Thoughts: Bike For ~$2500 bones

I’m thinking about buying a used Buell Blast any thoughts or pointers on what to look for? Thanks guys.

belt driven, slow, etc etc… harley reliability… lol

check basics like rotors, pads etc etc… rotors cost ALOT on bikes… there is no chain like i said, so check the belt for wear and tear…

how much? what year? mileage? etc etc…

could be a good learner, but you will get bored fast

my dirt bike has a bigger motor, i really wouldnt bother

I love buell bikes but i must say NO NO NO NO NO NO total waste.

pick up an sv650 they are a great bike and used it should be in the same price range.

+1 on the SV650. Very broad powerband, excellent bike to start on, but still enough power to have a lot of fun with once your skills improve.

and a plethora of aftermarket support… for go fast handling parts :slight_smile:

lots of gsxr / 636 parts are interchangeable…

im still an I4 guy… i hate wrenching on things…

Yah I don’t really want speed from it, I’m more looking for MPG. Hopefully my car will be faster then anybike i own :wink:

I had a 1979 cb750F and really miss riding. I was even thinking about an enduro.

What I would love to buy is a cb599 hornet if i can find one in my price range.

It was a 2003 buell blaster 2200 miles asking 2100…i’m thinking about offering 1700-1800 for it.

I want a naked bike.

http://static.blogo.it/motoblog/Hornet2007_01.jpg
http://www.moto-station.com/ttesimages/motodivers/nouveautes2006/Honda_CB600-Hornet_Wakizashi_06_st2pz.jpg

IDK lol

Aw jeeze. It’s not even your first bike? For the love of God don’t do it. It’s a fucking starter bike for girls. That Honda 4 banger you had was way more bike. You’ll hate it.

get a super moto, you will not be dissapointed

z1000 if you must have a naked bike… or the triumph speed triple… ;)… if its not your first bike you will be bored immediately… and any modern 600 will be faster than your car (most likely)

Well I hope my car can beat up on some 600’s this summer, but we will see.

How are the cb599’s ? I don’t want to spend a boat load of money, but would like something fun to zip around on. I’d also like it to get some good gas millage to try to save me some money during the summer running to school and work etc.

Are the blasts actually crap or are they just slow? I mean I don’t really care about speed on a bike, it really just needs to be able to be taken on the highway, and ride double sometimes.

I’ll keep on looking I guess thanks for talking me out of this guys…lol :slight_smile:

you aren’t going to spend ~1800 on gas in a summer…so save yourself the money and dont buy?

Keep the recommendations coming bc I’m in the same boat for the summer.

are they crap? no. they will run and get you from a to b. They are however one of the most boring things to toss a leg over though.

If you have your license, as the weather gets warmer go to a few dealers and take some used bikes for rides and find one that is enjoyable as well as practical.

:tup: as for the 599, its the same motor that on a cbr f4 i believe… and with what i said about the 600’s being able to beat the car, every new 600 is in the 10’s now… lol… bikes are ridiculous… y not pick up a 2000 ninja zx-6r… can be found for relatively cheap and are super reliable… or an f4i and sell the fairings on ebay… now you have a reliable, fi, daily, thats quick, bulletproof, and if your creative, looks nice too…

id shy away from the buell blast, i never have met anybody who owned one and liked it, fwiw…

It’s just that there’s absolutely no reason to buy one unless you have to have a beginner bike and it has to be a Harley product. Even then a Sportster would be a way better bike, but they’re pricey.

Actually I enjoy riding so thats just a plus.

Think about the mpg though. My jeep gets 18mpg all day long, maybe 20 if your lucky on the highway. The vette will get 25 highway averages around 20, which I don’t think it gets anymore. So say my cars will net me 20mpg. Some people claim up to 60mpg on a small bike. Thats 3 times the mileage. I average $50-$75 a week in gas. Say I get an easy 6 months out of riding and ride the bike 1/2 the time I drive. That gives you 6 month x 4 weeks x $75 a week x 1/2 time riding vs car x 1/3 gas consumption. That give me a $300 a summer savings in gas.

So If I spend $2500 on a bike and save $300 in gas a year that isn’t bad in my eyes. I will though be spending xxx to insure it yata yata…All in all I don’t think it will be a bad investment. If you take into account I will only buy a bike if I get a good deal on it I’ll save more.

My last bike I rode for 2 years and made $1000 more then I had invested into it. Not including gas savings.

I’ll keep my eyes open and keep looking then.

zx-6r and f4i will be a good idea…are they easy to strip down?

buy my GSX-R…

I don’t want a sport bike, plus I don’t want to spend anywhere near that much. Good luck though!!

What about a Honda Nighthawk?
http://www.bikez.com/pictures/honda/2002/20004_0_1_2_cb%20750%20nighthawk_Image%20by%20Honda.%20Published%20with%20permission..jpg

Its a 750…the same one honda uses on the sport bikes?

honda doesnt have a 750 sportbike… its real easy to take fairings off a bike, then buy a acerbis headlight and blinkers and u have an I4 that gets 40 mpg and is reliable as hell… nighthawks arent bad… i think fry owned own… he’ll chime in im sure