impede on the rights of the many. my two cents.

Ok, I did some hax0ring to the forum code…so…

Can someone with a regular (non-Mod) account create a thread in the F/S
and then try replying to it?

I agree. Just look at the Front Desk thread we have 3 different thread for the same topic. That what the for sale section will look. A couple more mods will help this out alot.

And also Bing’s items are crap. He sold me a complete DE upper engine harness when what I recieved was a DE upper engine harness that was missing a Knock Sensor. So the morale of this story is Bing you still owe me a knock sensor.

^^^ Since when does an EFI harness include a knock sensor?

A knock sensor is part of the block.

A good point raised regarding this is what happens when someone sells
the same thing to 5 different people collects the money and deny’s it all?

Because all of it was done through PM’s?

Also good point.

And yes i meant the clip or whatever the technical part is called. Bing still owes it to me lol.

its simple only the seller should be able to post in the thread. buyers can use pm or email

the way it sits right now is shit

shit fuck tit ass bitch cunt whore nigger penis jew kyke chink spic wop

dont mind me… just testing word filters…