The Shop CT-stay away

I’m not familiar with any h.k.s stuff so I can’t say yes or no . But unless people have identical cars and such redownloading tunes isn’t much of a option . Seeing as most software is a vindicated key . I can on my tuning software but its ltd specific and no vin locks

Ive got a tuner in my truck and it can only be programmed to my truck unless I unlock it.
Without unlocking it from my truck I cant make it work in any other truck.

Lolololololol

nobody cares, that’s not what is being discussed

Not talking about plug in toons ITT.

Sometimes my car locks a cd in and I can only listen to show tunes.

and does your GPS lock in the route to Waterworks pub?

I was making fun of you retard…

Subaru and EVOs can use Romraider and ECUflash to get t000nez on the ecu. It’s free and no software key is needed.

yea, i dont think your right… buschur, john bradley (english racing), mellon, tcomp, pretty much NOBODY on evom locks ecu’s anymore.

maybe your unicorn standalone hks fcon pro, which not many people use, well on evos that is, they might lock it. but noth stock ecus or aem… how do you expect people to log their cars? by hopes and dreams?

They can also load the tuners original tune back on the car if they really want to complain about it.

Locking a tune is bogus shit. i would venture that 90% of tuners DO NOT lock the ecu. How is the user going to adjust 2 step and launch control and boost control depending on the EMS being used? Especially if you payed for a nice standalone or chipped/flash EMS, now you cant even use the features you payed for that are built in because your tuner locked it?

Not everyone uses boost, 2 step etc. Different platforms work different ways. Every tuner for my platform locks their tunes. So no one can put that tune in a similae car as a gift, or sale etc. Also so idiots dont blow their own shit up on accident. If i recall correctly, quite a few locals have adjusted tunes made by a place cause they thought they could do better and blew their shit up.

It’s theirs to do what they want with.

Exactly. Locking a tune is literally the same thing as buying an engine that you can’t take apart. And, in my case, it’d be like buying an engine that you did not even know that you can’t take apart until you tried.

Its not theirs to give to someone else for free or sell to other people. Thats someones way of income, to have money to feed their family, to have a life. Then they blow their shit up cause they want to keep adding timing and they pop it, then turn to the tuner with a WTF and point fingers. Even if that tuner didnt do anything wrong, now a bad name is going to be spread. If i was tuning, id lock all my shit up. You need a revision or acess, you conact me and i do what you need.

Did Erik use security fasteners on your valve covers so you could not take them off? Didn’t think so. Tunes are vehicle-specific and won’t work properly on another vehicle, even if the parts are identical.

It is completely impractical for someone to contact a tuner everytime they want to change the ECU. Look at travis the guy clearly didn’t want to be bothered with helping him address the issues, yet he is supposed to go back to him everytime he wants a small change? Maybe 3-4 times in a track day drive out to CT to change it? What planet are you living in? This isn’t a set it and forget it type of deal, there are always minor adjustments to be made to optimize the vehicle. This car is making 400hp per liter, and as everyone would know if he wanted to hit the strip with it, there would be many changes that might need to be made ON THE SPOT. If the customer wants a set it and forget it deal they wont touch the ecu anyway, they would just address any changes or problems with the tuners. Either way the CUSTOMER gets what they want, out of the equipment they payed for, which lead me to my next point.

Its their EMS they bought an EMS so they can adjust the fuel and ignition tables along with many other things, they can no longer do that. The way i see it they are paying for a service, tuning the car. Once the service is complete they now own the ecu, the tune, and the information, after all it is running their engine that they built they aught to know how safe their tune is don’t you think?

If I built a race motor and welded every damn nut and bolt so the thing could never be taken apart for diagnosis in the event of a failure, just to save face or hide “special” engine specs…I’d be ridiculed and called an asshole.

Same goes for locking a PCM.

99% of the people going to a tuner for such a task, are not going to fuck with VE, fuel and ignition maps there after. the 1% that would are on their own if shit hits the fan. I do not tune anything outside old Audi/Porsche CIS systems, and don’t dare get into EFI tuning for so many reasons. I will say that I have dealt with far too many locked PCM’s/DME’s and every last one of them wasn’t hiding any sort of tuning parameters that I’d give away let alone sell off to another person. Locking the PCM is the type of thing someone would do to hide the far too common drop-menu programming that shit tuners do.

Or how about the locked PCM’s on tuner that are no longer in business :retardclap Yeah, dealt with that numerous times too, including the GTR. Even Morgan was put off by that BS when he was attempting to get into that PCM.

Locked PCM’s forces one thing…when something goes wrong the only one that’s able to check the tune for issues is, well, the original tuner. Kind of easy to hide shit. If I build a motor and it blows up under normal/designed operation conditions, I don’t mandate it comes back to me for teardown. I actually encourage the customer to bring in outside un-biased inspection. Only such thing would be sealed spec motors(TTS, SRF, etc, etc) which I don’t build anyway.

Horse shit, plain and simple and no excuse for it. PLENTY of business out there for tuning regardless of tune-freeloaders to void locking the shit up. Anyone who would risk “stealing” and uploading a tune not meant for their car are the fucking people who wouldn’t have paid for the tune to begin with, so there’s still no loss to the companies in the first place.

I guess im living in the world of email tuning 100% and not needing a dyno for everything. You need a revision, you email your tuner a data log and he sends you a new tune. Not that hard of a concept to grasp. Many similar cars run the same type of tune. If i have a car running the same cam/heads etc set up with same or very similar injectors and my friend has a tune that i know will work, why wouldnt i borrow it. Id lock up everything i sent out. So no one can fuck with it or steal anything. Also, different settings etc making more power maybe some people dont know about. They dont want people knowing their methods. Plain and simple, id lock it. Find a tuner that doesnt lock shit and you can break it on your own if you dont like it.

LOL maybe when you are making 80hp per liter you can mess around with emails, if you were making 2200hp on your engine would you at least want a little dyno time?