Thinking about buying a 240sx!

Im new to this forum, I am currently parting out my car and hoping to purchase a 240sx and have it running by next summer.

My current car is a full bolt on, mazdaspeed protege. Tuned on a full Haltech standalone making 235whp on 8psi, gt28rs.

Love the car but I want to try RWD and Nissan motors/trannys seem like they can hold nice amounts of power.
I just have a few questions as I am new to nissans, been doing a lot of research.

Is it worth the extra money and work to go with an RB swap? Also the added weight does it throw the feel of the car off?

I am not trying to build a drift car, I love racing circuit and auto x. What do you guys think would be the best swap?

Thanks!
Justin

i had that weight talk few month back on this forum.

and from what i heard from feint
“RB25 s weight in 240sx wont really matter much (with all the zoom zoom goodie weight) with right suspension setting”

good luck with your build up. :smiley:

I have an rb20, I feel no difference in weight. Anyone who tells you that has never driven one

heya, i would recommend an rx7 fd if you want to build a serious circuit car imo… i dumped a lot of money into my 240 but could have bought an rx7 fd and spent the money on less mods to get it up to the same or higher level. I know this will generate hate this is a 240 forum. I have a 240 obviously and will continue to build it and love my 240 but still if i were to start all over i would recommend an fd rx7 or an s2000… far better suited circuit/grip cars. Although all the lil glitches and flaws of a 240 can be fixed why spend all the time and money and hassle to get it up there when you could start with a car that has 50:50 weight distribution, a better chassis, double wishbone suspension, relatively lightweight/rwd, better looks, etc…

A 240 is a nice car for cheap thrills but when you start getting more serious it starts costing alot of money… going fast costs alot of money… i just believe other cars are far better base cars to build a circuit/grip car than 240… 240s are known for drifting for a reason… of course there are some very well setup grip 240s all over the place (mine is not too shabby either) however this is my honest advice :slight_smile:

And about an RB in a 240… well its been done (grip setups) and with suspension fiddling it’s doable, however weight is weight at the end of the day. Look at all your options seriously. Remember you get what you pay for.

Buy a Miata

hahahahaha miata hahahahaha ill drive a hyundai pony b4 i jump in one of those.

the s14 is 50:50 weight distribution and with a sr20 or kat setup they have been used in many pro series events, what power will you feel with a 1.3 litter?

Homophobic? Lack knowledge of their capabilities? Or just can’t fit?

No it’s not actually. And the rotary to piston engine is an apples to oranges comparison and it’s not truly a a 1.3 its more like a 2.6 and even so its actually quite potent when cooling issues are taken care of (likewise any turbo engine should have cooling issues taken care of in a race environment including the SR). All that is besides the point, the overall package of an rx7 fd vs an s chassis is apples and oranges, the rx7 is far superior in all respects. The 240 was an econo class sporty car, the rx7 was mazda’s flagship car. The 240 has everything against it. Excess bushings in the suspension, non-ideal front or rear suspension, crappy rear traction/grip, flimsy marshmallow chassis, poor brakes, the list goes on. A lot of work is required to get the car up to level. Sorry. As much as I love my 240 these are the facts. I could have had a much better overall package with a lot less work than put into my 240 and I’m still not anywhere near done with what needs to be done. I still need to swap to an s14 rear subframe, get LCAs and uprights modded, a list of things to get the suspension up to level of any other car be it rx7, s2000 or an m3 pick your choice. Bottom line is, it takes alot of work which most are not going to spend on.

Anywho, that’s just my opinion, not going to try to beat into other people’s head… best of luck :slight_smile:

the “best” swap depends on a lot of things. like what your power goal is and how much money you’re willing to spend

the people that say that,
A: have a very small penis or B: have never driven one and are ignorant.

this is a Nissan-240sx forum NOT MAZDA!!!

more then you can handle pal. rotary.
with out a fact that you will need to rebuild damn things every 130k rotary is the way to go. but on the other hand… come on if your building this what ever the motor to race… it will blow b4 it hit 100k anyway no lol lol as a car vs car with out all the other facts around it ill give rx7 a two tumbs up all day any day.

and for those 2 guys with miata… my answer to your question would be C: just cant fit in that damn thing. speaking from the guy who was in 2001 miata 120km/h head on collision against gmc 2500 van. it was the most eaziest car to drive imo. but… due to it being sooo tight inside, airbag hit me right on my knees and i almost lost my ability to walk. well it was a hard hit… since firewall got pushed in by trying to stop the motor being pushed into the shell… oh well… live and learn. lucky for me i was a passenger too lol driver was unconsious for about 3 min or so… worst day in my life…

Just buy a stock 240, throw some coilovers on, nice rims, rip in the ka24de. Nothing wrong with ka’s =/

No If I go with a 240 I will not rip around in a ka. I am coming from a decently quick car and am looking for an upgrade.
A_Ahmed, thank for your opinion, I completly agree and have been looking into the FD also, Only thing scaring me is this car is going to be my DD/weekend track car and I feel bad dd that car!
The other option I am looking into it a Subaru wrx with a STI motor/drivetrain swap.

Buy a GTR.

Two guys who I know of Jim with a black fd rx7 and I forget the other guys’ name with a blue fd rx7 locally run one of the fastest times on cayuga. The other guy with the blue fd rx7 ive spoken to a few times on track days and jim i literally only saw once at scot’s can alignment the same day i waas getting corner balancing… that being said i dont know them personally but i know from videos and on track days that they are very very fast.

The blue fd rx7 owner has a KICK ASS car… which he dailys… i remember last year at shannonville how he was raping a new r35 gtr like it was nothing lol…

Basically all he has are coilovers (5000$ kind of coilovers), rpf1s, r6 slicks for track days if i recall, manual rack and i think he made about 400whp from the rotary… comes to track, leaves the track… thats pretty sweet to me… if i recall both of them run 1:18ish on cayuga… i run 1:26 on cayuga (then again i have a ka with boltons although my car is setup descently power aside)… Their cars are not stripped mine is stripped… The car setup by sasha for briggs has like what 450whp?.. fully prepped race car gutted, ripped apart, lexan, the whole works and does 1:17 was it?.. driven by sasha who is a pro race car driver… so put things into perspective. And our cars (240s) are not exactly comfortable… even with fancy dampers my car is not exactly ‘comfortable’ no matter what i do lol… just nature of the beast.

In other words it would be an even better ride for a dd/track beast imo… the chassis and suspension is superior… why do you think miatas kick so much as too? Their chassis and suspension… miatas imo are like baby fd rx7s heh…

Plus I can’t lower my car more until I get lca/spindles worked out to correct roll center and such… otherwise it really sucks ass driving a lowered 240… comfort aside i mean handling/grip… it blows. Double wishbone equiped cars on the other hand don’t have as much of a nightmare as an econo sport box car with mcpherson strut front or the multilink setup that our cars have… its not bad… hey even 911s and bmws have mcpherson strut setups but… our setup is poop and needs alot of work…

If I had unlimited budget, I would do up an fd rx7 with an ls7+t56, ccws, fat tires front and rear, mad aero, stripped/gutted/lexan the whole works and call it a day… i dont mind driving a stripped out car >_> but im just a crazy kind of guy lol…

Look at it also this way… since we’re talking japanese cars… which ones set the fastest times around tsukuba? Most of them are what? RX7s, evos, gtrs… thats about it… and there are 240s, s14s and s15s in particular… however with a shit load of work and basically no longer real cars but real race cars lol… rx7s on the other hand still most of the time have interiors and such… pretty bad ass… i mean look at the re amiyama (sp?) blue fd rx7… that shit is smooooooth, fast and just plain kick ass :slight_smile: Whenever they have touge battles it just kicks ass so much… that blue fd rx7 by the local guy kicks just as much ass… its sooo smooth, fast and transitions smoothly and quickly on the track… i loved watching it in action… the new r35 gtr looked like a rolling truck in comparison lol.

Been there, done that… Not fun DD’ing a “track” car.

Best option is two cars, one that’s practical and one that’s fun…

^ true say.

^ x3…
if you’re going to DD and track a car at the same time you’re going to have to make compromises in order to conform to both standards. by all means, i think it is possible to have a DD that can still be fun of the track, but if you come from a fast background and want to have a track car that can really rip, it may be hard to daily drive it as well. just start with a mild track setup, and get used to the whole RWD thing, and after that you can try turning the boost up or whatever you want to get the power you want.