The Z is dead

Well as most of you now know the Z is dead. I was nearly forced off the road by what I believe was a drunk driver in a Civic, lost control of my car and hit a center median.

I don’t think there is much hope for the car coming back to life. The front subframe is pushed back and to the passenger side about 12 inches, this includes the engine being pushed up against the passenger side fender. The rear driver’s side swing arm was torn from the rear crossmember.

Unfortunately I had just spent the previous 12 hours installing my rear suspension along with the new rear subframe. I got about an hour of driving it and was heading home to sleep before heading to Calgary on Saturday morning when it happened. Luckily I wasn’t hurt at all, but I don’t think the Z is going to shake this one off.

I’ll be going through the car and getting together all of the parts to sell. Someone already has dibs on the complete intercooler setup, but if that falls through it will be here. If anyone is interested in parts let me know and we’ll see what we can work out. I hope to recoup some of my losses since I wasn’t running collision on such a cheap car and unfortunately don’t get shit for a hit and run.

Anyhow, that’s the word on the Z at the moment. I haven’t even lifted the car in the air because I don’t really want to see how bad the damage is.

Matt

Awwww man, I’m sooo sooo sorry to hear that bro. Shitty deal. I hope you came out of it alright physically, and hope that you recoup as much cost as possible.

Best of luck buddy!

Man that really sux!! I’m glad to hear that you are ok man!! Thats the main thing!!

That’s terrible. So sorry to hear that. Glad to hear you’re ok though. I say we should find that Civic and break his knee caps.

Aww NO! Glad to hear you’re ok Matt, but WTF! :oops:

I suppose you didn’t manage to get the guy’s plate #, eh? :frowning:

That blows, sorry to hear that man!

Drunks :axe:

That really sucks. Cant find an old Z shell to drop your drivetrain into? Or are you looking for a new project now(240sx)?

Glad to hear you are okay.

Man, really hate to hear that. Glad your all right. Good luck with your next project

Thanks guys. Quite honestly though I don’t really want another Z. I’m just going to try and recoup as much as possible here and move onto another vehicle.

Right now all I want is something reliable for winter. My transmission blew up in my truck the weekend before this happened so I’ve been forced to put my old Buick on the road.

I really am not having the best of luck with vehicles.

Oh and Kris, believe me, if I could find this shithead I would be making sure he never drove again.

That really sucks Matt! I can honestly say I know exactly how you feel. I was only driving my car for like 3 weeks. But hey, buy a honda, most reliable you can get. Come to the Dark Side!

Jeff

Ahh fucking civics. They always destroy the cool cars.

I suppose you never got a license plate, it’s too bad those cars are so damn common. I didn’t realize that you don’t know who it was.

Ah well, I hope your prospective buy goes good. See ya around dude :rolleyes:

You don’t belive in smashup derby, and bumper cars? Sorry to hear, best of luck with next car.

Jared, sadly I’m a believer of the whole “if you don’t make every attempt to prevent an accident you have a hand in causing it” theory. Sadly my avoidance of hitting this shithead cost me my car.

If anyone happens to see someone driving drunk in a 4-door dark blue or black Honda Civic, please punch them in the head for me. On the off chance that it is the person it will make me feel better, and if it just happens to be some asshole driving drunk … well they deserve a punch in the head anyways.

I suppose it was “a heat of the moment type situation” which led to your judgement call of the median over the civic. I would have hit the civic. I believe in offensive driving,there no defense, without an offense. Anyhow, it’s a good learning experience. I’ve hit my share of cars/immovable objects when I was young driver.

So I punched some guy at work today as he got out of his 4dr navy blue honda… Then I came back and read civic!! NOT ACCORD!! ooops!! :oops:

Hahahaha, Jay.

Well Jared, I was trying to avoid an accident altogether. If I’d known this was going to happen I would have just let the guy hit me, but unfortunately only hindsight is 20/20. I had braked to let the guy in front of me, slid towards the curb and then when I let off the brakes the car kicked around and I was all the sudden going towards the median. I attempted to counter steer but the rear end just snapped around and kept coming (fucking new suspension may have been what caused this).

Anyhow, there isn’t much that I can do about it right now, just see what I can do about salvaging parts and moving on.

What actually really pissed me off was right after the accident happened this drunk guy came walking up and started talking to me. God knows what he was doing out there at 1:30 in the morning. So he walks over and says “Holy shit man, that guy just ran you off the road.”

“I know, did you see his plate”

“Naw man, but your car hit the curb there.”

“Yes I know this.”

“Yeah, you got any spare change?”

I just stared at him in disbelief and said, “no, sorry I don’t have any change.”

ABout 3 minutes later I’m on hold waiting for the cops and the guy walks back over.

“Hey man, you have some change you can spare?”

At this point I had already been told by the people at AMA that it would take hours to get cops out, but I had to talk to them before they would send a tow truck.

Now I am by no means a mean person, but I just lost it on this guy. I was ready to punch him in the face, but I took notice that somebody already had because he had a huge shiner. I swore at him for about 30 seconds telling him that my car had just been destroyed and I was out a couple thousand dollars and he wants my spare change…fuck off, get the fuck out of here, etc etc.

I felt like an asshole afterwards, but I just couldn’t deal with the fucking guy standing around while I waited for a tow truck for an hour.

Then I sat around on a bus stop bench just staring at the car for about 30min as fluid dripped underneath.

Eventually the tow truck showed up and as the guy was lifting it up Blaine from Pro Drag drives by and yells out, “Hey Matt, you should’ve bought a Talon.”

I was just starting to settle down a bit and then that shit happens. Fucking people just kept kicking me when I was down.

So yeah, that was my fun night last Friday.

That’s ok Matt - that guy is an idiot. Like who the fuck is going to give him spare change after a goddamn car accident?

Nice comment by Blaine too. :roll:

Anyway, you’re ok - that’s mostly what’s important. I’m sure you’ll end up with a much faster car sooner than later. :slight_smile:

I might’ve given him a shiner for the other side. Hindsight is always 20/20. In your line of work, I feel you’re going to run into this driver again. The labour part would bother m ethe most having just installed a lot of parts. What goes around comes around. Things are looking up.

Yeah, I couldn’t stop thinking about how much time I’ve put into the car over the past month. Intercooler, rad, electric fan, piping, throttle body, all sorts of remounting and removal of bits in the engine bay. Then the Thursday before and the Friday of the accident I spent about 20 hours modifying and installing a new rear subframe and put it on the road literally 3 hours before it happened. Got about 1 hour driving with the new rear suspension and correct camber. :cry

That sucks Matt. I almost feel bad trying to get a deal by buying your parts.

Almost. :slight_smile: