things shops tell newbs or unaware people

Not what a shop will tell people (actually the opposite probably)
But, its a inncident I had to deal with last night.

[story]I get a call from an older fellow. He proceeds to tell me that he has gone to 3 different places to get his OBDII car inspected. He tells me the reason for failure is, READINESS MONITORS NOT READY. Well, I wonder wtf happened there. I told the guy that you cant just pull the batt. cable, put itback on and everything is good because the light is out. He tells me that AutoZone cleared the code/restet the PCM for him.Told him he has alot of driving since GM cars take forever it seems, for “readiness monitors” to turn on.[/story]
So, yeah…I HATE when people think that disconnecting the batt. fixes everything.

Yeah, that’s terrible. An old guy who doesn’t understand the exact ins and outs of a recent computer system. Let’s lynch him!

the battery died in my dads vette a while back…
he had to drive around all day before they would pass him.
(and take another $21)

and they scraped his (still valid) sticker.
so he was pulled over by a cop in buffalo. cop did him a favour and
let him go without calling for the flat bed. he even told him that he was being nice.

his 03 vett still has less than 3k on it :frowning:

I used to manage monro muffler stores, I my self never pulled that shit and it pissed me off when we were forced to do the oh by the way line .Some was honest but they crossed the line when they told us we need to sell power steering flushes.The best NYS inspection I ever had was on GI.dude comes in and needed 2 new wipers he said ok we do the work.20 mins later the car comes back screeching atr my door and a women gets out screaming how there was nothing wrong with those wipers and she wanted her old parts back .No problem got them showed the rip.She said I want a refund and my old inspection sticker which was over due.I said no your husband signed off saying it was ok for the work to be done the old sticker was destroyed and she demanded her old sticker back I said no.She goes out side changes over the new wipers and puts on the old ones and said well give me my money back for the wipers again I said no.She goes back outside rippes off the new sticker throws the sticker and wiper blades at me I say hold on just one secound.I call 911,I told her a NYS inspection rep was coming down right now.Sheriff pulls in she freaks out the cop asks whats up I showed what she did and wanted other customer backed me up.Cop asks why she is so up set telling him we were ripping her off.He said well you broke the law ripping off the sticker so I have to issue a ticket.Let me see your Id .Customer states I dont have one cop ask why not ? she replies it was suspended for a DWI.I laughed so hard cop smirks.Cop asked her well who drove the car here,well she tells the truth.OK lets take a ride to the station cops asks if we mind holding the car for a bit till a flat bed comes I said no problem.

[quote=“Chuck,post:64,topic:32352"”]

I used to manage monro muffler stores, I my self never pulled that shit and it pissed me off when we were forced to do the oh by the way line .Some was honest but they crossed the line when they told us we need to sell power steering flushes.The best NYS inspection I ever had was on GI.dude comes in and needed 2 new wipers he said ok we do the work.20 mins later the car comes back screeching atr my door and a women gets out screaming how there was nothing wrong with those wipers and she wanted her old parts back .No problem got them showed the rip.She said I want a refund and my old inspection sticker which was over due.I said no your husband signed off saying it was ok for the work to be done the old sticker was destroyed and she demanded her old sticker back I said no.She goes out side changes over the new wipers and puts on the old ones and said well give me my money back for the wipers again I said no.She goes back outside rippes off the new sticker throws the sticker and wiper blades at me I say hold on just one secound.I call 911,I told her a NYS inspection rep was coming down right now.Sheriff pulls in she freaks out the cop asks whats up I showed what she did and wanted other customer backed me up.Cop asks why she is so up set telling him we were ripping her off.He said well you broke the law ripping off the sticker so I have to issue a ticket.Let me see your Id .Customer states I dont have one cop ask why not ? she replies it was suspended for a DWI.I laughed so hard cop smirks.Cop asked her well who drove the car here,well she tells the truth.OK lets take a ride to the station cops asks if we mind holding the car for a bit till a flat bed comes I said no problem.

[/quote]

:eyebrow: you might be the new jeg…

That’s actually pretty funny. Karma bit her on the ass alright…

Haha, I love went people do stupid shit like that, and then it bites them back.

[quote=“Pauly,post:46,topic:32352"”]

The only thing allowed by law(EPA) to turn on the engine light (MIL) is a fault that affects the vehicles emissions.

[/quote]

Tell me how a how throwing a code for a bad TPS effects emissions, or how one for a bad Knock Sensor, or for a Misfire, or for a MAF, there are thousands of codes that can light up a SES light. The whole OBDII inspection is bullshit. I don’t see how a SES tripped for a torque converter or a stuck solenoid in the transmission should fail a car. I would rather have a sniffer test done instead of OBDII bullshit.

[quote=“66impalass,post:65,topic:32352"”]

:eyebrow: you might be the new jeg…

[/quote]

it’s well worth the lack of proper punctuation & grammar. Hell of a read :tup:

[quote=“num482,post:68,topic:32352"”]

Tell me how a how throwing a code for a bad TPS effects emissions, or how one for a bad Knock Sensor, or for a Misfire, or for a MAF, there are thousands of codes that can light up a SES light. The whole OBDII inspection is bullshit. I don’t see how a SES tripped for a torque converter or a stuck solenoid in the transmission should fail a car. I would rather have a sniffer test done instead of OBDII bullshit.

[/quote]

isnt the SES light usually the airbags?

Me: The brakes on her new car have to be replaced because they seized and are dragging. It’s not normal wear and tear, it should be warranty.
Rep at Mazda NA: They seized because of road salt.
Me: That’s correct. Further, encountering road salt is normal operating conditions in Buffalo.
Rep at Mazda NA: There’s an external environment clause in the warranty.
Me: So driving a car in Buffalo voids the warranty? What kind of car do you recommend, since you’re telling me that Mazda’s shouldn’t be driven in Buffalo?

Maybe seized brakes should be warranty, maybe not. Either way I took the guy in circles. He got so flustered when I repeatedly demonstrated that his argument meant that driving a Mazda in a Buffalo winter voided the warranty.

What a design flaw though, the clearance between the slider pins and sleeves is almost nill. Add a bit of moisture and bingo, siezed.

:lol:

SES: Service Engine Soon

Airbag light looks like an airbag or says airbag.

[quote=“num482,post:73,topic:32352"”]

SES: Service Engine Soon

Airbag light looks like an airbag or says airbag.

[/quote]

weird

I’m going by American cars. Cant say anything for others.

[quote=“ly555is,post:69,topic:32352"”]

it’s well worth the lack of proper punctuation & grammar. Hell of a read :tup:

[/quote]

It was, but I had to read it like three times to understand what happened after the cop showed up

[quote=“boardjnky4,post:70,topic:32352"”]

isnt the SES light usually the airbags?

[/quote]

you mean SRS

[/quote]

You’re kidding me right? Do you know what emissions are and how internal combustion works??

[quote=“K Cuv,post:77,topic:32352"”]

you mean SRS

[/quote]

ahhhhhh, indeed i do

[/quote]

:picard: