The Justice System...

Just curious…what would you do if you were locked up for 22 years of your young life for a crime you didnt commit…then released on new evidence? You can’t sue the state…state claims immunity to law suits for wrong convictions. Just curious because I would probably start blowing shit up…lol.

To bad you can’t go commit a bunch of smaller crimes…and used the time served already.

that fucking sucks.

ehh in most cases like this the state will award a larrrgee settlement for the wrong doing.

there was a case of a guy that just got something like 50 million, though it would be a waste to me…22 yrs in prison is a long time no amount of money could make up for that.

:word: I was hearing about this on the radio and shit alot. The guy serves 22 years for a crime he did not do, then when they have the fuck bag that raped the women, they STILL make you stay in jail for another month while you wait on the paperwork. I would sue the fuck out of someone. His life was totaly taken away. He could have had a family, nice house…all this stuff…but no. And the state is just like “oh my bad”.

I was watching the news last night and this Capizzi guy who was convicted of rape got 22 years. The news anchor said the state claims no fault. The analyst they had on the show said the person could not sue and no money would be awarded. Basically the State’s response is " Oppps Our bad" and case closed. Today, most of these fuggin DA’s have hard-ons just to convict with no moral values what so ever.

Wasnt there another recent case of a guy being in jail for 20+, getting out on a wrongful conviction, then murdering someone? It was on CNN about 2 weeks ago

was he also a therapist?

The weird thing is it would take something for them to convict him…

I would like to hear more about the case.

Maybe, but what’s your point?

Thats pretty much bullshit. This guy should get something for losing that much of his life. I would be pissed losing a year to a wrongful conviction let alone 22.

Is it also true that Sanchez cannot be tried for those rapes that the other guy was convicted of? If that is the case, then it’s pretty idiotic. Not that Sanchez will ever see the light of day again…or at least I hope not.

hehehe

http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=46641

I bet he’ll wind up back in jail. After spending his 20’s through his 40’s in jail he’s not going to know how to function in the outside world. He completely missed the computer revolution and how it changed the world he knew. Seriously, what’s he going to do? Go to school? Try to find a job after 20 years of imprisonment, in Buffalo without an education? Either as a way to survive or intentionally to get back in, I bet he starts committing crimes and goes back.

Don’t get me wrong, I hope I’m totally wrong and he does “start again.” I just don’t see it happening. Poor bastard.

^ There definately should be compensation provided.

This is a forum? It’s relevant and on topic? Interesting twist?

I totally agree on going apeshit if I was sent to jail for nothin, wasn’t arguing that. You guys mentioning a destroyed and wasted life, well here’s a guy who’s f’d in the head and it was all caused by a wrongful conviction and spending years in jail surrounded by the mindset of actual criminals. You don’t think there’s anything to be said about that? Maybe because he knew his life went down the shithole already he had nothing to lose, maybe he didn’t get rewarded with a single penny and actually went apeshit, to say “fuck you guys”.

I wasn’t trying to be a dick, I just wondered if you were saying that this guy who was accused of rape might potentially go out and rape for real.

I’m sure the chances have significantly increased, but naw, wasn’t initially implying that, but as Bikerfry and myself suggested, there’s a chance.

p.s., I’m not trying to be a dick either, for the most part I am one, but only if you begin to believe I am. Otherwise, I enjoy a constructive debate with a pinch of sarcasm,

I believe you can sue them for damages (money) if they put you in jail for a crime you didn’t commit, but you have to prove they are negligent.

all in all though, shitty situation. you can’t give him back those years lost.

They said something on the news about how the family said that it’s going to be hard for him to transition to the outside because after spending his adult life in prison he has a “juvenile view of the world.” Like I said, poor guy. But hey, anything’s possible. Some people have a strong enough character to not be damaged by jail. He could become president of South Africa. :gotme:

double jeopardy, you can’t be tried twice for the same crime